Help save the CZ 550!

I suspect that CZ will discontinue the 550 30/06 length action which will obviously include the 9.3x62.

I would be very surprised if they discontinued the 375 length action 550 though. But who knows.

Personally it would not worry me particularly though. Plenty of M98 actions around and one of their derivatives like the Ruger, M70 etc.

In fact I would go as far to say that actions like the Weatherby MK5 are better in just about every way, ex factory than some of the bodgy ex factory M98 type actions around. I would have no problems hunting DG with a Mk5, Blaser R8, Steyr, Sauer202 etc - they all work very well.

However if I was guiding, then I would no doubt be happier with a CRF actioned rifle - preferably built on a Granite Mountain Arms action or similar.

But then I would probably prefer a double rifle if I could afford it - and forget all the bolt action rifles anyway........

I suspect that CZ will discontinue the 550 30/06 length action which will obviously include the 9.3x62.

I would be very surprised if they discontinued the 375 length action 550 though. But who knows.

Personally it would not worry me particularly though. Plenty of M98 actions around and one of their derivatives like the Ruger, M70 etc.

In fact I would go as far to say that actions like the Weatherby MK5 are better in just about every way, ex factory than some of the bodgy ex factory M98 type actions around. I would have no problems hunting DG with a Mk5, Blaser R8, Steyr, Sauer202 etc - they all work very well.

However if I was guiding, then I would no doubt be happier with a CRF actioned rifle - preferably built on a Granite Mountain Arms action or similar.

But then I would probably prefer a double rifle if I could afford it - and forget all the bolt action rifles anyway........

i think you maybe missing the point as to why people like the cz550 , its the value they provide and this allows a lot of people including hard up ph`s especially early in their careers, or people who want one but maybe cant justify/need one to be able to buy a reliable big calibre rifle. most of the rifles you refer to are considerably more money. it also provides a rifle that is at a price where people can spend some money on it having it tweaked to how they want it, without breaking the bank on a full custom build. i dont know what a granite mountain action costs but most custom built actions are not far off what a cz rifle costs .

it worked out to about usd $800.00 when i converted it. only price guide i could find over here was one brand new with exact same spec and it was being sold at $1998.00 after converting.........

spike,congrats on the 550 416 rigby,I love mine ..... I am now after a 550 404 Jeffery

i think you maybe missing the point as to why people like the cz550 , its the value they provide and this allows a lot of people including hard up ph`s especially early in their careers, or people who want one but maybe cant justify/need one to be able to buy a reliable big calibre rifle. most of the rifles you refer to are considerably more money. it also provides a rifle that is at a price where people can spend some money on it having it tweaked to how they want it, without breaking the bank on a full custom build. i dont know what a granite mountain action costs but most custom built actions are not far off what a cz rifle costs .

correct

spike,congrats on the 550 416 rigby,I love mine ..... I am now after a 550 404 Jeffery

thanks, it would have been good if it was in .404 just to keep Doc happy ;)..also never had a .404 so will be keeping an eye out as well , good luck in your search :beer:

the 404's are proving to be difficult to find here in SA.

Well the 550 is not dead. Just another model introduced to fill a discontinued niche. This is a reply to a South African from CZ as posted on AR.

'It appears that the 550 will be discontinued but no timeline can be given. The 550 American has been discontinued for 2014 but the dangerous game calibers will continue to utilise the 550 action'.

So if you want the 550 American model in a non dangerous game calibre, buy it now, other models you have until sometime in the future ??, to buy one.

I assume (from the CZ website) this is what will remain available:
CZ 550 MAGNUM STANDARD | Centerfire Rifles magnum - Ceska zbrojovka

CZ has responded to my request for information. There response shows me that they are interested in their customers. I've attached it below

A few years ago the factory decided to develop a push-feed version of the 550 action, resulting in the 557. Their reasoning was that the controlled round feed of the Mauser action is most important on the dangerous game rifles, not necessarily on the medium game chamberings.

A big reason for the change was that they would be able to bring production of the 557 fully in-house. The 550 actions are milled from forgings and are supplied by an outside vendor, while the new 557 is CNCed from steel billet at our factory. This removes the supply issue that at times hampered production on the 550, as well as enables us to tighten tolerances and produce a more precise product. It also enables us to have a true short-action platform for the .308, .243 and .22-250, which we've been wanting for some time.

Most importantly, while the Mauser action has many devoted fans, sales of the standard 550 have dropped off substantially over the years. We will continue to produce a number of standard 550s for 2014, but the main focus in CZ-USA's medium rifle category will be the 557. We have no plans to get rid of the 550 Magnum.

The 557 is a premium push-feed rifle and we're proud to add it to the lineup. Combined with our cold hammer forged and lapped barrel, it'll be an excellent gun for anything from prairie dogs to moose.

Thanks!

Zach Hein
800 955 4486
fax: 913 321 2251
CZ-USA

Here's the answer I got from CZ about discontinuing the 550

Jay,

A few years ago the factory decided to develop a push-feed version of the 550 action, resulting in the 557. Their reasoning was that the controlled round feed of the Mauser action is most important on the dangerous game rifles, not necessarily on the medium game chamberings.

A big reason for the change was that they would be able to bring production of the 557 fully in-house. The 550 actions are milled from forgings and are supplied by an outside vendor, while the new 557 is CNCed from steel billet at our factory. This removes the supply issue that at times hampered production on the 550, as well as enables us to tighten tolerances and produce a more precise product. It also enables us to have a true short-action platform for the .308, .243 and .22-250, which we've been wanting for some time.

Most importantly, while the Mauser action has many devoted fans, sales of the standard 550 have dropped off substantially over the years. We will continue to produce a number of standard 550s for 2014, but the main focus in CZ-USA's medium rifle category will be the 557. We have no plans to get rid of the 550 Magnum.

The 557 is a premium push-feed rifle and we're proud to add it to the lineup. Combined with our cold hammer forged and lapped barrel, it'll be an excellent gun for anything from prairie dogs to moose.

Thanks!

Zach Hein

800 955 4486

fax: 913 321 2251

young Zach ,has been asked this question before
I think

Let's read through the company BS, because I've heard a lot of it in the last 40 years. Bottom line costs have rose, the market for the 550 is not making them enough money, which is fine, after all a company has to make money. By moving everything in house they will be making more money which is good for the company. Simple enough.

If you look at Ruger's history, they got rid of the RSM which was a really serious gun, the stock market might be around 16,000 but everyone is still counting pennies.

Bottom line if you are moving towards push feed, it makes Ruger rifles look even BETTER! And I'd rather have a Browning any day of the week, they feed flawlessly, shoot accurate.

No problem. Who, where and when is the source ? I guess I'm just cynical when I see internet myths getting morphed into irrefutable fact, defended by all and sundry and creating a self perpetuation that is unstoppable.

Not an internet myth, the information came directly from the Australian distributor who have been told, by CZ, that there will be no more CZ550s. I did ask for clarification and was told the same thing by several of their staff, so I didn't just imagine it or picked it up from an internet myth. I also specifically asked if the magnum would be going, too, and was told yes.

It is interesting that several replies posted here, from CZ, contradict the info I was given and I also find it interesting that CZ have not replied to my inquiries made before I posted this info here (note: plural inquiries) nor have they answered several of my friends who also made inquiries on this subject.

Maybe the letter writing worked afterall???

CZ went a similar route with their rimfires. The .17hMR/22WMRs are now a switch barrel affair. I have three of the old 452s/453s and I prefer them to the new 455 model. The heavy, fluted barrels on the CZ 453 with single set triggers are a fantastic varmint gun and sadly, discontinued.

Well I don't think either one of my two sons want my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery (a little too much kick for the younger one and the older son's left handed). I do plan to take it to Africa at least a few times. So when I'm done hunting with it (which hopefully will be many years out) this is the first place I'll offer it :) It is my favorite rifle, the younger son will probably change his mind ...

Best Regards, maybe see you next year at SCI, I have to skip this one, work :(

Attachments

• IMG_0005-1.jpg
    IMG_0005-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 570TSX_105g_H4895.jpg
    570TSX_105g_H4895.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 149
  • P1000498.jpg
    P1000498.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 158
glad to hear they aren't dumping the controlled feed safari guns but it will be a great loss losing the medium calibers. I wonder if they are going to do the same with their small caliber guns? ive got a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and its easily one of my favorite guns!

-matt

Not an internet myth, the information came directly from the Australian distributor who have been told, by CZ, that there will be no more CZ550s. I did ask for clarification and was told the same thing by several of their staff, so I didn't just imagine it or picked it up from an internet myth. I also specifically asked if the magnum would be going, too, and was told yes.

It is interesting that several replies posted here, from CZ, contradict the info I was given and I also find it interesting that CZ have not replied to my inquiries made before I posted this info here (note: plural inquiries) nor have they answered several of my friends who also made inquiries on this subject.

Maybe the letter writing worked afterall???

Bob,

I think you will find that Winchester Australia have decided not to import the CZ550's anymore. They are dispersing incorrect information, no doubt to protect their sales of the new model. Slightly different from the total death of a rifle and what the factory tell us.

It is only the CZ550 American which will be discontinued in 2014. You can still buy a CZ550 in a euro model and the Magnums will be available, however you will need another,possibly boutique importer. I believe there is more than one operating in Oz.

Shame on Winchester Australia for not importing the CZ550's and also telling porkie pies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg