Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
In a recent thread we talked about curing a flinch, and I have a small one that is annoying. The proposed cure was dry firing, and of course I don't want to damage my double so need some snap caps. None to be had locally, so how do you make them from empty cartridge cases? This is for the 375 Flanged Magnum.
The other reason is to practice firing off sticks, etc. My ammo is very hard to come by, so I can do some live practice, but not too much, at least until we can travel regionally again.

I have made them in the past by using a piece of brass with an already fired primer left in it.. I then seat a bullet on top, but put no powder in the round..

Then, to make sure I never confuse it for a live round I take a small, 1/16th drill bit, and drill a couple of holes through the brass to make sure its easily identifiable as a dummy round.. then take some very fine sand paper and make sure there are no burrs of brass around the holes..

The last thing I do is then take a permanent marker, like a sharpie, and color the entire thing red or green..

The marker will rub off over time, but youll have enough color left on the dummy round to make it pretty identifiable for a long time.. and can always touch it back up with a marker again when needed..

I made a couple for my 450-400, use an empty case, push out primer, seat a bullet with no powder, and place a small piece(round) of bench matting just cut it into a primer size with an exacto knife, the Matt material will absorb the firing pin strike. You should mark it somehow, sharpie on Bullet or whatever you like, simple, works good

I’ve been making 375 Ruger Snap caps for the past five years…(they don’t last more than 50 dry fires)

After Resizing and cleaning I drill a larger flash hole and chamfer the primer pocket slightly. Then fill the case 2/3rds with hot glue and while the case is warm flip and fill the primer pocket with hot glue. let cool trim the excess hard glue and seat a Bullet you’d never use…I pick Hornady Solids

1. Take a .22 gauge sheath and use it to cut a eraser

The eraser placed in the place of the primer absorbs perfectly.
2. The eraser cylinder is taken and placed as a primer in a sheath without primer

Finally, the tip is placed and the cartridge is assembled without powder.

Attachments

• sc1.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 190
  • sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 180
  • sc3.jpg
    sc3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 172
1. Take a .22 gauge sheath and use it to cut a eraser

The eraser placed in the place of the primer absorbs perfectly.
2. The eraser cylinder is taken and placed as a primer in a sheath without primer

Finally, the tip is placed and the cartridge is assembled without powder.
Thanks JLF for taking all the trouble, very clear.

Thanks MDwest. I had the same idea, but someone said that once indented the primer no longer cushioned the firing pin sufficiently?
It is probably better than nothing, there must be some resistance

Thanks MDwest. I had the same idea, but someone said that once indented the primer no longer cushioned the firing pin sufficiently?
@Kevin Peacocke
Relpace the primer with a hard piece of rubber to cushion the blow. You can the de rubber it with normal reloading and replace it when worn.
A good sharp Holland punch and and old tyre will be fine. Think outside the box.
For cheap practice use cast bullets.
Bob.

Kevin, FYI, a search on YouTube came up with a number of methods.

I use either superglue OR a spare bit of two part epoxy if I am repairing/joining timber at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross