How many pieces of brass?

ktk120

AH veteran
Reaction score
Dipping my toes into a 500 J on a CZ550 action. I realize this is not a caliber you shoot a ton but what is brass life like? How many pieces of brass is a "lifetime" supply assuming only loss of brass is brass failure?

I shoot a 500 NE DR. I get 9-10 reloads from my brass

I load mine until the primer pockets get loose. (I don’t have a 500j just in general) it seems about 5-8 loadings for most of calibers.
If you shoot 100 rounds a year that makes 20 cases every year for my bottom end. So 200 rounds would be 40 cases.
Of course you will need to figure in damaged and losses cases, and how long you plan on living. But I feel 20-30 cases per year would cover someone who shoots a lot of 500J

Start with 40-50 and pick up more when they become available.

If you’re like me you’ll ask for them to be added to your wedding registry.

Results may vary.
Brilliant!

I bet you got looks though.:A Way To Go:

I use Jamison brass, shooting 570g TSX's at 2300 fps I get 10 loads before I throw them out even though they look fine. I bought 200 cases so have a ways to go before I run out.

BTW I just bought 100 Nosler 500 J cases for $4 each in a fit of paranoia. If someone wants to buy 25 or 50 let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.