How has Everyone’s Hunting Season at Home been?

4 Wisconsin hunters shot in separate incidents on deer season's opening days; 1 suspect still unidentified

To avoid opening day accidents, be smart and start one day before....

:sneaky:

HWL

First year in a while that we were completely skunked. We had a half dozen tags going into the hunt, but didn’t fill any... and that’s hunting. It was an epic camping trip. Chartered a flight into a backcountry dirt airstrip for an ultralight backpack hunt. We landed in 4” of snow at 5k ft and hiked back up into a canyon 9-10 miles to hunt between 7k-9k ft elevation. Temps were down into the teens for a low. We glassed and glassed. Saw a lot of Idaho. It many animals other than dogs.

I won’t hunt that area of Idaho again. We saw more wolves than deer and elk put together, but never could get close enough to get a shot off. The deer and elk were few and far between. We found quite a few wolf kills. And had wolves kill a doe right up near our camp one night.

Spring pig hunt is up next. My son is finally old enough to be going with me this year. :)

First year in a while that we were completely skunked. We had a half dozen tags going into the hunt, but didn’t fill any... and that’s hunting. It was an epic camping trip. Chartered a flight into a backcountry dirt airstrip for an ultralight backpack hunt. We landed in 4” of snow at 5k ft and hiked back up into a canyon 9-10 miles to hunt between 7k-9k ft elevation. Temps were down into the teens for a low. We glassed and glassed. Saw a lot of Idaho. It many animals other than dogs.

I won’t hunt that area of Idaho again. We saw more wolves than deer and elk put together, but never could get close enough to get a shot off. The deer and elk were few and far between. We found quite a few wolf kills. And had wolves kill a doe right up near our camp one night.

Spring pig hunt is up next. My son is finally old enough to be going with me this year. :)
Much of Idaho is that way unfortunately, I've seen the deer, moose and elk populations plummet over the last 15 years.

I’ve seen plenty of deer this year. Even watched a couple of trophies. Got a short video of a big fox squirrel with my phone. We don’t have many fox squirrels here.

Maybe I’ll pull the trigger by the end of the season. Maybe not, but I have had the opportunity to sit and watch deer.

January and February are dedicated to squirrel and shed hunting. My favorite by far. Got skunked on sheds last year for the first time. Hopefully this year will be better.

This is the best thing I've seen on my Kentucky hunting lease so far this season, lol. Seen a few 8 pointers that could be decent bucks next season, lots of lesser ones, all got a pass this year. Regardless it beats being at work. It's muzzleloader season this week, so maybe a doe will be taken next weekend.

Pappy 15 year.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
056BE2C3-5FF1-4216-8C68-3E78FCE2C989.jpeg
7A65EDCE-3311-4450-8C12-A56F1A1D46FA.jpeg
I’ve seen plenty of deer this year. Even watched a couple of trophies. Got a short video of a big fox squirrel with my phone. We don’t have many fox squirrels here.

Maybe I’ll pull the trigger by the end of the season. Maybe not, but I have had the opportunity to sit and watch deer.

January and February are dedicated to squirrel and shed hunting. My favorite by far. Got skunked on sheds last year for the first time. Hopefully this year will be better.

We found some of that “white gold” in ID. So we packed a little out. About mile 8, we couldn’t remember why... It’s just too bad there wasn’t any meat attached to it.

Much of Idaho is that way unfortunately, I've seen the deer, moose and elk populations plummet over the last 15 years.
It is mind boggling that non hunters can't see the truth about wolves.

We’ve had a great season thus far on the client front but I was actually able to get to hunt a little myself! I took two nice management deer. I hope to get to whack a few ducks New Years weekend but we’ll see.
98BA63DC-902D-4965-BFA6-2A1C893AB2B8.jpeg
9AF78DAB-34D6-4DFB-8D70-CD2773F1F25C.jpeg

A nice Alabama deer in the cooler he is heavy in body and horn and old but only about a 15 inch inside spread so he got knocked down. Real day and good meat though.

7FEFEBE3-0124-4208-82EA-2F89BB807932.jpeg

A nice Alabama deer in the cooler he is heavy in body and horn and old but only about a 15 inch inside spread so he got knocked down. Real day and good meat though.

View attachment 320278
This is upside down for some unknown reason but hey...

This is the best thing I've seen on my Kentucky hunting lease so far this season, lol. Seen a few 8 pointers that could be decent bucks next season, lots of lesser ones, all got a pass this year. Regardless it beats being at work. It's muzzleloader season this week, so maybe a doe will be taken next weekend.

View attachment 318704

Now that’s a real KY trophy! I know quite a few folks around Bowling Green that would poach that off ya in a flash.

Ollie got a pretty good work today, @BJONES and I hit them pretty good.
16637808-765A-42BA-A906-9004CA4ACD5F.jpeg

My hounds treed this mountain lion yesterday when I was hunting with my wife. Looks closely. The cat is barely bigger than my finger ;)

20191230_120848.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg