Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Hello chaps!
Just wondered how loud the ol' 375 H&H is in comparison to a 30-06?? I only ask as if I might want to moderate it by using a suppressor I need to inform the police so they can add it to my licence.
I have thought about getting one with a muzzle break to help with the recoil but then I shall go deaf for sure as will anybody else around me. Mind you could be rather handy if I felt the need to be antisocial!

I have a 30-06, 375 h&h, 270 w/ muzzlebreak & several suppressed firearms...... I think ALL guns are loud! I would steer clear of muzzlebreaks.... I won't do that to a gun ever again. I guess the 375 is louder than the 06.... but then again. I think they are both loud, but not near as piercing as the muzzlebreak. If you can suppress, go for it. Probably make the gun a little more accurate too. Good luck to you..... BTW ALWAYS WEAR HEARING PROTECTION!!!!

I understand it would be louder than a 30-06 but as a % roughly how much more???

Only reasonable stuff I can find is
154 dB for the 3006
and 155 for the 375
Both 160+ beside either rifle.

http://www.soundscope.se/dokument/jaktbuller poster.pdf

Gunfire Sound Levels

Gunfire Noise Level Reference Chart
Below we have listed critical data describing peak sound pressure levels produced by firearms used in shooting and hunting sports. A serious byproduct of this exposure is sensory-neural hearing loss, which cannot be restored to normal. With the introduction of MUZZLE BRAKES and PORTING, the risks of hearing loss dramatically increase. Use this chart as a reference guide for promoting the need of using adequate hearing protection.

Notations
Keep in mind that conversational speech is approximately 60-65 dB, and the threshold of pain is considered to be 140 dB. According to Dr. William Clark, Ph.D. senior research scientist in charge of the NOISE LABORATORY at the Central Institute for the Deaf in St. Louis, the damage caused by one shot from a .357 magnum pistol, which can expose a shooter to 165 dB for 2msec, is equivalent to over 40 hours in a noisy workplace.Dr. Krammer, Ph.D., Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana has documented the following pressure levels.

Table 1. SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)

.410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB
26" barrel 150.25dB
18 _" barrel 156.30dB
20 Gauge 28" barrel 152.50dB
22" barrel 154.75dB
12 Gauge 28" barrel 151.50dB
26" barrel 156.10dB
18 _" barrel 161.50dB

Dr. Krammer continues to say that shotgun noise averaged slightly more that 150dB. This is approximately 14dB beyond the threshold of pain, and more than sufficient to cause sudden hearing loss with complications.

Table 2. CENTERFIRE RIFLE DATA

.223, 55GR. Commercial load 18 _" barrel 155.5dB
.243 in 22" barrel 155.9dB
.30-30 in 20" barrel 156.0dB
7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB
.308 in 24" barrel 156.2dB

.30-06 in 24" barrel 158.5dB
.30-06 in 18 _" barrel 163.2dB
.375 — 18" barrel with muzzle brake 170 dB

Krammer adds that sound pressure levels for the various pistols and ammunition tested yielded an average mean of 157.5 dB, which is greater than those previously shown for shotgun and rifle noise levels. There was also a greater range, from 152.4dB to 164.5dB, representing 12 dB difference, or more than 10 time as much acoustic energy for the top end of the pistol spectrum. It should be noticed that this figure of 164.5 dB approaches the practical limit of impulse noise measurement capability inherent in most modern sound level meters.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

How loud is the .375? LOUD ENOUGH TO BUST YOU FRIGGbzzzzztiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Do you know tinnitus? Got that from a .375, all it took was one shot without protection, in a contorted position where my left ear was more exposed than normal.

So, get the sound moderator! Wish they were available here...

Oh, and for the recoil, don't worry about it. With a properly fitting stock, and practice with someone who can show you how to hold and handle a big bore, the .375 is perfectly manageable. Comfortable enough to do meaningful training sessions without bruises, and to not notice the recoil at all in a hunting situation.

BTW, one hell of a good caliber...

Approximately, 160dB for the 30.06, and 170dB for the .375HH, depending on barrel length.

However do not forget that dB´s work on a logarithmic scale which means that a difference of 10dB means twice the sound level.

So, to answer your question, the 375HH is twice as loud as the 30.06.

Approximately, 160dB for the 30.06, and 170dB for the .375HH, depending on barrel length.

However do not forget that dB´s work on a logarithmic scale which means that a difference of 10dB means twice the sound level.

So, to answer your question, the 375HH is twice as loud as the 30.06.

Well I have temperamental hearing due to my past job (British Army (many enemy engagements with no chance to apply ear defenders)). I guess when the police phone me to confirm what I'm after I could swap out my 30-06 sound mod for a 375 one.
I have fired my 30-06 many times in open field as well as dense woods with no ED's and have not suffered from hearing loss. I do get my hearing tested every year (I can never make out what the wife is saying!!) and they say its fine.

A suppressor designed for the 375 H&H Magnum should cut the decibels by about 30 to 35 and recoil will be significantly reduced.

A suppressor designed for the 375 H&H Magnum should cut the decibels by about 30 to 35 and recoil will be significantly reduced.

That's what I was thinking less recoil = rapid re-acquisition of target if i cock up the first shot. That is something I'm yet to do

I have fired my 30-06 many times in open field as well as dense woods with no ED's and have not suffered from hearing loss. I do get my hearing tested every year (I can never make out what the wife is saying!!) and they say its fine.

the worst hearing damage ive ever recieved was from a 7x57 with a 22" barrel. i took a quick shot on a deer at close range and completely lost my hearing for about a minute then a loud ringing in my ears for another 5 minutes.

-matt

the worst hearing damage ive ever recieved was from a 7x57 with a 22" barrel. i took a quick shot on a deer at close range and completely lost my hearing for about a minute then a loud ringing in my ears for another 5 minutes.

-matt

Hows your hearing in terms of long term loss??

over the year many things have damaged my hearing such as live concerts, firearms, and work. these days my hearing is a bit of a problem, I can clearly hear most people talking if they speak clearly and are facing me but otherwise I have hearing people talk. thankfully I don't have any ringing in my ears but I often need people to repeat themselves if there is background noise or if they aren't facing me.

when I hunt with people I need them to whisper right next to my ear otherwise I have trouble.

-matt

I got the same level of loss as you by the sounds of it. To top it off my wife mumbles like hell!!

Both my '06 and 375 sport 22" barrels. The sophisticated piece of equipment I received information from is my son who described the 375 as much loader. He said he felt the force of the blast in his chest while standing beside me at the shooting bench ( wearing hearing protection of course) and it was noticeably loader than the '06. However, I still think the worst of the bunch is the 270 win my father has with a BOSS muzzle break. I find that one unpleasant to be near even with hearing protection.

I was at my range last summer and a fellow was shooting his 308 with a muzzle brake. Everyone was shocked and agreed that it was significantly louder than my unbraked 500 Jeffery.

I understand it would be louder than a 30-06 but as a % roughly how much more???
My .375 H&H is not quite as loud as my .30-06. It would give you the impression that it has to be because it is so much bigger but the concussion from the .30-06 is definitely more profound due to the shorter barrel, mine is 20" vs. my .375 which is a 24". a suppressor big enough to greatly reduce the volume of a .375 will be huge. It is likely to add several pounds to the weight of an already beefy gun. Just my two cents...

I have taken to using earmuffs while hunting now. I wont put a )(#*$($#($#$)(#$)( ^#*#*&#&#*()( brake on any gun. Not that hard to keep muffs handy. You want to talk about loud. Shoot a Ruger Blackhawk revolver in .30 Carbine! Now we're talking LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been half deaf since childhood due to illness. Then got a bad infection in HS and have had ever increasing tinnitus ever since. Whats that you say??!?!?!? SPEAK UP FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

eh?

-matt

I use mine mainly to disable poacher's vehicles, and sometimes, the poachers themselves. It works like a bomb... :A Up To Something:
.375 MOOSE (2).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.