Hi there... Long time lurker here...

wiltznucs

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi there,

Chad here; I live in Tampa, Florida. I make wine for a living; so that’s my gig.

Lifelong outdoorsman; I’ve hunted and fished across the US, Canada and Mexico.

I’m currently booked to hunt SA with Ken Moody in June. Primary target is Cape Buffalo and Kudu. Plains game as opportunities present themselves. Fingers crossed that it still happens with all the Covid stuff.

This will be my first trip to Africa; I’d actually booked a hunt over a decade ago but my trip was cancelled due to unrest. Then kids and life happened and I’m only now able to get in the trip of my dreams.

In the meantime, my only quasi-African animal is this Oryx I picked up in New Mexico last year.

Cheers!
0BE412CB-8479-4CED-8828-A4F371FFDD2A.jpeg

Twelcome and good luck with your trip. What gun you taking for buff

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard and best wishes for a successful hunt.

Twelcome and good luck with your trip. What gun you taking for buff

I’d bought 416 WBY for the original hunt some years back. To be honest; I’d always dreamed of hunting with a double.

Fast forward some 20 years and I’m currently having an 89B built by Heym in 450/400. I hope to have it in the coming weeks!

Hi there,

Chad here; I live in Tampa, Florida. I make wine for a living; so that’s my gig.

Lifelong outdoorsman; I’ve hunted and fished across the US, Canada and Mexico.

I’m currently booked to hunt SA with Ken Moody in June. Primary target is Cape Buffalo and Kudu. Plains game as opportunities present themselves. Fingers crossed that it still happens with all the Covid stuff.

This will be my first trip to Africa; I’d actually booked a hunt over a decade ago but my trip was cancelled due to unrest. Then kids and life happened and I’m only now able to get in the trip of my dreams.

In the meantime, my only quasi-African animal is this Oryx I picked up in New Mexico last year.

Cheers!
View attachment 390439
Good luck!

Welcome to AH! Nice choice on the Heym double! Currently considering the same!
Shot with Chris last year. The 88 and 89B performance is effectively the same. Really comes down to aesthetics; whichever pleases you most.

I shot VC, Merkel and Heym. As a Southpaw the used gun really wasn’t an option for me.

I handled the 470 and even the 500 well; however, I know Buff is as far as I’m gonna go. So the 450/400 seemed like the sweet spot. Handled great, recoil was very manageable and it should get the job done on Buff and larger game. I even elected to get the heavier frame just to make it effortless to shoot.

Will post pics when it arrives.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH, Chad! You should have a great trip for Cape buffalo and kudu!

Welcome to AH Chad! Beautiful Oryx trophy you got there. Nice to have you here with us.

Giday Chad and welcome to the A H forums

I’d bought 416 WBY for the original hunt some years back. To be honest; I’d always dreamed of hunting with a double.

Fast forward some 20 years and I’m currently having an 89B built by Heym in 450/400. I hope to have it in the coming weeks!
What happened to the .416 WBY?

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH. nice Oryx, i'm envious mine is waiting for me in 2023.

@wiltznucs ,

Welcome from your Florida neighbor to the South...! This is a great forum with a lot of friendly, knowledgeable folks all eager to offer advice and assistance. Enjoy!

Welcome to the dark side. You have joined the best hunting site going. Good luck on your upcoming safari. Please post a report on your return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois