Hornady

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Anyone know how it is that Hornady has managed to always have bullets to sell? Seems like in the last 3 years, the only projectiles available are Hornady, maybe Barnes. They don’t seem to have any supply problems but you’d think the other manufacturers suddenly had to start mining lead and copper themselves with nothing but teaspoons for digging equipment. Just wondering what they are doing right and/or what everyone else is doing wrong.

Barnes has had a continuous and ongoing shortage of laborers. I looked into a job there at one point.
Can’t speak for hornady but some companies supply ammunition for the military which precededs hunting ammunition.
Hornadys more popular stuff has still been hard to find. . .

None of their bullets are what I would call "sophisticated". At most, their bullet making machines likely have to pass a given caliber through 5? Maybe 6 processes/dies to form a completed bullet. Plus, hornady manufacturing is a huge facility. They can machine gun bullets out of their presses as they aren't super concerned about quality like sierra. So they can probably produce a hundred cheap bullets for every 5 that swift produces.

Not every game animal requires a ‘premium’ bullet. On light game especially a tough bullet can be a disadvantage in creating a quick killing wound channel. I believe tha the Nosler Partition is a exception.

Not every game animal requires a ‘premium’ bullet. On light game especially a tough bullet can be a disadvantage in creating a quick killing wound channel. I believe tha the Nosler Partition is a exception.
Definitely agree. But, on larger animals especially, a slightly bigger hole will kill only maybe slightly more effectively. If you think of punching a 1/2" hole vs a 3/4" or 1" hole. On a 5 gallon bucket, that is significant. On the hoover dam, not so much.

to all the people saying “Hornady bullets”
As a blanket statement for previous results.

They designed and produce over 10 different bullet designs. Ranging massively in design and purpose. It would be nice to know WHICH hornady bullet?

I see people say “I’m looking for some hornady superformance, my rifle loves it”

well which one? They load 4 different bullets or more into the superformace lines….

to all the people saying “Hornady bullets”
As a blanket statement for previous results.

They designed and produce over 10 different bullet designs. Ranging massively in design and purpose. It would be nice to know WHICH hornady bullet?

I see people say “I’m looking for some hornady superformance, my rifle loves it”

well which one? They load 4 different bullets or more into the superformace lines….
Yep imo do your homework because only two of the five are hunting medium game bullets.
the other three are varmit rounds

I think Hornady has the economy of scale and financial stability to buy large lots of materials and focus on civilian rather than government contracts.

Seems to be working well for them, I use their bullets for Whitetail weighing up to 240lbs

.300Win 180gr BTSP
.270 140gr BTSP

I always get penetration and of dropped in their tracks.

I will concede that I have move confidence with angled shots and bigger game with Accubonds 140gr in the .270 and 200gr Partitions for moose in .300win.

None of their bullets are what I would call "sophisticated". At most, their bullet making machines likely have to pass a given caliber through 5? Maybe 6 processes/dies to form a completed bullet. Plus, hornady manufacturing is a huge facility. They can machine gun bullets out of their presses as they aren't super concerned about quality like sierra. So they can probably produce a hundred cheap bullets for every 5 that swift produces.
Yeah, they perform like it, too...

Yeah, they perform like it, too...
I can't say they are bad. I do have my fair share of them in my gun cabinet for varmint, deer, and target practice... but when I go out for a serious bit of hunting, I take the rounds I loaded with barnes ttsx.

I really like their Interbonds in my .30's. Apparently, folks had trouble getting them to shoot and group well in other calibers. When I learned they were doing away with the Interbond, I went and bought a lifetime supply of them.

IIRC, the only bonded bullet they now offer is the DGX.

I would never call Hornady bad, I say they are industry leading in many ways. New bullets and new cartridges, I have never used their bullets for hunting, I am a Nosler guy. But up here in Canada our shelves are red, top to bottom, Hornady are the ONLY bullets available. I am told its due to their not having any US Gov contracts, they focus on hunters/hunting bullets.

I need 180 gr 30 cal (ran out of accubonds) really want to try the new terminal ascent (TA) from Federal, even sent them an email asking for a Canadian date. Silence so far? Now looking at Hornady's CX, they are in every store and even cheaper than TA. Thinking some 2023 bullets have evolved past accubonds, my only gripe with them is weight retention and a no crimp cannelure. TA and CX both have crimp rings and weight retention is stated much more than the 60% of accubonds.

I do have a few 100 Hornady interlock and a few 100 more interbond, all in various calibers. Purchased while in Canadian Navy days on monthly stops in San Diego, at $10 box of 100 and meant as practice ammo, who could have thought.

I will wait another couple months for the TA, then if none are available become a Hornady guy to feed the 300 wsm, if they work and I expect they will, red boxes will slowly fill my loading room shelves. My hats of to Hornady for placing hunters first.

MB

I would never call Hornady bad, I say they are industry leading in many ways. New bullets and new cartridges, I have never used their bullets for hunting, I am a Nosler guy. But up here in Canada our shelves are red, top to bottom, Hornady are the ONLY bullets available. I am told its due to their not having any US Gov contracts, they focus on hunters/hunting bullets.

I need 180 gr 30 cal (ran out of accubonds) really want to try the new terminal ascent (TA) from Federal, even sent them an email asking for a Canadian date. Silence so far? Now looking at Hornady's CX, they are in every store and even cheaper than TA. Thinking some 2023 bullets have evolved past accubonds, my only gripe with them is weight retention and a no crimp cannelure. TA and CX both have crimp rings and weight retention is stated much more than the 60% of accubonds.

I do have a few 100 Hornady interlock and a few 100 more interbond, all in various calibers. Purchased while in Canadian Navy days on monthly stops in San Diego, at $10 box of 100 and meant as practice ammo, who could have thought.

I will wait another couple months for the TA, then if none are available become a Hornady guy to feed the 300 wsm, if they work and I expect they will, red boxes will slowly fill my loading room shelves. My hats of to Hornady for placing hunters first.

MB
The CX is no different than Barnes or any copper bullet. Nearly 99% weight retention when all petals are kept.

Love em

I'd say ELD-X (any cup-and-core, TBH) is probably not a good idea out of a fast mover like a 300 PRC. This was 200+ yards with a 212 gr.

1702052136302.png

For cartridges where MV is no more than 2500-2600 fps, I think Interlocks perform quite nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquieLon

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.