Hornady New Monolithic Bullet Line

Hornady bullets may not be the best for every application but the company seems to respond to shooter’s needs. They changed the DGX to a bonded bullet for better performance. Developed the aluminum tipped long range target bullets. Reloading equipment. Possibly the greatest contribution: ammo and components for “classic” rifle cartridges.

Last summer I used Hornady's GMXs in my 270WBY at 3400 fps with great success. Next summer I'm going back after bigger game. I have a good supply of the GMXs in .375 as well as 300 grain A-Frames. I'm really fighting with myself on which one to use: the general history and reputation of the A-Frames vs the aerodynamics and personal history with the GMXs.
The new CX appears to be the old GMX with the non melting tip of the ELD-X, plus less drag from improved cannelure/stress groves. Under 300 yards I can't imagine a significant difference in performance. Past that, count me out.

Toby that is very true. They really have a lot going on. In some large calibers they are the only ammo that is available. Steve and Jason have a commitment and a personal interest in the safari industry.
From the little I have seen on TV and in the magazines, Steve is a hardcore African hunter. Don't know Jason...brother or son?

From the little I have seen on TV and in the magazines, Steve is a hardcore African hunter. Don't know Jason...brother or son?
Jason is his son and like his dad has been featured on many safari shows on tv.

I load my own, and have the dies to do so for every gun I own. That said, some factory ammos shoot incredibly accurately out of a few of my guns, so I'm good with using that factory ammo. Some of the LEVER ammo shoots really well in a few of my rifles, to include the following: 325 grain .45-70, .338 Marlin, and .35 Remington, all of which have the FTX bullets. I was leery of a plastic tip at first, but that apprehension died away long ago. I have zero issues with them on moose and caribou up here; I've never had one fail. I like Hornady myself
@Tundra Tiger
The FTX in the 444 marlin holds together well and I have never had any problems with the SSTs in 25 and 30 cal just wish they did a 225 and 250 grain SST For the 35 Whelen. The 200gr FTX is a bit soft at Whelen velocity.
Bob

I have to give Hornady credit. .While the other bullet companies are more concerned with mergers and acquisitions, Hornady is investing in new equipment and meeting market demands. As a reloader dealing with the shortages, the only words I have for Sierra, Barnes, Berger and Nosler are Lets Go Brandon.
They also sell most calibers in boxes of 100, as opposed to pretty LGB boxes of 50 or even 20!!! How I missed the 190 gr .30s...Perfect for a lot of situations!

The only Hornady ammo I've killed anything with is their .223 Custom with 55gr V-Max. That stuff shoots 3/8" groups out of a cheap Stevens 200 and those V-Max are devastating on coyotes.

For the price of their DG bullets and the work they've done on improving them, as well as keeping up good productivity, I would say we're lucky to have Hornady around.
@CJW
The Stevens 200 is a cheap version of the Savage 110 but for a cheap rifle it outshoots a lot of rifles worth a bucket load more money.
The only issue is the factory trigger is crap. This doesn't affect tha accuracy tho. I fitted mine with a rifle basix trigger and set it at 2#. Stock design is also great with a classic design that goes a long way to mitigating recoil by bringing it back in a nice straight line.
I better shut up the thread is about Hornady not the Stevens 200.
Bob

Steve Hornady’s daughter was with him in several tv episodes as well and struck me as a true hunter. They make several products I really like.
Barnes is chronically understaffed-their factory is not far from me. They promised me a tour and interview when covid slacks off.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CJW
The Stevens 200 is a cheap version of the Savage 110 but for a cheap rifle it outshoots a lot of rifles worth a bucket load more money.
The only issue is the factory trigger is crap. This doesn't affect tha accuracy tho. I fitted mine with a rifle basix trigger and set it at 2#. Stock design is also great with a classic design that goes a long way to mitigating recoil by bringing it back in a nice straight line.
I better shut up the thread is about Hornady not the Stevens 200.
Bob

Same experience with mine except a Timney at 2#. Great little lightweight gun to bang around with.

I'll shut up now too ;-)

Once again at a farm supply store yesterday, Hornady were the only bullets on the shelf. I meant to go back and grab a box of .308 but forgot and walked out.

Same experience with mine except a Timney at 2#. Great little lightweight gun to bang around with.

I'll shut up now too ;-)
@CJW
Mine went from a tackdriver 270 to a tackdriver 35 Whelen. It's that accurate If'n you were bending over at 100 yards they would be hard pressed to find the bullet hole after 3 shots. They would find the hole in your pants but the entry point on your body would be difficult to see.

My personal views towards Hornady has are quite zigzagged. They have ( historically speaking ) quite a few accomplishments under their belt. From 1958 to 1968 ( in .308 caliber, .338 caliber, .375 caliber and .458 caliber ) and again from 1981 to 1991( in .375 caliber, .416 caliber and .458 caliber ) , they used to offer a VERY high quality round nosed copper clad steel jacketed solid as a reloading component. This was revolutionary at the time and these bullets were far stronger than anything British or Continental European companies were producing at the time. But then, in the 1970s and 1990s … Hornady switched the steel jacket for cheaper alternatives ( cupronickel in the 1970s and copper in the 1990s ) and the consequences were disastrous. Eventually, Hornady did come to their senses by using steel jackets in their “Dangerous Game Solid“ ( DGS ) line of factory loads and bullets … Which are more or less reliable. But I’ve personally seen more than three instances of Hornady DGS bullets badly distorting when taking shoulder shots on Cape buffalo or frontal brain shots on elephant.

Hornady also played a vital role in reintroducing factory loaded ammunition for many of the traditional Nitro Express calibers. And that too, at relatively affordable price brackets. They definitely listened to their customers about the shortcomings of their “ Dangerous Game eXpanding“ ( DGX ) bullet and decided to solve the problem by bonding the lead cores to the jackets from 2018 onwards. If only they did this with their DGS bullets …

Personally speaking, I’m elated to see Hornady introduce their new monolithic bullet line. I just hope that they soon introduce a .375 caliber monolithic bullet in 300 Gr weight. And expanding their monolithic bullet line to cover some of the bigger bore calibers would also be nice.

If Hornandy would make a bullet as tough as the A frame or bear claw, then offer a well designed monolithic solid also. They could absolutely dominate the Safari caliber, factory ammunition, market.
We Safari caliber lovers should be forever grateful to hornandy for keeping our favorite cartridges alive. However, they are so close to really having something.

If Hornandy would make a bullet as tough as the A frame or bear claw, then offer a well designed monolithic solid also. They could absolutely dominate the Safari caliber, factory ammunition, market.
We Safari caliber lovers should be forever grateful to hornandy for keeping our favorite cartridges alive. However, they are so close to really having something.
@Wyatt Smith
Woodleigh has done more to keep safari calibers going than any other company. Norma and Federal use them in their professional and DG loads. Hopefully Woodleigh will rise again like the Phoenix from the ashes.
Bob

@Wyatt Smith
Woodleigh has done more to keep safari calibers going than any other company. Norma and Federal use them in their professional and DG loads. Hopefully Woodleigh will rise again like the Phoenix from the ashes.
Bob
Of course Bob, I should have mentioned them, but this is a hornandy thread and idea escaped me.

Was wandering through some old threads when I came across my last post in this one.

I worked up a 165 grain CX load for my .30-06 using 58 grains of H4350 for an average MV of 2,914 fps from a 24" barrel. As with just about any bullet placed in the right spot this CX bullet is devastating on Elk.

Better yet, I'm able to use up the remaining stash of equal weight GMX bullets without tweaking the recipe. MV differences are inconsequential. Also, if like me you have a remaining stash of Hornady 165 grain Interbonds, adding a 0.5 grain of powder to the CX recipe gets me very close to the same average MV.

Now, if Hornady offered up a CX for the 9.3mm and perhaps a 270 grain CX for the H&H, that would be interesting...

Happy Camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.