How many pieces of brass?

ktk120

AH veteran
Reaction score
Dipping my toes into a 500 J on a CZ550 action. I realize this is not a caliber you shoot a ton but what is brass life like? How many pieces of brass is a "lifetime" supply assuming only loss of brass is brass failure?

I shoot a 500 NE DR. I get 9-10 reloads from my brass

I load mine until the primer pockets get loose. (I don’t have a 500j just in general) it seems about 5-8 loadings for most of calibers.
If you shoot 100 rounds a year that makes 20 cases every year for my bottom end. So 200 rounds would be 40 cases.
Of course you will need to figure in damaged and losses cases, and how long you plan on living. But I feel 20-30 cases per year would cover someone who shoots a lot of 500J

Start with 40-50 and pick up more when they become available.

If you’re like me you’ll ask for them to be added to your wedding registry.

Results may vary.
Brilliant!

I bet you got looks though.:A Way To Go:

I use Jamison brass, shooting 570g TSX's at 2300 fps I get 10 loads before I throw them out even though they look fine. I bought 200 cases so have a ways to go before I run out.

BTW I just bought 100 Nosler 500 J cases for $4 each in a fit of paranoia. If someone wants to buy 25 or 50 let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.