Hornady DGS Bullets

Correct! Many people have had issues not me! Taken two of the Big Five with Hornady DGX and one of the Big Five with DGS.

I haven’t had issues either with them. But I hope I just didn’t put my foot in my mouth as I’m headed back to Zimbabwe in September for DG!

What is the deal with these? I read some negative comments but don’t understand what is wrong....seems to apply to solids and softs.

I’m sure there are better, but the Hornady price is right.

I don’t hear the same things said about their ammo, but it surely uses the same bullets.
DGX is the one that I've heard so many failures. The bullet does not stay together. DGS is a solid and I am not sure of problems there.
Hornady bullets in non DG calibers are considered good by most. However on my most recent safari a friend using a 6.5 Creedmore had this same type of bullet failure where it just comes apart. There are too many good bullets like Barnes for me to want to use Hornady especially in DG.
Philip

I haven’t had issues either with them. But I hope I just didn’t put my foot in my mouth as I’m headed back to Zimbabwe in September for DG!
Good luck on your hunt.

You are absolutely right Longwalker, fat fingers, they were non bonded DGX, thanks for pointing out the error. My point was that Hornady sold terrible and potentially dangerous bullets. My experience was shared by many. I won’t take a chance on Hornady again.

It’s too bad because accuracy was outstanding. However, accuracy can’t cover up poor terminal performance.

You are absolutely right Longwalker, fat fingers, they were non bonded DGX, thanks for pointing out the error. My point was that Hornady sold terrible and potentially dangerous bullets. My experience was shared by many. I won’t take a chance on Hornady again.

It’s too bad because accuracy was outstanding. However, accuracy can’t cover up poor terminal performance.
Absolutely!

Correct! Many people have had issues not me! Taken two of the Big Five with Hornady DGX and one of the Big Five with DGS.

What rifle were you using? Bolt or double? At what velocities?

What rifle were you using? Bolt or double? At what velocities?

Was using the Ruger 416 Guide Gun! Both DGX and DGS Fire rounds at 2400 feet per second!

The old Hornady DGX was total crap and it was known and obvious if you were willing to open your eyes. DGS seemed better but still plenty of failures.

Hornady never did admit they had a problem. Just changed the bullet. Why change it when you tell everyone how awesome it was? Hmmmm..... :E Hmmm:

Want to hunt with an inferior bullet? Go for it. Many do. They are cheap for a reason. Want the beat bullet for Dangerous Game? There are many, many superior options.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/why-avoid-hornady-dg-bullets-and-ammunition.39124/

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/why-avoid-hornady-dg-bullets-and-ammunition.39124/

In the second thread 2 out of 211 people believe Hornady to be the best. That's .9%.

I don't believe that either voter made comments in the thread supporting their opinion. I guess they were either embarrassed or a Hornady sponsor.

I got a Ruger 375 and started Shooting with 300 gr Hornady DG amo. I sighted them in at 50/100 yds. Dead on at both. My goal was to get that Cape Buffalo.
Reality hit and I thought I could use it for Elk.
I found some Hornady 270 gr DG Ammo after shooting it I thought maybe I should zero at 200 yds.View attachment 295419
All out of the box I don’t load shells.
Some of you have seen this from other threads but they are great.
This is the Rifle.

View attachment 295422

The day I changed fro a zero at 100 to 200.

View attachment 295421

First shot was the one between the 8 and 9 ring.

Adjusted and shot three more the two touching the red dot an the third touching the 9 ring at 200 yards.
Bottom small target is at 300. The box said that it should be 8 inches low at 300 yards.
I put a small target 8 inches high and aimed at it the hole on the 8 ring at 300 yards is only off by about an inch inch and a half.
I am betting on Hornady bullets for my hunt this year.
All the small holes are from my Ruger 204 with factory ammunition.

The grouping on paper is quite adequate, even impressive. FOR ELK, you will be just fine. I must point out that paper doesn't charge you, stomp you (or your P.H./tracker). If you get the chance to take it to Africa on DG, please listen to those who have real experience and are not selling bullets, and use a premium bullet. Good luck on your elk hunt, let us know how it goes.

The grouping on paper is quite adequate, even impressive. FOR ELK, you will be just fine. I must point out that paper doesn't charge you, stomp you (or your P.H./tracker). If you get the chance to take it to Africa on DG, please listen to those who have real experience and are not selling bullets, and use a premium bullet. Good luck on your elk hunt, let us know how it goes.

Wow I bet you are a fun person to have at a gathering. No one else would know as much as you so you would dominate the conversation.
Tom
I enjoy commenting to some of these threads you definitely take the fun out of it!

Wow I bet you are a fun person to have at a gathering. No one else would know as much as you so you would dominate the conversation.
Tom
I enjoy commenting to some of these threads you definitely take the fun out of it!

@K-man gave good advice, is correct, and didn't seem to be rude or arroganr at all in his post.

You might want to read his post again in a more open manner .

And by the way, you're correct. Kevin is a fun person at a gathering. He is good for some great laughs at DSC every year. You should come to the dinner next year and find out for yourself. :)

@K-man gave good advice, is correct, and didn't seem to be rude or arroganr at all in his post.

You might want to read his post again in a more open manner .

And by the way, you're correct. Kevin is a fun person at a gathering. He is good for some great laughs at DSC every year. You should come to the dinner next year and find out for yourself. :)

Well said Royal.

Luckily his dad backed him up with his 9.3x62. One shot in the neck.
. JMO

Hard to miss and not much need to guess elevation i suppose :LOL::LOL::LOL:

On a more serious not the new DGX is a bonded bullet. I have used is on targets only so far but what I have recovered from the sand has all held up very well. From a 400grn start weight a loss of 50-70grns is expected but like I said thats going into sand.

Last edited:
Hard to miss and not much need to guess elevation i suppose :LOL::LOL::LOL:

On a more serious not the new DGX is a bonded bullet. I have used is on targets only so far but what I have recovered from the sand has all held up very well. From a 400grn start weight a loss of 50-70grns is expected but like I said thats going into sand.

Can you share some pics?

That's one of of them most of them I have. Most of the others I gave away as other shooters at the range are always very interested
IMG_20191125_070819258.jpeg
View attachment 315545
IMG_20191125_070837454.jpeg
IMG_20191125_070845485.jpeg

It appears the bonding worked and no separation between the lead and copper! Maybe they will work.
Did you use one on your lion?

I can't be sure, but from the variety of comments I believe that people don't actually distinguish between questions asked about the Hornady Dangerous Game Solid (DGS) and their Dangerous Game eXpanding ( DGX) bullets. A year or two ago Hornady corrected their earlier design deficiency in the Dangerous Game eXpanding bullet by bonding jacket to core. I suspect the reputation of the bullet was already made, and it wasn't good. And now few people who had bad experiences with the non-bonded version are willing to try the newer bonded type.
Except for the post by Ridgewalker above, I have not heard or read of other credible reports of a DGS failing that didn't leave me wondering if they were actually describing the old version of DGX. Hornady would have done themselves and hunters a favour by naming their bullets with distinct, separate names that don't get confused.
I believe Hornady did try to rename the DGX but ran into a snag when Barnes got involved, it seems that it was much to close to the name of their triple shock bullet.....therefore the Hornady Cripple-shock was never marketed.lol

It appears the bonding worked and no separation between the lead and copper! Maybe they will work.
Did you use one on your lion?
Nope I used a 250grn 375 H&H

Looks better than the old DGX. Did you get a chance to weigh the bullet and thus get a weight retention number?
Yep they generally lost between 50-70grns from a 400grn start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg