Hunting A Rogue Asiatic Elephant

Dear Professor Mawla,

I truly enjoyed reading your very detailed account of sorting out that deadly rogue bull elephant.
Thank you for posting it.

Kind Regards,
Paul (Velo Dog).

Wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

I truly hope that everyone has enjoyed my relating of this incident . If you all have enjoyed it , then I can write one or two more in the next few days .

The End

Well done Professor, that was a hair raising hunt, and what a trophy, I didn't realize that the Asian Elephants tusks grew that large. :Finger:

Quick thinking about the last shot to prevent your death, it may not have been sporting, but it's rare for anyone to outrun a rogue elephant. You have also got to be very brave to make your stand against a charging elephant too. Thankfully you survived to tell the story. :)

Either way, I was not aware that there was a difference in skull proportions between the male and the female species of Asian Elephant.

Is this because male elephants are larger in size, or, if you put two equal size bodied elephants, Bull and Cow together will the bull still have a thicker skull???

Also, I have read articles on the profile of an African Elephants Skull, but I cannot recall if they mentioned whether the female elephant of the African species shares the same skull thickness as their Asian Cousin?

Great story and well told.

Thank you

Regards

Rob

Professor Mawla mentioned the following, 'Bangladesh Ordinance Factories 215 grain round nosed copper jacketed solid ammunition ( when Major Poton Khan Sir later became a supervisor at the factory from 1982 to 1988 , he had the jacket material altered from copper to steel and the nose profile altered from round to meplat ) .'

Major Khan, you must be a man of great influence to promote the above changes to the .303 British Cartridge in the Munitions Factory. Besides being a lot cheaper to produce, and copper being expensive, were there any particular reasons with this recommendation. ?

Regards
Rob

Well done Professor, that was a hair raising hunt, and what a trophy, I didn't realize that the Asian Elephants tusks grew that large. :Finger:

Quick thinking about the last shot to prevent your death, it may not have been sporting, but it's rare for anyone to outrun a rogue elephant. You have also got to be very brave to make your stand against a charging elephant too. Thankfully you survived to tell the story. :)

Either way, I was not aware that there was a difference in skull proportions between the male and the female species of Asian Elephant.

Is this because male elephants are larger in size, or, if you put two equal size bodied elephants, Bull and Cow together will the bull still have a thicker skull???

Also, I have read articles on the profile of an African Elephants Skull, but I cannot recall if they mentioned whether the female elephant of the African species shares the same skull thickness as their Asian Cousin?

Great story and well told.

Thank you

Regards

Rob
@Dinosaur
Thank you very much for not only enjoying my writing , but also for understanding my predicament when that rogue elephant charged me and first two frontal brain shots were not working .

Yes , female Asiatic elephants lack tusks and their skulls are nowhere as thick as their male counterparts. An Asiatic elephant bull has a skull which is twice as thick as the skull of an Asiatic elephant cow . Their bone density is also noticeably greater than that of an Asiatic elephant cow . As a matter of fact , a premium quality soft nose bullet being fired from a large calibre rifle at a decent velocity ( such as the newest bonded 500 grain Hornady Dangerous Game eXpanding soft nose factory loaded ammunition being fired from a .458 WM , at a velocity of 2140 feet per second ) is capable of penetrating the skull of an Asiatic elephant cow from any angle . The same rifle & ammunition combination would would only serve to infuriate an Asiatic elephant bull , ever further . For Asiatic elephant bulls , only solid bullets should be used with thickened steel jackets and ( preferably ) meplat nose profiles .

Major Khan, you must be a man of great influence to promote the above changes to the .303 British Cartridge in the Munitions Factory. Besides being a lot cheaper to produce, and copper being expensive, were there any particular reasons with this recommendation. ?

Regards
Rob
@Dinosaur
Please allow me to explain . The Ordinance Factories were manufacturing full metal jacket .303 British 215 grain ammunition to supply to the Maulvi Bazaar and Bardanban Forest Guards , who often need(ed) to sort out rogue elephants from time to time . Initially , a copper jacket and a round nosed profile were used for these 215 grain full metal jacket bullets . However , field use over the next one decade showed that these copper jacketed round nosed bullets were quite prone to distorting whenever used for frontal brain shots against large elephant bulls .

Major Poton Khan Sir ( as I am sure that everyone here is aware ) used to be a professional hunter ( and and extremely competent one , at that ) in India before the war broke out in 1971 and the Indian government completely banned all forms of hunting in 1972 . He had proper knowledge about what kind of bullets would offer the greatest degree of penetration against thick skinned dangerous game . He recalled a very specific type of full metal jacket bullet which used to be produced by Hornady ( for the hand loading market ) during the time of his career as a professional hunter . They were available in .308 calibre , .375 calibre and .458 calibre . And prior to 1962 , they would employ copper clad steel jackets and slightly flattened nose profiles ( from 1962 to 1980 , Hornady omitted the steel jacket in favor of a cupronickel jacket with the intention of reducing manufacturing costs . During this time , bullet performance and reliability had deteriorated drastically) . Using these 1950s era Hornady full metal jacket bullets as a source of inspiration , Major Poton Khan Sir suggested producing a batch of full metal jacket 215 grain .303 calibre ammunition at the factory to his specifications . He specified replacing the copper jacket with a reinforced steel jacket and making the nose slightly flattened at the point . Upon using these new .303 calibre full metal jacket loads against rogue elephant bulls , the significant improvement in straight line penetration and the significant reduction in bullet deformation had become quite obvious . From then onwards , all of the Bangladesh Ordinance Factories full metal jacket 215 grain .303 calibre ammunition ( which gets supplied to the armory of the Maulvi Bazaar and Bandarban Forest Guards ) has been built to Major Poton Khan sir’s 1986 specifications.

Thanks for sharing!

@Dinosaur
Please allow me to explain . The Ordinance Factories were manufacturing full metal jacket .303 British 215 grain ammunition to supply to the Maulvi Bazaar and Bardanban Forest Guards , who often need(ed) to sort out rogue elephants from time to time . Initially , a copper jacket and a round nosed profile were used for these 215 grain full metal jacket bullets . However , field use over the next one decade showed that these copper jacketed round nosed bullets were quite prone to distorting whenever used for frontal brain shots against large elephant bulls .

Major Poton Khan Sir ( as I am sure that everyone here is aware ) used to be a professional hunter ( and and extremely competent one , at that ) in India before the war broke out in 1971 and the Indian government completely banned all forms of hunting in 1972 . He had proper knowledge about what kind of bullets would offer the greatest degree of penetration against thick skinned dangerous game . He recalled a very specific type of full metal jacket bullet which used to be produced by Hornady ( for the hand loading market ) during the time of his career as a professional hunter . They were available in .308 calibre , .375 calibre and .458 calibre . And prior to 1962 , they would employ copper clad steel jackets and slightly flattened nose profiles ( from 1962 to 1980 , Hornady omitted the steel jacket in favor of a cupronickel jacket with the intention of reducing manufacturing costs . During this time , bullet performance and reliability had deteriorated drastically) . Using these 1950s era Hornady full metal jacket bullets as a source of inspiration , Major Poton Khan Sir suggested producing a batch of full metal jacket 215 grain .303 calibre ammunition at the factory to his specifications . He specified replacing the copper jacket with a reinforced steel jacket and making the nose slightly flattened at the point . Upon using these new .303 calibre full metal jacket loads against rogue elephant bulls , the significant improvement in straight line penetration and the significant reduction in bullet deformation had become quite obvious . From then onwards , all of the Bangladesh Ordinance Factories full metal jacket 215 grain .303 calibre ammunition ( which gets supplied to the armory of the Maulvi Bazaar and Bandarban Forest Guards ) has been built to Major Poton Khan sir’s 1986 specifications.
Very interesting? Experience usually has the best answer for any problem.

I immediately looked left and right , worried about where the rogue might be . Finally , my eyes locked with a massive pair of bloodshot red eyes staring at me from behind the coconut trees . It was the rogue . He had ambushed us by standing perfectly still amidst all of the coconut trees and had somehow managed to blend perfectly in with the foliage . By reading this part , I am certain that many will question exactly how difficult it might be , to spot a huge elephant . Those who have actually had to hunt elephants will know that it is actually quite difficult to do so in thick cover . Asiatic elephants have a surprisingly stealthy ability to quietly move through forests and get behind their quarry , should they wish .

The rogue was about 30 yards away from us , when he decided to charge . He loudly blew his trunk and had his ears cocked back . Lahiri nervously got behind me and I hurriedly raised my .458 WM to my shoulder , flicking off the safety catch . I lined up my sights , intent on making a frontal brain shot . During the war in 1971 , the Bangladeshi soldiers stationed in the Maulvi Bazaar forests often needed to shoot Asiatic elephants to source fresh meat for supplementing camp rations . This was often done by shooting the animals to death , with jeep mounted .50 calibre Browning M2 HMG ( Heavy Machine Gun ) units . Since I used to aid in the butchering process , I knew the anatomy of Asiatic elephants rather well . An elephant bull’s skull was roughly twice as thick as an elephant cow skull . The skulls are much thicker at the front than at the sides . The bone structure of the skull is honeycomb like with pockets of fluid . The brain is roughly the size of a football and located back in the head . Attempting to visual the rogue’s brain , I fired .

The elephant’s head recoiled slightly , as if someone had pelted him with a rock . But he came on , unfazed . Cycling the bolt , I gave him another frontal brain shot while he closed about 20 yards distance . Again , the elephant’s only reaction to the shot was a slight flinch . Lahiri now started screaming at me in terror , that I had loaded my .458 WM with soft nosed rounds by mistake . He took to his heels and began to run , yelling at me to do the same . But I still had one last round in the magazine and decided to switch tactics . Cycling the bolt frantically , I took aim once again . The rogue was less than 12 yards away . What I did next was not my proudest moment , but to quote Major Poton Khan Sir “ Self preservation is a man’s first duty “ .

I fired at the right knee of the elephant bull and I could hear a loud snapping noise . The elephant’s leg bone broke and gave away , as the elephant loudly crashed onto the ground . He was dazed and confused ; struggling to regain his footing . But to no avail . A Royal Bengal tiger with one broken leg , can still attack the hunters . However , an elephant ( on account of it’s great weight ) will not be able to move . I reloaded the magazine of my .458 WM with three more rounds and cautiously approached the immobilized rogue ; taking care to avoid his trunk . The confused elephant was painfully moving his massive head from left to right . He was far too preoccupied to even look at me , although he certainly noticed me . Raising my .458 WM to my shoulder , I took aim at the point behind the rogue elephant’s left ear and fired . The elephant dropped dead ; the 500 grain .458 calibre round nosed steel jacketed solid bullet having penetrated into his brain .

Later that day , an autopsy was conducted on the rogue elephant . The reason for his aggression was soon discovered . About a dozen large maggots were found squirming around , inside his brain . My three Winchester 500 grain round nosed steel jacketed bullets were also recovered from the elephant’s head . The first two ( used for attempting the frontal brain shots ) were badly deformed . The steel jacket had ruptured and the nose had flattened . The lead core was found squished out of the back of the bullet base . The third bullet ( used for making the fatal side brain shot ) was still reasonably intact , but had buckled slightly . The construction of those 500 grain Winchester round nosed steel jacketed “ solid “ bullets clearly left quite a bit to be desired . The rogue had reasonably heavy tusks . About a hundred pounds per side . To this date ,the tusks may be seen in the head office of the Maulvi Bazaar Forest Guards .

We decided to gift the meat of the rogue elephant to all of the Upojati trackers employed by the Maulvi Bazaar Forest Department , because we knew that the Upojatis consider elephant meat to be a rare delicacy . They were incredibly grateful to receive so much fresh meat , as a reward for their services . The Upojati tribes ( used to ) have a very particular method for cooking elephant foot . First , a hole was made in fairly hard ground and a fire was built in this hole . The fire was kept burning , until the temperature was high enough to warrant removing the fire . The entire foot (skin included ) was now wrapped in banana leaves and placed in the hole . The whole setup was covered in earth and a fire was kept burning on top , for three days . I was fortunate enough to try the finished product with some paratha flat breads and I must admit that it did not taste bad . Especially after being washed down with a cold Budweiser beer .
View attachment 363802
The author ( seated , right ) and the villagers preparing to transport the rogue’s corpse to the head office of the Maulvi Bazaar Forest Guards for assessment . September 20 , 1977
@Professor Mawla
No wonder the poor beast turned rouge. It may have been unfortunate to have to have dropped the beast by shooting it in the leg but as our good friend Major Poton Kahn would say desperate times call for desperate measures. After seeing elephants in the wild in Namibia. I was very surprised at how quiet they actually move. A 5 ton elephant moves quieter than a 100 kilo man.
An excellent story of times past. It is with great pleasure I read your reminisces with the same pleasure as your friends Major Khan, Sgt Rahman and Panther Shooter. Keep writing my friend I will gladly keep reading.
The 50BMG would have been an awesome weapon for the elephant. A 3 round burst to the head would end any argument very quickly.
Bob Nelson.

@Dinosaur

[/QUOT
@Professor Mawla
Our friend Major Khan is truly a man of many talents. Until you told us of his involvement in the design of the .303 215grain full metal jacket bullet I had no idea of this. He is a humble man when it comes to his achievements. Even at the age of 80 to be able to have enjoyable and successful shikars is amazing.
It would be a great pleasure to sit down and talk to all you fine gentleman but alas in these times it is not possible so I will be content to read your reminisces.
Bob Nelson.

@Professor Mawla
No wonder the poor beast turned rouge. It may have been unfortunate to have to have dropped the beast by shooting it in the leg but as our good friend Major Poton Kahn would say desperate times call for desperate measures. After seeing elephants in the wild in Namibia. I was very surprised at how quiet they actually move. A 5 ton elephant moves quieter than a 100 kilo man.
An excellent story of times past. It is with great pleasure I read your reminisces with the same pleasure as your friends Major Khan, Sgt Rahman and Panther Shooter. Keep writing my friend I will gladly keep reading.
The 50BMG would have been an awesome weapon for the elephant. A 3 round burst to the head would end any argument very quickly.
Bob Nelson.
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Thank you very much . Your assessment is very true . We often think that ( on account of it’s massive size and weight ) an elephant can easily be spotted even from a distance . But nothing could be further from the truth . Especially in regards to the Asiatic jungle elephant . They move through dense vegetation extremely stealthily .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!