How bad is United Airlines

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a friend that is looking to take a quick trip to SA. He is suffering withdrawal so looking to do a short cull hunt to get him by till next year.

He’s looking for cheaper tickets, Delta is right at 2k can get United for $1400. Can you take guns on United. He would stop in Chicago and Newark.

He said how bad can it be? What say you?

I flew United from Newark to J'Burg a couple of years ago when Delta stopped service due to Covid. It was fine. No issues with the rifle and service was good. Clearing rifle at Newark was no problem on the return flight. Can't speak to current conditions, but in 2021 it was ok.

I am a million miler on United. It is as good and bad as every other US airline. For whatever it is worth, I opt for them over Delta and American given a similar price. That said, steerage on any of them from the US to Johannesburg is for the pain tolerant and insomniacs.

I took UA to South Africa in June and had no problems. Rolled the dice so to speak. I believe the issues that got them into trouble a couple of years ago have been sorted out. That said, they still have a reputation for poor customer service. So when things go wrong they get stupidly wrong quick. Given the price difference it was worth the gamble to me. I took guns with me and had no problem. Gracy Travel arranged it all.

I have a friend that is looking to take a quick trip to SA. He is suffering withdrawal so looking to do a short cull hunt to get him by till next year.

He’s looking for cheaper tickets, Delta is right at 2k can get United for $1400. Can you take guns on United. He would stop in Chicago and Newark.

He said how bad can it be? What say you?
They are as good or as bad as any other American flag carrier airline.
Did he check others like Qatar, THY, or emirates?

Continental customer service was stellar. It has been utter shit ever since United took them over.

For $1400, I'd fly in baggage class and not complain... at least not much. I flew in baggage class on Qatar in June 2022 from DFW to Doha to JNB. Some 23 hours of flying time, not to mention 2 and 4 (might have been 4 and 6) hour layovers. I paid $2500 booking the flight six months (everyone else paid $1800 a year out) out for that opportunity. If I could have slept (strapped to) on a litter in the actual baggage compartment with a bottle of oxygen, a -50F sleeping bag, a bottle of water and a bag of trail mix in case things went south, I would have been more comfortable. LOL CRAZY thing is I'd do it again because the Safari was so fantastic!

I haven’t flown with them to Africa, but I’m always surprised United gets such bad reviews for customer service. I fly at least once a month for work last 10 years. For North American carriers, United and Delta have always been best for getting me where I’m going. American loves to cancel my trip without rebooking me after I land in Dallas for a layover. Air Canada has always been the worst in all aspects. I really don’t think you know what you get until your trip starts unfortunately. They’ve all been good and bad at some point.

Recently, all the US carriers have been similar in lack of consistency with delayed and cancelled flights being the norm. A few years ago United had earned a bad rep for that. The last time I used them for international a couple of years ago they were fine, IMO better than Delta. Right now I don’t think they are any worse or better than any other. Be cautious of international partners and connections. I think 5 of the last multi connection flights I’ve booked, both domestic and international, have been fouled up by delays, changes, cancellations or outright misinformation. Right now I avoid Japan and JAL like the plague but that should have no affect on any Africa connections unless combining trip/vacation plans.

A week ago, I had the pleasure of two round trips between Anchorage and Dillingham within about a 3 hour span. Likely a rookie pilot soiled his seat cushion and aborted landing in Dillingham the last few seconds before touchdown. Went back to Anchorage. A second flight a couple hours later with a more seasoned pilot/crew had no trouble in identical conditions. Flying in marine environments is notorious for “tight” ceilings and soiled seat cushions. The only point to the story is that the Alaska Airlines experience may be an indicator of not enough pilots, crew and staff throughout the industry to support their published (and sold) flight schedules. I’d plan for the worst by setting up alternative timing options and be ready for on-the-fly alternatives (no pun intended) for the foreseeable future for air travel. I plan to if given that luxury.

Last edited:
I've flown through Newark a number of times on United, I personally have had zero issues, but there are those on here that have had nightmares. Actually, I am flying from Newark to JNB next Monday, I hope my good luck with them continues!! Just be sure to have 2 to 3 hours of layover coming back through Newark, clearing guns take a little while, plus that airport is for s***!!

United is my last choice for any flight in the US and my last choice for any long haul flight. I would not go if that my only choice. Unfortunately, I still have a few continental miles and a lot of partner miles in my UA account.

I used United to SA with rifles in July with no issues.

Flew United with guns out of EWR in '22 and '23. It's a wholesale airport. In other words, you need to know WTF you're doing. My experience was check in with whoever is at the kiosk, roll through TSA and then expect gate departure/wheels up one to two hours after scheduled. EWR-JNB is two hours flight time shorter than Delta, a HUGE plus for me. A word to the wise, if in steerage, get a bulkhead window seat. If exit row, NOT a window seat. Returning with guns is usually an hour extra, so provide for that delay. We drive home, about two hours, so that's a plus, not changing planes. Have flown to JNB through Dulles, Philly-Atlanta and EWR. My choice is EWR.

I flew United from Newark to Joburg late June and was delayed getting out of Newark by 3 hours. Returning to Joburg on July 7, we landed and retrieved our weapons only to hear from other hunters that United had cancelled its flight out that day. The reason given was that the plane had to be taken out of service for routine servicing??? But it was going to be okay because according to United, they had already rebooked us on the evening flight on the 10th. Thus, we could hang out in JoBurg for 3 days! I ended up booking a flight out on Delta to Atlanta that got us out that day and home faster. United ended up reimbursing us for the return trip.

All that said, we had no trouble with our firearms on United or Delta flying into or out of Newark or Atlanta. We did talk with another group of hunters who rebooked flights through Amsterdam and their rifles had to travel separately to Atlanta? I'd never heard of that. They were not happy.

Of the four international trips I've taken to Europe, Asia and Africa over the last 10 months (all but the Africa trip was for work). I have had flights significantly delayed or cancelled on three of the four. It seems that international travel is a bit sketchy these days.

Just returned from Zim flying United Chicago-Newark-Joburg. No issues all the way thru and on the return.
Firearms were checked theu to Joburg in Chicago.

On the return, Newark had Unitrd personnel waiting for us, called our names, and proceeded to take us thru the customs check and the recheck thru TSA. A United representative and baggage handler were with us the whole process and were nice enough.

I'd say that they are no better and quite possibly no worse than any of the other airlines fling to South Africa.

If I go back for my third hunt I will consider them but I will also take the advise of Jennifer at TE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosHeis

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.