How much ammunition for plains game hunting trip to South Africa?

Gatorhunter1313

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Well now Mr. Gator Hunter I just so happens, I'm selling the perfect 30-06 ammo for a plains game hunt. In the perfect amount (160 rounds) to zero your M700 and practice with just enough left over (60 rounds) to go hunting with... Look for my Post in the classified section...Swift Factory A-Frame ammo...I'll be happy to supply you with all your needs...
I have a lot of ammo and components. I found 300 Barnes ttsx 180gr’s at a good price. If I shoot through it and you still have ammo I’ll let you know. Thank you though

Gatorhunter1313

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
It's my opinion to take as much as legal. Shit happens, unexpected opportunities arise. I know its not doable everywhere but I take my ammo box with ammo and locks in place to my local post office and weigh it to make sure.
I have kitchen scales I have used for the same purpose. I used to go to the post office and weigh it and it was cheaper to buy a cheap kitchen scale. Too much driving to find out what ammo weight lol

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
It's my opinion to take as much as legal. Shit happens, unexpected opportunities arise. I know its not doable everywhere but I take my ammo box with ammo and locks in place to my local post office and weigh it to make sure.
I use and recommend a good luggage scale. (Actually come to think of it I’ve never found a really good luggage scale, they are all crap, thoughts?)
Taking ammo to the PO? I mean you have to have a luggage scale of some kind to check that everything is under 50 lbs.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
My current bag is a soft bottom but the bags I have been looking at are hard bottom
There are so many options out there. Like I said just a standard hard sided roller bag has worked well for me. On some trips soft sided bags have been trouble as they can get really dirty in some situations. (I mean Africa dirty not just dusty from riding in the back of the bakkie). Pelican is tempting but heavy. The military style bags as have been mentioned look really good but also weigh 12+ lbs.
Just take it all into account and be able to carry all your own stuff through the airports etc. This is why I have a backpack carry on, Pelican guncase with wheels, and a standard roller bag suitcase. I can easily carry all my own stuff and not need help or a trolly.
“Planning is half the fun!”
Regards,
Philip

Fred Gunner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I use and recommend a good luggage scale. (Actually come to think of it I’ve never found a really good luggage scale, they are all crap, thoughts?)
Taking ammo to the PO? I mean you have to have a luggage scale of some kind to check that everything is under 50 lbs.
I've been using a hand held Fish scale. pre set the dial at 5lbs over and so far so good no problems

shootist~

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
I have a 20 pound food scale thats supposedly accurate to .1 ounce. For gun case and suitcase I get on the electronic bathroom scale with and without. Hopefully it's accurate enough.

Tgood1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
US canada africa
Everything where i life is on a much more relaxed basis. I go in first and ask the gentleman behind the counter if its ok, then bring in the locked box and weigh it and leave. I did the same thing with a rather large trout i caught as well. Years go i called the customs officer at our airport (which is rather tiny) to do the 4457 and while i was there with him i weighed my luggage and locked gun case. Kind of a mock check-in. But now i know what to bring and there is no need unless the ph asks me to bring something then i just add that weight. And i do realize this is not possible in larger areas/busier airports, etc.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)

Lightfighter® Loadout Bag:​

The "Original Rolling Footlocker" with over 30,000 sold and in use worldwide. Slightly longer than the Deployer, the Lightfighter® features a padded laptop compartment as well as a general-purpose pouch inside. Designed to be lived out of, the Lightfighter has mesh pockets, perfect for smaller items, in the lid and specific "D-Rings" you can attach to your bunk. With enough room for extended journeys or several months deployment, as well as longevity features FPG is known for, the Lightfighter® will be with you for years to come.

Mine has been to war I Africa and I never leave home without it. Run a search on eBay and pick up used from troops ending their tours...
The company's site also runs sales on these various bags. I ordered one of these on sale when they first popped up and it is indeed sturdy beyond belief. As @Philip Glass notes, it is also a heavy bag which of course eats up carrying capacity. That shouldn't be a problem for Africa, at least for me, but could be for a winter hunt somewhere.

And I absolutely second a backpack carry on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.47 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.49 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.51 PM.png
    490.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 9.41.53 PM.png
    741.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxineFrie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh