How much ammunition for plains game hunting trip to South Africa?

No doubt I took more than necessary.

On the rifle case I pretty much followed the @Philip Glass video for one rifle, including soft case to offset one layer of foam. My sticks, which I very much enjoyed having, would have fit in my checked bag as well.

View attachment 452159
I like your Browning soft case. Any chance they'res an A Bolt or X bolt inside the case?

I like your Browning soft case. Any chance they'res an A Bolt or X bolt inside the case?
LOL. No, the only Browning I currently own is 28 ga Citori O/U. I even thought of taking it at one point. But last July, with the Delta variant sweeping SA and the Zulu Civil unrest - I went with the KISS principle.

I took a Tikka Hunter T3X and the soft case was an even trimmer Cabelas model. And I sooo can't wait to go again...

Take both rifles...its your hunt and always nice to have a choice ...and if you want take the max weight of ammunition...if you happened to accidentally forget your leftovers ....I am sure someone would be happy to "find" them... ;)

I never thought of removing foam from one side like that! You are double smart!!!!
It is cool to have the neat cut outs for the rifle etc but where do you out the soft case? The soft case protects your gun and the gear also takes up the extra space so it just works!

It is cool to have the neat cut outs for the rifle etc but where do you out the soft case? The soft case protects your gun and the gear also takes up the extra space so it just works!
@Philip Glass
I didn't need to worry obout a soft case as our PH said he provides high quality ones for use by clients at no cost

The main reason I planned on bringing 2 was just in case something happened. My pelican case is set up for both rifles and has a spot for spare scopes for each rifle just in case. Being my first trip I don’t want something to go wrong and make it a bad trip.
In addition to the 11 pound limit on ammo.. You want to keep that at 50 pounds or less to avoid overweight charges by the airlines. You also want to pack soft cases to protect your rifles on the truck. And keep your checked luggage under 50 pounds to avoid overweight charges on that.... likely with the 11 pounds of ammo inside.

@Philip Glass
I didn't need to worry obout a soft case as our PH said he provides high quality ones for use by clients at no cost
Excellent customer service! For me I am wired a little different and detest asking for any help in any way. When I go on safari I want to hit the ground running and need nothing from anyone.
your point about the level of customer service in Africa is well taken however.

I'm currently traveling home after a 7 day plains game hunt in Namibia.

I brought 60 rounds and would definitely only take 40 next time. Between my friend and me, we only shot 5-6 rounds total at the range to check my zero and for him to shoot his rental gun, so 40 rounds would have still been more than enough ammo for the 6 animals I shot.

i normally take the maximum allowed, you can always bring it home and if your scope gets knocked out of wack ( as mine did in Mozambique in 2014) you may need the extra to get back on zero.

i normally take the maximum allowed, you can always bring it home and if your scope gets knocked out of wack ( as mine did in Mozambique in 2014) you may need the extra to get back on zero.
You could also leave some with the PH/outfitter...

Forty cartridges. Two boxs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg