How much ammunition for plains game hunting trip to South Africa?

Well now Mr. Gator Hunter I just so happens, I'm selling the perfect 30-06 ammo for a plains game hunt. In the perfect amount (160 rounds) to zero your M700 and practice with just enough left over (60 rounds) to go hunting with... Look for my Post in the classified section...Swift Factory A-Frame ammo...I'll be happy to supply you with all your needs...
I have a lot of ammo and components. I found 300 Barnes ttsx 180gr’s at a good price. If I shoot through it and you still have ammo I’ll let you know. Thank you though

It's my opinion to take as much as legal. Shit happens, unexpected opportunities arise. I know its not doable everywhere but I take my ammo box with ammo and locks in place to my local post office and weigh it to make sure.
I have kitchen scales I have used for the same purpose. I used to go to the post office and weigh it and it was cheaper to buy a cheap kitchen scale. Too much driving to find out what ammo weight lol

It's my opinion to take as much as legal. Shit happens, unexpected opportunities arise. I know its not doable everywhere but I take my ammo box with ammo and locks in place to my local post office and weigh it to make sure.
I use and recommend a good luggage scale. (Actually come to think of it I’ve never found a really good luggage scale, they are all crap, thoughts?)
Taking ammo to the PO? I mean you have to have a luggage scale of some kind to check that everything is under 50 lbs.

My current bag is a soft bottom but the bags I have been looking at are hard bottom
There are so many options out there. Like I said just a standard hard sided roller bag has worked well for me. On some trips soft sided bags have been trouble as they can get really dirty in some situations. (I mean Africa dirty not just dusty from riding in the back of the bakkie). Pelican is tempting but heavy. The military style bags as have been mentioned look really good but also weigh 12+ lbs.
Just take it all into account and be able to carry all your own stuff through the airports etc. This is why I have a backpack carry on, Pelican guncase with wheels, and a standard roller bag suitcase. I can easily carry all my own stuff and not need help or a trolly.
“Planning is half the fun!”
Regards,
Philip

I use and recommend a good luggage scale. (Actually come to think of it I’ve never found a really good luggage scale, they are all crap, thoughts?)
Taking ammo to the PO? I mean you have to have a luggage scale of some kind to check that everything is under 50 lbs.
I've been using a hand held Fish scale. pre set the dial at 5lbs over and so far so good no problems

I have a 20 pound food scale thats supposedly accurate to .1 ounce. For gun case and suitcase I get on the electronic bathroom scale with and without. Hopefully it's accurate enough.

Everything where i life is on a much more relaxed basis. I go in first and ask the gentleman behind the counter if its ok, then bring in the locked box and weigh it and leave. I did the same thing with a rather large trout i caught as well. Years go i called the customs officer at our airport (which is rather tiny) to do the 4457 and while i was there with him i weighed my luggage and locked gun case. Kind of a mock check-in. But now i know what to bring and there is no need unless the ph asks me to bring something then i just add that weight. And i do realize this is not possible in larger areas/busier airports, etc.

Lightfighter® Loadout Bag:​

The "Original Rolling Footlocker" with over 30,000 sold and in use worldwide. Slightly longer than the Deployer, the Lightfighter® features a padded laptop compartment as well as a general-purpose pouch inside. Designed to be lived out of, the Lightfighter has mesh pockets, perfect for smaller items, in the lid and specific "D-Rings" you can attach to your bunk. With enough room for extended journeys or several months deployment, as well as longevity features FPG is known for, the Lightfighter® will be with you for years to come.

Mine has been to war I Africa and I never leave home without it. Run a search on eBay and pick up used from troops ending their tours...
The company's site also runs sales on these various bags. I ordered one of these on sale when they first popped up and it is indeed sturdy beyond belief. As @Philip Glass notes, it is also a heavy bag which of course eats up carrying capacity. That shouldn't be a problem for Africa, at least for me, but could be for a winter hunt somewhere.

And I absolutely second a backpack carry on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.47 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.49 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.51 PM.png
    490.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.53 PM.png
    741.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
I know this thread is over a year old, but I've read here where the weight limit for ammunition transported on airlines is 11 lb. per person. I just weighed 3 boxes of 180gr .300WM ammo and 3 boxes 0f 225gr .338WM ammo, and total weight is 9.625 lbs. I bought an Apache 2800 brand case (similar to the Pelican 1200) and it's 3.87 lbs. The Pelican is 2.95 lbs. Either way, BOTH would be over the 11 lb. ammo weight limit if the weight of the case is included in the weight limit for the ammo? I guess I can bring less ammo and/or one rifle for an upcoming PG hunt, but how do the DG hunters here with much heavier cartridges for a couple of rifles manage to stay under that 11 lb. ammo weight limit? Doesn't seem possible?

I had 20 softs and 20 solids for my .500 NE. Used 6 to confirm sighting and blow off the oil in the barrel 1 on buffalo and 2 on elephant. My PH was happy with the remainder. ;)

On my 9.3x74R with another 40 I still had plenty left over after shooting 6 Impala, 1 warthog 1 baboon, and 1 Leopard.

You are not going to be laying down suppressive fire, but shooting at game so don't really need a ton of ammo.

This coming August I will take 40 rounds (softs and solids) for .500 NE and 40 for .300 RUM. Should have a lot left over.

I know this thread is over a year old, but I've read here where the weight limit for ammunition transported on airlines is 11 lb. per person. I just weighed 3 boxes of 180gr .300WM ammo and 3 boxes 0f 225gr .338WM ammo, and total weight is 9.625 lbs. I bought an Apache 2800 brand case (similar to the Pelican 1200) and it's 3.87 lbs. The Pelican is 2.95 lbs. Either way, BOTH would be over the 11 lb. ammo weight limit if the weight of the case is included in the weight limit for the ammo? I guess I can bring less ammo and/or one rifle for an upcoming PG hunt, but how do the DG hunters here with much heavier cartridges for a couple of rifles manage to stay under that 11 lb. ammo weight limit? Doesn't seem possible?
My opinion only. Take one rifle, Carry no more than 40 rounds. Practice a lot before you go and know your rifle. My last hunt was a buffalo, zebra and wart hog. My rifle was a .404 Jeffery. I fired 3 rounds to check zero and then one round kill shots on each of the three animals. Brought the rest home.

We used an old Eotech box for my ammo. Single wall on the thinner side, injection molded not roto. Weighs less than a pound. Packed in my luggage so it's on the safer side from impact. Haven't ever had an issue flying domestic or 2 trips over.

That said, 120 rounds for a PG hunt is quite a bit. Maybe drop a box of one or the other...or 10 rounds of each?

I’ve only brought up to 375, but I weigh box+ammo and bring as much as I can up to 11 lbs. I see no reason to go light on ammo, but 120 rounds is excessive. I think 60-80 is a good number and you’ll still have a lot left over. I’ve also never had my ammo weighed on the trip to Africa.

I had 20 softs and 20 solids for my .500 NE. Used 6 to confirm sighting and blow off the oil in the barrel 1 on buffalo and 2 on elephant. My PH was happy with the remainder. ;)

On my 9.3x74R with another 40 I still had plenty left over after shooting 6 Impala, 1 warthog 1 baboon, and 1 Leopard.

You are not going to belaying down suppressive fire, but shooting at game so don't really need a ton of ammo.

This coming August I will take 40 rounds (softs and solids) for .500 NE and 40 for .300 RUM. Should have a lot left over.
I guess so. Two boxes each of .300WM and .338WM is 6.31 lbs. That'll have to do it with including the weight of the ammo box. I would think your 40 rounds of .500 and 40 rounds of .300RUM would be pushing close to a 9 lb. something weight? Maybe I'm wrong, but so much for the 60-80 cartridges PER rifle I've seen recommended by some for PG hunts, unless one is using a lighter cartridge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg