How did everyone make out at home this year? Post some pictures

Wasn't sure I was going to have anything to add to this thread as I only had one 10 pt. on my hit list this year and hadn't seen him on any trail cam photos since opening weekend. I have several young 8s and was going to give them all a pass. Our rut (Stephens County, Texas) is usually pretty well done by Thanksgiving, so this trip was supposed to be post rut and I was looking for one of the management deer I was going to remove from the herd to make some sausage. I saw one of the better 8s working a scrape the evening of Dec. 3View attachment 52494 and decided to wait a couple of days on the management hunt and I was rewarded when this old guy came through Dec. 5 chasing a doe.

Co0l buck.

Its good to see so many people had good seasons. (y)

Just finished boiling him up this morning. Shot him December 4th here in NC. At 175lbs he is the heaviest deer I've ever shot….

20151209_120225.jpg
20151204_162301.jpg

I think this is the biggest fox I ever shot.
My dogs weight is 16kg as to compere .
DSC_0088.JPG

I nice roebuck I shot for my dog after a good work!
DSC_0115.JPG

Well, no deer this year here in the Adirondacks... In fact, very few people up here got deer. One of my friends got a good bear, about 180lbs. So I contented myself with popping woodchucks with a .222 in a neighbors field. I guess this is what I have to show so far for my hunting season...

woodchuck.jpg

I nice roebuck I shot for my dog after a good work!
View attachment 52585

Please share the story with us (me) about hunting this Roe Buck with your dog.
How?
This is incredibly interesting to me as a dog guy.
We are only allowed to use dogs on Cougar here. Never on a deer.

Hi guys.Had the chance to go hunting twice this year.1st time in my life to go hunting i got a 30kg(66lbs) blackwildebees and then for my brothers bachelors we both got a impala at 10kg each. (22lbs each)

20150829_180100.jpg
20150829_133118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your first hunt.

How?

We hunt most animals with dogs. For most hunters here it is the dogs that makes
the hunt interesting. The dog I use is a shortlegged dog of swedish origin that follows
the roedeer slowly, barking. The more barking the smaller area the hunt stays in. Normally.
The roe normally run slowly and than waits for the dog until he is very near.It actually looks that the
roes think it is fun! This makes a very exiting hunt,when you can hear the dog come nearer and nearer.
The buck on the photo my dog hunted for about 20 minutes and I shot it at about 25meter with my drilling.
We are aloud to use shotguns and max US1.
Normally my dog hunts about 1-1,5 hour. If the roe runs stright away (normally if I spoke it) he stops
hunting after 20 min.
When you use shortlegged slow dogs you can normally take easy shots and it is really relaxing.
My friends have Wachtels to hunt roes,but that is an other affair.
They normally hunts for 15min and very fast.
Than it is full speed and action and shooting is like clay pigeon shooting.
Fun some times but not really my thing.

Nice Auodad Erny!

I agree on the aoudad....they are on my bucket list!

@Cornelius 1 I love your rifle. My go-to rifle is a BLR in .308!

Ragman when you want to go Aoudad hunting let me know. I have an outfit in west Texas I have been using for years that always treats you right.

We hunt most animals with dogs. For most hunters here it is the dogs that makes the hunt interesting. ............ .

Thank you for the explanation.

Tough year here too, for me at least.

I wanted meat in the freezer more than anything. Where I hunt whitetails have to have four points or better on one side. So.... This spike walks by....

20151121_170153_resized(1).jpg

Then the next weekend I go out and don't see anything. Get back to the truck and check my phone. I haven't been in the truck for two minutes and look in my driver's side mirror. Below is the picture of my mirror.... Cool thing about it though was the calico spots. I've never seen one with them before.

20151128_091243.jpg

I did finally get my meat though and have two deer in the freezer. Now for that big buck....

I managed to screw up a stalk on a couple of bucks during the Utah muzzle loader hunt this year. I had them spotted at over 250 yards and ended up at 20 yards when I saw them again and spooked them. I had a shot on the smaller of the two but it was a head shot and I held off then they were gone. The larger of the two was a large framed 4x4 with eye guards and a 36-40" spread along with about 24" high. The smaller one was a crab clawed 5x5 with about a 30" spread and 30" tall, man he was a pretty mule deer.

I ended up taking a 24" 3x3 on the last day of the hunt. Not what I really wanted but he was there and so was I.

8845-critter-albums-book-cliffs-picture9450-img-0869.jpg

A couple of days before the hunt we ran into this guy.
8845-critter-albums-book-cliffs-picture9434-img-0849.jpg

Then one of neatest pictures that I took was of this combo.
8845-critter-albums-book-cliffs-picture9442-img-0850.jpg

None of them were very big but it was a photo that had to be taken.

Attachments

• user8845_pic9442_1444524891.jpg
    user8845_pic9442_1444524891.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 93
  • user8845_pic9434_1444524891.jpg
    user8845_pic9434_1444524891.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 98
  • user8845_pic9450_1444524891.jpg
    user8845_pic9450_1444524891.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photos of those young muleys. Love them.
Nothing wrong with the 3pt. He appears to have solid mass. He beats the muzzleloader buck that I shot last year!

How?

Dogs are allowed for tracking and pointing deer here in the UK. They may also be used to bay and dispatch wounded deer during a follow up. However, we are leaps and bounds behind the continent on this subject.

Minor surgery ate up a large portion of my home leave this November so I settled for a buck that would have normally gotten a pass. All of the spikes I had wanted to shoot for a meat deer disappeared when the rut started. The best part was breaking in my new CZ 550 in 5 X 57, I sure like this gun!

image.jpg

Ragman when you want to go Aoudad hunting let me know. I have an outfit in west Texas I have been using for years that always treats you right.
Erny, I'd love to have the contact info as well if you don't mind. Need to add one to my 2017 hunt schedule.

IMG_2002.jpg

Look what we can do in West Texas when it rains. We can grow grass and deer. :A Big Hello:

There is just something special about a big symmetrical 8pt whitetail deer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!