Hi from the UK

:S Welcome: to AH!

Welcome from another UK member. I have a 30-06 that I have used on everything from roe to kudu. I went through the same thought process as you and have ended up with a 30-06, a 22 Hornet and a 375 H and H.

I was originally going to get a 9.3x62 but when I found out that the 9.3 and .375 moderators currently available in the UK are roughly the same weight, I went with the 375, to give more flexibility.

I am happy that the 30-06 will do the job on boar.
The 9.3 is going to purely for boar, with red dot and no mod.

the 308 / 30.06 will be a moded stalking. I might end up with one of each, one for hill and one for woodland stalking

Welcome on board from another Brit… The 9.3x62 and .375 are quite similar. Have you considered spreading out a bit further and going up to a .416 or .404 instead of the .375 or staying with the .375 and going bigger to the .458s?? Just a thought…
I’ve not thought about anything larger than a .375, might be, worth looking into though.

Welcome to the forum.
You have precisely hit my inventory, and exact purpose of each.
If I may add - get a 22lr on the list for pest cotrol, and cheap training.
It’s on the shopping list. As you say, the 22lr is great for plinking and pest control

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place!

Welcome! Plan sounds solid! How is ammo availability for you in those calibers?

Welcome! Plan sounds solid! How is ammo availability for you in those calibers?
308 & 30.06 - alway available locally
9.3 - can be a little tricky to get hold of.
375 - not a clue as not looked that far ahead yet.

A member of my rifle club has offered to teach me how to reload and I've got lots of brass from outings.

I have just been looking in to .375 availability before buying dies etc. basically, there are none in stock locally but my local gun shop can order them in with about a month’s notice. Barnes are about £120/20 and PPU are £38/20 in soft or solid. I am trying to decide whether I am better reloading or buying PPU for practice and Barnes for use abroad. I am not sure how good PPU is, I have a friend who uses a lot in .243 and has hunted buffalo with the .375 and loves it but I have also read a lot of negative reviews. PPU seems to be the gamekeepers choice in my area and a few culling contractors use it where they are allowed to use lead.

One shop told me there is a minimum order of 100 cartridges for PPU and they advised me not to order them unless I will use them all this year, due to the probable impending lead ban.

I believe that loaded Peregrine ammunition is available as well but I haven’t got an answer on that yet.

Are reload supplies available? (I have no knowledge of the rules you deal with)

Are reload supplies available? (I have no knowledge of the rules you deal with)
Widely available. We are just restricted to REACH compliant powders (basically rules out most US powders). We can only reload to the number of cartridges permitted on our licence but at the moment, there is no restriction on components. For example, I am allowed 200 loaded 30-06 cartridges and 100 .375 cartridges, but this is on the condition that I do not try to shoot anything other than a target with the .375.

The other issue with reloaded ammunition in the UK is the some leases prohibit homeloaded ammunition, particularly those on government owned land.
I would estimate 40% of people will load their own ammunition.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome from Somerset UK.

FN

Welcome from Warwickshire. Planning on setting up a simulated dangerous game course in the midlands for anyone interested. Chance to test out gear and improve shooting and rapid reloading skills. If you are nearby and need some reloading help pm me.

Welcome from Warwickshire. Planning on setting up a simulated dangerous game course in the midlands for anyone interested. Chance to test out gear and improve shooting and rapid reloading skills. If you are nearby and need some reloading help pm me.
I’d like to hear more about this. Can you send me some more info?
cheers
R

Very interested

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AileenGayt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.