Hunter Loyalty

I like some others on this thread certainly prefer to see different parts of a country or even different countries! I like what other have said about talking to your guy you have been with before and find out what he can do for you. The first outfitter I hunted with i SA I loved, but he does not have bushbuck and this was high on my list plus I wanted to see other parts of the country, so I ventured out.

I think this is a great topic, and one that many guys on here think about/struggle with. I am sure for a lot of people, their experience will dictate their decision..... as it should. If your trip was miserable & it sucked. You won't go back. However, it was amazing, you have a relationship now with the Outfitter, it's natural to feel comfortable in that decision. Personally, getting to see different parts of the country, the landscape, people & animals is a big draw. I don't want to go back and repeat first trip. Even though it was amazing. However, it was been there done that. My guy had concessions elsewhere, so he could facilitate. Like the other dudes said..... open up the communication, clear the air.... if someone is $4k different on an animal, with experience/levels of service similar. You are crazy not to take the lower. Your friend the PH, would have to agree. If it were a couple hundred, that would be a tough decision.....a couple thousand... That would be easy. And neither side should take offense.

I know one of the big discussions or pain points that outfitters have is that a client will not always return even if they had a great hunt. I had a fantastic hunt in 2016 and the PH I hunted with started his out safari outfit. I definitely recommend him and had a great hunt. We have stayed in touch and I always talked about coming back to hunt with him. I met his family and they were all fantastic. I tried to help him get atarted, reaching out for auctions and potential clients. However, for some reason after my hunt in Zim, our communications slowed. In the planning phase for this hunt, questions would go unanswered and I had to ask him twice for a price list.

The portion I quoted is where I see red flags, albeit perhaps explained. A few thoughts off the top of my head:

1) The PH started his own outfit you say. There is a big difference in effort required when you're the outfitter. If he is playing dual roles of PH and outfitter, it may be that he has been overwhelmed by the amount of work he has to put into starting up and running this new business. This may explain the reason for the slow comms. All may be fine if you book with him if this is all it is, however his sable trophy price may be reason to not.

2) Sable trophy fee may be high for a reason, is the quality of his trophies that much better? I kind of doubt it, but maybe.

3) My biggest concern with the slow comms is that things aren't going very well and you could be stepping into a problem if you book with him.

As most of you had said if it was a couple of hundred no big deal, but when you start getting into thousands I start to go how can I justify that but also justify it to my group as well as they are relying on me.

I think trophy quality is usually a driver of price. The Sable are the same. I want a Kudu as well and so do others in my group. The original PH has kudu broke out my inches (plus 55 inches a higher price). Which is a little bit of a pet peeves of mine. The other outfitter I know for a fact got a 60incher for one of his clients and it is the same price regardless of size.

I think bottom line is I need to man up and just have an honest conversation and just hope I don't burn a bridge.

@PHOENIX PHIL your point #3 is something that concerns me as well and has crossed my mind. With the hesitation on pricelists reenforced that doubt.

If he is playing dual roles of PH and outfitter, it may be that he has been overwhelmed by the amount of work he has to put into starting up and running this new business. This may explain the reason for the slow comms. All may be fine if you book with him if this is all it is, however his sable trophy price may be reason to not.

I was thinking along the same lines. Starting up a business is a very time consuming and draining task.

Your buddy: If it was me, I would not be hunting with him this time because you're basically responsible for your party's money (being the ring leader in the group). So this is just not a 15k mistake that involves you; it's that number x however many people you're bringing with you.
Now if you're still kicking it around, I'd be calling your buddy and getting the real low down. Him being too busy to provide good responses is a red flag. If he gives you a truthful response about him being swamped or things aren't going quite as planned (and more importantly apologizes), maybe you can send your business his way to help him out. That being said though, I wouldn't save his butt and risk the other people you're taking.
Perhaps give him a few years to get all his stuff in order and maybe you can do business next time.

Your way out is "Sorry man, I've got 2-3 other people going with me and they all prefer the other place. I have to make them happy"

If you get good references from an established outfitter with good communication, I'd play it safe and go there. It seems you've done your homework.

For the ultimate safe bet, why not think about going back to your original outfitter? Unless there's a reason your PH buddy left, you know what you're getting in to.

Been there done that, made great friends the first trip but wanted to have a different experience in a different area of South Africa so went to the Eastern Cape and had an excellent experience there. I was planning my 3rd safari for 2018 but this time I wanted to go for DG. my outfitter/PH from the Eastern Cape is also a DG outfitter and a good friend (he stays with us when in Canada). He would guide me free range in Mozambique but another offer came up that I just couldn't pass up in Zambia. I discussed this with my buddy/PH and he just couldn't match the offer so I booked the hunt in Zambia. My buddy/P/H totally understood. So have the discussion with your PH and if he gets out of shape over it then he's not much of a friend. Africa is huge and every area has something different to offer.
Just my 2 bits

I've hunted SA and Namibia numerous times and have made several friends in both countries, some I've hunted with multiple times and would love to hunt with again others no. I have made friends who are PHs in SA and Namibia that are coming to Idaho in 2018 to hunt elk, mule deer and bait bear. I cherish their friendships but as one said we're not married, we're friends and some times do business. They have no problem that some times I hunt elsewhere.

The best way to separate the friendship/business argument is very simple
I invite friends hunting and don't charge them (will split costs if any though while hunting together)

Its a business, one where rates can be adjusted to be helpful, but don't confuse the fact that it is still a business, each hunt has a profit/loss statement and the outfitter can adjust what his/her profit margins are for each hunt

Should slow or lack of communication be an Africa issue anymore? I remember people saying I have been out, in the bush, no data, roaming, etc..... all good excuses. However, I thinks safe to say. Damn near every African I have seen including trackers have a smartphone & they are on it non friggin stop. So if person is being avoided.... or not responded too.... what's one to think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg