How to pack pelican case

Probably you can, but will this provid as much support and at the right places that a cut out foam and diamond shaped thick foam on top will provide?
I haven’t had an issue with that. I heard it first from Joseph Von Benedikt who said he does it a bunch and hasn’t reported issues.

I also have extra down throw pillows to pack in just in case I need to fill more of the void.
 
I have a question for those of you that take scopes off.
If you’re taking them in your carryon I can see the logic from a theft point of view. But if you’re putting it in the same case as the rifle you’re making it easier to steal and I don’t see how being separate from the rifle but in the same case affords any additional protection. The scope is still subject to the same forces and impact as if it was attached to the rifle.
Can you help me understand the benefits?
If my rifle(s) is packed in a soft case, inside an otherwise high-quality padded case, I'm leaving the bolt in the gun(s) and the scope(s) on. Especially if the scope(s) isn't in QD mounts. (If the airline (Delta) requires the bolt to be out, that's different).

Not seeing the benefits of separating either from the rifle.
 
I have never removed the bolt or scope.
I remove a layer of foam and use at least one soft case. (you will need a soft case every day in vehicle)
If room I will add binos, range finder, knife.
I have added clothes only to fill voids, add more cushion and /or max out on minimum weight.

Other info
- use all the locks you can and bring extra locks & keys
- go to the airport an hour earlier then if you would be not traveling with firearms
- I also add an apple luggage tag
- keep key locks and firearms permit /customs paperwork in your carry on

Enjoy
 
- go to the airport an hour earlier then if you would be not traveling with firearms
- I also add an apple luggage tag
Give you extra peace of mind.
 
I have never removed the bolt or scope.
I remove a layer of foam and use at least one soft case. (you will need a soft case every day in vehicle)
If room I will add binos, range finder, knife.
I have added clothes only to fill voids, add more cushion and /or max out on minimum weight.

Other info
- use all the locks you can and bring extra locks & keys
- go to the airport an hour earlier then if you would be not traveling with firearms
- I also add an apple luggage tag
- keep key locks and firearms permit /customs paperwork in your carry on

Enjoy
Solid advice.
 
Cut out foam and place your rifles up towards the handle. In your case I’d put scoped rifle on top with scope on. I always remove the bolt and use electrical tape to tape to the barrel. I don’t want that stress point on rifle or case if it’s handled poorly or a lot of weight is packed on top of case with bolt in. I’d highly suggest electrical taping the bolt to barrel. I previously tried cutting pockets in foam but they can move during travel. Also, you might get an idiot at TSA or customs that won’t allow you to touch your case other than taking locks off and putting locks on. It’s happened a few times. They don’t care how case is arranged inside. One actually dumped the foam completely out of my case lifting the deep side of case instead of the shallow side.
IMG_1033.jpeg
 
Cut out foam and place your rifles up towards the handle. In your case I’d put scoped rifle on top with scope on. I always remove the bolt and use electrical tape to tape to the barrel. I don’t want that stress point on rifle or case if it’s handled poorly or a lot of weight is packed on top of case with bolt in. I’d highly suggest electrical taping the bolt to barrel. I previously tried cutting pockets in foam but they can move during travel. Also, you might get an idiot at TSA or customs that won’t allow you to touch your case other than taking locks off and putting locks on. It’s happened a few times. They don’t care how case is arranged inside. One actually dumped the foam completely out of my case lifting the deep side of case instead of the shallow side.
View attachment 795665
I’m not sure about taping the bolt to a blued barrel like that.
 
I’m not sure about taping the bolt to a blued barrel like that.
Why? Electrical tape doesn’t really leave residue. Easy to wipe off. I do a lot of hunts with electrical tape at end of barrel to prevent rain and snow getting in too.

Edit: I’m guessing you’re worried about scratching bluing? You can put bolt in a sock then tape to barrel.
 
Last edited:
Consider removing all foam and just put clothing and gear in to pad it for flight. Saves a bag, and the odds of an airline losing a gun are MUCH less than losing/delaying standard baggage.
I've had TSA tell me to remove clothing from a gun case. I figured it wasn't worth arguing about, since you are not likely to win with TSA.
 
Why? Electrical tape doesn’t really leave residue. Easy to wipe off. I do a lot of hunts with electrical tape at end of barrel to prevent rain and snow getting in too.

Edit: I’m guessing you’re worried about scratching bluing? You can put bolt in a sock then tape to barrel.
Yeah in the picture it looks like a lot of metal to metal contact.
 
This is what I put my bolts in when packing them in a pelican case.

TOURBON Rifle Bolt Holder Carrier Pouch Case Wallet Cover | Easy Belt Carry, Padded Lining, Zipper Closure, fit Bolts like 6.5 Creedmoor, Remington 700, .243, .375H&H,and more https://a.co/d/0gUrRBBh
 
  • Like
Reactions: V42
I have a question for those of you that take scopes off.

If you’re taking them in your carryon I can see the logic from a theft point of view. But if you’re putting it in the same case as the rifle you’re making it easier to steal and I don’t see how being separate from the rifle but in the same case affords any additional protection. The scope is still subject to the same forces and impact as if it was attached to the rifle.

Can you help me understand the benefits?
I take the scopes off and into a separate foam pocket in the hard case if I need the room for clearance/fitment without moving up to a larger case. So if bringing a single rifle, most often the scope just travels affixed or in my carry on.

So for my Rigby bolt gun, it’s traveled both scope on, off in my carry on, or as last year when in a hard case puzzled in with a double as well, I cut a pocket for it off to the side as it allowed extra protection around the rifles and used up some otherwise unused real estate.

If you have adequate room and clearance, no real need to do it.
 
I packed my Win 70 scope up, and they still managed to bend it.
So, yes, remove the scope and pack it separately inside or carry on.

Here's an example of how not to pack a rifle case (scope down) from my thread:
guns, how not to pack a rifle case.png


Cut out foam and place your rifles up towards the handle.
Indeed!
 
Last edited:
Which case is this ?
I don't know the case brand, but an impudent tyro claimed it was his in my thread, lol.
Boasted that he's never had a problem packing his rifle that way in either of his two safaris.
Wait til he meets up with Murphy....
 
I don't know the case brand, but an impudent tyro claimed it was his in my thread, lol.
Boasted that he's never had a problem packing his rifle that way in either of his two safaris.
Wait til he meets up with Murphy....
I trust it happened to your scope. Not good.

The pelican case that I carry although heavy and long, is well constructed, and designed to protect against this sort of mishaps. Not that it can’t or won’t happen but as you see the back top and bottom are protected by extra ribs that is designed to cushion these type of falls.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
My rifle was packed in the same case (explained in that thread), but the scope somehow was intentionally or accidentally bent during airline travel. Another poster there had the same issue from baggage (mis)handling at JNB. Fluky, but possible....
 
My rifle was packed in the same case (explained in that thread), but the scope somehow was intentionally or accidentally bent during airline travel. Another poster there had the same issue from baggage (mis)handling at JNB. Fluky, but possible....
You mean a Pelican 1750?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,271
Messages
1,571,237
Members
169,287
Latest member
MarcellaHo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top