AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Well the day started off great, went to the range and shot a couple of my small bolt guns, tested some loads and in general had a great session. Came home and cleaned them and was putting them back in the safe and bumped My 405 Double it fell to the opposite side and I heard a crack! Well when I picked it up in two pieces the stock and failed in the wrist. Upon examination there was a old crack that gave way:Banghead: I am going to choose to look at the positive that it broke from a easy bump in the safe vs shattered while I was shooting it. (which I guess would have been 2-5 shots the next time I took it to the range.) I have restocked bolt guns and single shot through bolt designs but this one is beyond what I will tackle. Does anyone have a gunsmith/stock maker that you could recommend? I have sent a note to Aaron Little and am looking for other options should he be to busy.

IMG_3367.JPG
IMG_3368.JPG
IMG_3369.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s awful! Good luck!

Looks like old dry brittle wood. I see it had a previous repair ahead of this break.

A little bit of Gorilla Glue and Tape would fix that right up.

I can just imagine how it would feel if it broke while shooting it

Ellis Brown knows Simson guns and rifles and does such work and you know him.
There is another fine-gun smith in Central Texas, but I am drawing a blank on his name at the moment.
The only other one with which I have experience is out on the northern left coast.
The stock on my Simson double was done by a High end Parker shotgun smith back east. Brian Dudley:

PS as of last week, Aaron told me that he had a several month backlog - he put my Beretta double in the queue.

Attachments

• 54558_600x400.jpg
    54558_600x400.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to LeRoy Barry, Canyon Creek Cuatom Gunstocks. He does the stock work on the Wayne’s AHR rifles that we all ooh and ah over. He’s done three stocks for me. He will be straight with you regarding his experience in a job like this.

Bummer Dave, but yah glad it didn't happen when you were firing it.

Darn sir that was indeed a way to make a messed up day.

Thank you all for your well wishes, it will have to be a restock. I have a walnut stock blank that is similar in grain pattern or have a nice english walnut blank. My thought is if I have to have it restocked just have it done in the english. @bruce moulds I will give you a AMEN from the choir that it didn't happen in the field. @PHOENIX PHIL As I examined the break and just closed my eyes and thanked the guardian angels that it didn't happen while shooting as the odds are the shooter would have been hurt. @sestoppelman You are correct that there was a old repair that was done well, about the only thing that would have saved this one was a threaded steel rod through the wrist area when the original crack was repaired. The crack that it broke on was visible and the wood was very dry. @crs I sent a message to Aaron on his facebook page and will check later today and see if he had time to respond. Or will give him a call later this week. @George A Strickland I will check out their services. @WAB I will also reach out to Leroy. I will let you all know on who I will use for the restock and update when the work is completed.

AZDAVE,
I just remembered to express my sympathies over your loss!
If you put a pretty new stock on the rifle, you might shoot it more often.

AZDAVE,
Back in the days when I was recently married and working in a Gunshop for $7.50 an hour, an older gentlemen knew my aspirations on going to Africa on a safari.
He offered me a Browning Safari with gold inlays in .458 WM at a price I could barely afford. On the day he brought it in he propped it on his bumper to close the trunk lid.........you know what happened!!! I bought (long tern payments) the 2 piece Browning at a greatly discounted price....had it repaired and still have it after 50 years.

This picture was emailed to me by NEGC when they received my 1904 Portuguese 7x57 when I sent it to them to have an EAW side mount installed. I am not saying that my rifle is in the same class as yours but I would have felt better if I had been the one to break it.
DSC02676.jpg

Check out Bill Sporich gunstockmaker.com. He has done some work for me and I was very pleased with his work. One stock was very similar to yours. Price was I felt resonable.

As others have said, it’s a good thing it didn’t happen while shooting it, but it sucks that it happened, good luck in your new stock search

Well the day started off great, went to the range and shot a couple of my small bolt guns, tested some loads and in general had a great session. Came home and cleaned them and was putting them back in the safe and bumped My 405 Double it fell to the opposite side and I heard a crack! Well when I picked it up in two pieces the stock and failed in the wrist. Upon examination there was a old crack that gave way:Banghead: I am going to choose to look at the positive that it broke from a easy bump in the safe vs shattered while I was shooting it. (which I guess would have been 2-5 shots the next time I took it to the range.) I have restocked bolt guns and single shot through bolt designs but this one is beyond what I will tackle. Does anyone have a gunsmith/stock maker that you could recommend? I have sent a note to Aaron Little and am looking for other options should he be to busy.

View attachment 360644View attachment 360645View attachment 360646
@AZDAVE
Lucky it happened at home not on a safari. If you were in OZ I would recommend my gunsmith Rob Spittles in Rylestone. He is a master in all things wood and steel that are gun related.
Von Gruff may be able to do a stock for you as well, he does beautiful work.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg