Help Me Pick My Lechwe Mount!

HuntingFreak

AH senior member
Joined
Oct 5, 2023
Messages
67
Reaction score
136
Location
Nebraska
Media
11
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
DSC, SCI, DU, NRA
Hunted
South Africa
The taxidermist called and it is time to pick out my shoulder mount! What are some of your favorite lechwe mounts? I am leaning towards a front on straight sneak pose.
IMG_6899.jpeg
IMG_6922.jpeg
 
Wall pedestal. A couple from the web.

Lechwe1.jpg

lechwe2.jpg


I only have photos of mine - which may have been a mistake. :rolleyes:
 
Going through the same process at the moment. I’m getting a sneak pose, like the attached and prob on wooden pedestal. Best of luck- copious options are mind-numbing!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9541.jpeg
    IMG_9541.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 85
Wall pedestal to show off any black on the upper leg and chest. Sneak is also good to mimic they run through the swamps and marshes.
Mine is a sneak shoulder mount and I regret not adding the wall pedestal form. Also wish I would’ve gone with full sneak and not just a sneak form as well.
 

Attachments

  • D9BCDC73-65D9-4D1E-BF7C-B8E41D255F07.jpeg
    D9BCDC73-65D9-4D1E-BF7C-B8E41D255F07.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
IMG_4261.jpeg

I agree the wall pedestal route. If you can show the shoulders you get more of the color which is nice. A sneak mount would be typical for a lechwe if you can find a nice form or a taxidermist to alter one for you to your desires-
 
Wall pedestal to show off any black on the upper leg and chest. Sneak is also good to mimic they run through the swamps and marshes.
Mine is a sneak shoulder mount and I regret not adding the wall pedestal form. Also wish I would’ve gone with full sneak and not just a sneak form as well.
That lechwe of yours is a stud! I remember commenting on it immediately when I saw him
 
1787682459337.png


This is a friend's mount. I would have asked for a bit more of the back to show on the mount.
 
The taxidermist called and it is time to pick out my shoulder mount! What are some of your favorite lechwe mounts? I am leaning towards a front on straight sneak pose. View attachment 787461View attachment 787462
congrats on a great trophy! because of the angle of the horns mount style is critical. What is the layout of the room ? A downward sneak position with a turn -shoulder mount can be an excellent way to showcase the unique curvature if the room allows . be sure to decide if best to have animal turning left or right. good luck
 
congrats on a great trophy! because of the angle of the horns mount style is critical. What is the layout of the room ? A downward sneak position with a turn -shoulder mount can be an excellent way to showcase the unique curvature if the room allows . be sure to decide if best to have animal turning left or right. good luck
Agree, lechwe and waterbuck need a turn to show off the forward flip of the horns IMO.
 
Going through the same process at the moment. I’m getting a sneak pose, like the attached and prob on wooden pedestal. Best of luck- copious options are mind-numbing!
I’m normally not big on sneak mounts but that’s beautiful.
 
1787736673760.png


From the Texas Taxidermy Show. It is unfinished, as it was mounted live at the Friday night event. I'm fairly certain it is a McKenzie form. I'll probably do something similar with mine next year.
 
My favorite pose is for sure a sneak. That’s what I always think of first when I think of a lechwe. I’m leaning towards the heavy sneak with a slight left turn. Going above my stairwell.
 
Resized_20260702_145037.jpeg

My taxidermist @outwestidaho has started getting my black, red and Kafue lechwes from Zambia mounted all together on a wooden log. Obviously not close to done here but you get the idea. Should be really cool when finished.
 
I think you are on right track. the sneaak with slight turn will really showcase the distinctive horn structure of lechwe. having a spot above stairwell is a huge asset.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,570,798
Members
169,022
Latest member
MichelSeri
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top