How has Everyone’s Hunting Season at Home been?

After a bad first two days of the mulie season here with vehicle issues, I managed to talk my brother into coming back for the last day. He said that he wasn't going to be fussy as we were on a serious time crunch, so early in the day he put this buck on the ground with one shot of his .308 Ruger American. I give him a lot of credit as he has never been a hunter and in the last couple of years he has decided that he'd like to get more involved so he could have an opportunity to join our father and I in an activity that we were always so passionate about. On top of that, a few years ago he had a double hip replacement and finds it painful still to walk the hills where the mule deer live in my area. This is his first mulie and he was very happy with it.

003.JPG

That is a whale of a combo hunt @Bullthrower338 , both great trophies.

Made it to my buddy's lease this afternoon to help him fill a cull tag. Shot this pig of a broken eight that had some age on him. 7x57 156 gr Oryx opened perfectly, when I get back home I'll get a weight and post a pic. of the bullet. Tomorrow we'll fish, shoot ducks and maybe a turkey. Life is good.
View attachment 208934 View attachment 208953

I have had a really slow season...I blame most of it on not being able to find a sunscreen with a built-in cover scent. We were over 80 degrees F opening weekend in my part of Texas with virtually NO deer movement.

I really need to kill something so I can post one of my Houston Astros World Champions t-shirts...way to represent Sand Rat!!!

After a bad first two days of the mulie season here with vehicle issues, I managed to talk my brother into coming back for the last day. He said that he wasn't going to be fussy as we were on a serious time crunch, so early in the day he put this buck on the ground with one shot of his .308 Ruger American. I give him a lot of credit as he has never been a hunter and in the last couple of years he has decided that he'd like to get more involved so he could have an opportunity to join our father and I in an activity that we were always so passionate about. On top of that, a few years ago he had a double hip replacement and finds it painful still to walk the hills where the mule deer live in my area. This is his first mulie and he was very happy with it.

View attachment 209042
Well, he did great for his first mulie! Wonderful you, him and your dad can hunt together! Enjoy every minute!

Leaving Montana in the morning on a good note this year. Heading to Kansas for archery whitetail Friday. Had my dad with me when I got the muley, made it that much better. Killed the bull with a very special pre 64 given to me by a good man. Plenty of memories made this trip!View attachment 208929 View attachment 208933

Wow, you had a hell of a hunt in Montana!! Congrats

Well, he did great for his first mulie! Wonderful you, him and your dad can hunt together! Enjoy every minute!

Would have been awesome if Dad could have been there yesterday to see it. He still lectures me about not making my brother overdo it on his new hips!

My brother still doesn't like fishing, though! Can you believe that?

View attachment 209042

Congrats to him! Thats a nice first muley for sure!!

Would have been awesome if Dad could have been there yesterday to see it. He still lectures me about not making my brother overdo it on his new hips!

My brother still doesn't like fishing, though! Can you believe that?

Get him a reclining chair for the bank or the boat and he'll convert sooner or later.

Tried out the new CZ varment in 204 Ruger this morning and a little pond fishing as well. Sure do like the new rifle. Also had four ducks in the pot to boot. Going to be a bummer when I head back to work come December.

image-2.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well It is going badly. In my area they run deer with dogs and if you don't get one the first few days your chances decline precipitously. I had a med appt I had been waiting for for 8 months (welcome to Canada) and instead of blowing it off I went to it, mistake. Now my chances resemble a lottery.

well It is going badly. In my area they run deer with dogs and if you don't get one the first few days your chances decline precipitously. I had a med appt I had been waiting for for 8 months (welcome to Canada) and instead of blowing it off I went to it, mistake. Now my chances resemble a lottery.
That sounds disappointing! Here in Colorado we start out ona lottery system for deer and a lot of the elk areas as well. Some elk areas it’s over a twenty year wait!
For bighorn sheep, moose and mountain goat you start with three years of preference points just to get into the lottery. Then if you’re extremely lucky you might draw the 4th year. Obviously I’m not lucky because I’ve been passed on for nearly 18 years! At 70, not much more time left to chase mountain goat at 12,000-14,000 feet of elevation:(!

I went back home to hunt whitetail with my 4 year old son. As we were leaving at 6:00am my 2 year old daughter insisted on coming along. After a slight change of plans we all headed out to my cabin in the woods. Cabin overlooks a meadow that the deer travel. We just got settled in when the first doe came along. We are bucks only so we sat inside reading books and eating snacks. We had 6 does and fawns come along before the first buck. I was not going to pass an opportunity to get a deer on my first hunt with both my kids so I took the shot. Deer runs at the shot but it is clear he is hit. Due to the steep terrain, deep snow and not 100% confident in the shot I took the kids back home and came back to track the deer. When I went back I found the deer and loaded up to bring back and show the kids. Hopefully next time they will be able to track with me but still a great hunt and excited to be able to spend time hunting with the kids. I was a little unsure how my daughter would react but she was super excited. She would not touch the deer but my son was all over it and he claimed the antlers for his room as a European mount. This is a good primer for his first African safari in Nov 2018.
Thanks for reading

IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG

Gknox, great start with the kids!
Congratulations!

That sounds disappointing! Here in Colorado we start out ona lottery system for deer and a lot of the elk areas as well. Some elk areas it’s over a twenty year wait!
For bighorn sheep, moose and mountain goat you start with three years of preference points just to get into the lottery. Then if you’re extremely lucky you might draw the 4th year. Obviously I’m not lucky because I’ve been passed on for nearly 18 years! At 70, not much more time left to chase mountain goat at 12,000-14,000 feet of elevation:(!

sounds like the Ontario moose lottery. It is so complicated (obviously too many public servants involved) that a computer is required to calculate who gets a tag.

what wildlife management unit
how many in your group
how long have you been hunting
phase of the moon
did you vote for the Liberals
etc

Pennsylvania bear season started today. We did one drive from sunrise till about 9 a.m. Five bears seen, one shot -- 258 pounds. Rain, rain, rain! We will start again Monday.

sounds like the Ontario moose lottery. It is so complicated (obviously too many public servants involved) that a computer is required to calculate who gets a tag.

what wildlife management unit
how many in your group
how long have you been hunting
phase of the moon
did you vote for the Liberals
etc
ROTFLMAO ! And I wish they knew how to issue a tag for the right animal ! IE ; issue a cow tag and have nothing but bulls dance around in front of you ! AH ?
Glen

Pennsylvania bear season started today. We did one drive from sunrise till about 9 a.m. Five bears seen, one shot -- 258 pounds. Rain, rain, rain! We will start again Monday.
No bear hunting on Sunday, so I spent seven hours today chasing a herd of sika deer. Finally downed a nice stag. People tell me it tastes even better than red stag, which I really enjoy.

I've been hunting white tail deer hard since opening weekend, and have not been able to connect. All the wrong deer have been passing by giving me the finger. In one of the places I hunt the county has a 15" outside spread rule, and everything we've seen have been inside the ears. We have not shot a doe because of the rut, but now that it's over we can't find them. Go figure. Hopefully my luck will change after Thanksgiving. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,