Horseback Hunting Safaris in Namibia

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Kowas Hunting Safaris, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Is Horseback Hunting Safaris in Namibia a Good Idea?

1. Yes

95.7%
  2. No

4.3%
  1. Kowas Hunting Safaris

Kowas Hunting Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAPHA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
    I have thought about the idea of Horse-back Safaris for quit some time... I would like to have some inputs and shared ideas to round off this idea that I plan to putt together in 2018.

Our hunting area is 400 000 acres.... Most of it is huntable and quit easy to get to, however there are some areas that are extremely hilly and some places have huge mountains that's hard to penetrate on foot effectively. Especially when you actually harvest an animal. To get the meat and trophy out takes a lot of time and effort.

I'm thinking of horse-back safaris where you do a packed hunt (just like elk hunts in some areas in USA) with a horse for the client, one for the PH and one for the tracker/hunting assistant (totaling 3 horses) in addition, have two mules trailing the tracker/hunting assistant for carrying the meat and trophy if you harvest the animal. It will be well trained horses, selected for their behavior and walking ability in mountains.

The animals on such a trip that would be harvested on such trip would be Kudu, Oryx and Hartmann's Zebra.

We would then have 2-3 basic fly camps set up where we will sleep in tents and just have the basic necessities (including a shower)...

The clients that would be perfectly suited for such a hunt in my opinion, is clients that has horse experience... and clients that are in search of very high quality trophies. One would be able to hunt in areas that has not been hunted and the trophy quality would be exceptional.

My plan is to move a little back to yesteryear... Where hunts are a little more primitive and demanding. Just like it was in the earlier hunting years.

The nice thing is one would be able to return to top class accommodations at our main Lodge after a 3 day hunt...

Now, does this sound like a good idea? Any suggestions? Opinions? Advice?

Thank you in advance for your opinions...

My best,
    Jacques Strauss

Dinsdale, IdaRam and Velo Dog like this.

2. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    I think this is a fantastic idea! I really hope you have much success with your plan. I think horses just add something to the entire experience.

3. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    I have talked with a few outfitters and told them it would be great to have horses to use. My last trip in Namibia horses would have worked great and we talked about it some on the trip.

Even using them right out of home camp would be a nice change over the truck sometimes.

4. Bert the Turtle

Bert the Turtle AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I think it sounds like a great idea assuming you already have the horses and mules, and spare horses. There should be a market for hunts in difficult territory assuming the trophies are worth the effort of getting there.

Horses are a high commitment animal and I don't know if they would cover their expense if you have to add them specifically for the hunts. Some people are horse people, others aren't and if you aren't, it may be hard to put up with the level of care they require. Is there sufficient pasture at the fly camp site or will you have to pack in hay? Horses can be pretty sensitive to their diet. Is there reliable water for them? It is one thing to pack in water for people, another to pack it in for the animals.

Velo Dog and Pheroze like this.

5. Fred Gunner

Fred Gunner AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Sounds Great. Hunting rugged terrain I much prefer Mules over horses. Mules are tougher have more stamina and are more calm than the average horse. When a mule looses it's footing it will just sit down, where a horse will panic.

6. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    When I hunted my bighorn sheep here in Wy a few yrs ago we hunted off of horses. Had a great time. Something like 150 miles in 11 days. Got some saddle time in. Personally I would find it appealing. Like mentioned above the logistics change when using horses. As long as that is taken care of and good quality horses/mules are available then I think its a great idea. Sets you apart from some of the others. Great idea of utilizing areas that can't realistically be hunted otherwise. I'm always interested when you mention better quality trophies too. Bruce

7. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I like it!!

8. Kowas Hunting Safaris

Kowas Hunting Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAPHA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
    Thank you very much for your comments and opinions....!

My wife has got ample experience with horses. We have a few of them already and taking care of them takes time and effort, but she is doing a fine job! We are looking at getting mules pretty soon. Using mules rather than horses might be a very good option. We are most probably going to do a test hunt in November to see how it goes.

9. Dudders

Dudders AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    UK, South Africa, Namibia, Sweden
    I vote no can think of nothing worse than being sat on a horse

10. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    For those that can sit a horse, there will be no better offer.
    Go for it.

11. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    The concept is a very good idea IMO.
    And, I'm +1 with you Fred Gunner for mules.
    I've hunted for 9 days on horseback, in the Bitteroot Mountains of Idaho (mule deer & elk).
    It was fantastic and doing the same in Africa would be likewise, fantastic.
    Also, a friend I've known since elementary school, now has a farm in Siskyou County, California (borders Oregon), has been raising mules for 30 years and I ride mules there, now and then.
    Mules are superior in every way except that they jump creeks and such, whereas a horse will walk through them , lol.
    Pretty exciting if you're not used to a mule's problem solving techniques.
    I will be keen to see where this idea ends up.
    Bravo to Kowas Hunting Safaris for planning to test this idea.
    Horses or mules or both, all sounds good, I like it.

12. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I own both horses and mules for packing and riding into the back country and have been doing so for close to 30 years, there's good ones and bad ones in both critters, blanket statements are misleading.

13. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    I like the idea! I agree with another comment it might not hurt to have some mules as well.

14. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    It sounds like a great idea to me, I would love to do a hunt like this. It would certainly be a unique experience.
    I just wonder how tough it might be to make this a profitable venture? Good stock isn't easy to come by, especially good mules, and when they get sick or hurt it gets expensive fast. I would expect this would have to be a premium adventure with a premium price tag?
    Might you be able to set things up in such a way as to accommodate trips of different duration, from just a couple days to a week or more at a time. Some folks won't want to be away from the lodge more than 2 or 3 days. Others like me would be happy to go for much longer. Hmmm, a horseback leopard and plains game hunt of a couple weeks sounds just about perfect :D
    Very interesting concept, I hope you'll continue the dialogue as you ponder the possiblities. Would love to know more details as they take shape.
    In addition to Kudu, Gemsbok and Zebra what other animals might be available?
    Keep us posted! (y) Will look forward to hearing about your test run in November.

Kowas Hunting Safaris likes this.

15. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
    If you need someone to help you test the idea out, I will gladly volunteer my time! (all expense are covered for volunteers right???)

:whistle::rolleyes:

16. fish hunter

fish hunter AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    I hunted off horseback in Namibia in 2016 with Johnny shickerling of Agarob hunting safaris and had the time of my life! His horses were sure footed and made putting on the miles in the mountains very easy. Most of the time I just kept the rains on the saddle horn, the horses just followed the lead horse and stayed on the trails. Any age person with or without experience could have rode his horses

Dinsdale and jeff like this.

17. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    I hunted in the area around Arnos Namibia where the bushman trackers rode horses to track down a kuda for a lady on her last day. Horseback pack in would have to be more expensive just look at the cost out in the western US. Then you also have a better chance of getting hurt. I had my horse go down in a snow bank in Wyoming. Did'nt get hurt but was looking at his belly and legs for a while. Did crack the stock on my rifle.

18. Dinsdale

Dinsdale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Good people, haven't been able to get my schedule in sync with them for a hunt; but have met socially a few times now, and would be at the top of my list next time in Namibia.

Think adding the fly camp to this type of hunt would be an excellent idea.

19. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    Great Idea, sure beats walking for us Geezers