Heavy Rain in Namibia

At a stage, we were all thinking it will be a very bad season this year. The southern parts of Namibia had heavy rains and they have opened the Naute Dam's sluice-gates.

Central parts and the north can expect more rain in the coming week and so far had about an average of 55 mm.

It is just amazing to see how beautiful and green everything changes with just a little bit of rain.

 
Last edited:
Thankfully, Namibia has been getting some much needed rain since my last visit in 2019. We were there in 2018 under a severe drought and it was probably worse in 2019. It was a good year in 2020 and 2021. 2022 has started off well and that is great news. The land needs it, the wildlife needs it, and the people need it.
With this bountiful rain, the animals should rebound and in another year or two the quality of animals should really start showing.
The picture is from the back deck area of our PH's house, Pieter Delport, facing out across his property that I took in October of 2019. His place is just west of Gobabis, Namibia.
He sent me the video on 2-13-22 and he had shot it from the same spot on the back deck on 2-12-22.
Thank the LORD for the rain, the people over there are so grateful for it. Most people in the US, those that live in the wet areas, often complain of too much rain, but we are lucky to have the rainfall that we do here in the US. Every drop to to them is precious and they rejoice for every drop they receive.
backyard1.png

 
Are there practical ways in that the rainy season water is conserved for use in the dry season? Not my favorite state, but CA comes to mind (they actually take excess surface water and dump it back into underground aquifers, sometimes called spreading areas.) Other states do same on a smaller scale to ensure that desert wildlife (i.e. bighorn sheep) have adequate year-round water. Yes, it takes $ for that to happen, but...
 
Are there practical ways in that the rainy season water is conserved for use in the dry season? Not my favorite state, but CA comes to mind (they actually take excess surface water and dump it back into underground aquifers, sometimes called spreading areas.) Other states do same on a smaller scale to ensure that desert wildlife (i.e. bighorn sheep) have adequate year-round water. Yes, it takes $ for that to happen, but...
I haven't heard of that practice over there. I know I did see several man made "lakes" while I was there but all were either bone dry or close to it. It is a desert country and I do not know of it's underground water system.
I know here in South Texas they create dams around the openings to Edwards Aquifer in the recharge zone so that water from the runoff will be channeled down to the aquifer. Like filling up a bath tube but leaving the plug out, it rains, tub fills up, two days later it's dry as a bone, but the aquifer went up.
I know we waste a lot of water here in the states and don't give it a second thought. Having visited those areas I am much more aware of the water that I waste here at home and try to be a better steward of it.
 
Perhaps Africa's best friend China will be tackling such projects in the future. We saw their rice farms and highway repaving projects in-progress on past hunts in Namib.
 
I haven't heard of that practice over there. I know I did see several man made "lakes" while I was there but all were either bone dry or close to it. It is a desert country and I do not know of it's underground water system.
I know here in South Texas they create dams around the openings to Edwards Aquifer in the recharge zone so that water from the runoff will be channeled down to the aquifer. Like filling up a bath tube but leaving the plug out, it rains, tub fills up, two days later it's dry as a bone, but the aquifer went up.
I know we waste a lot of water here in the states and don't give it a second thought. Having visited those areas I am much more aware of the water that I waste here at home and try to be a better steward of it.
LV is the worst example of water wastage (but, NV is also the state that provides the water to the desert Bighorn Sheep.) No comparison in the amounts...I think 5 out of 6 rivers in AZ now run dry. Why is that? Lake Mead feeds the CO River (which "feeds" AZ, NV, and CA-but LV wastes unbelievable amounts of water!) hint: Overdevelopment. 'See it all the time at work. I do my job, leave, and they overdevelop the area for profit-only.
 
Neil Young has already cashed in on his old music. He should now focus on getting his hippie fan base on-board with proper, sustained use of water in his always-on-fire region of CA. lol Next, they can tackle sustained wildlife conservation...Only then will he reach Nirvana stage and come to Africa to hunt the Big 5!
 
Well, thank God. So the crakes will winter well in the Limpopo River valley. I have a young spaniel to train next year, and crake is the perfect subject for that. And oddly enough, they winter in south-east Africa.

It's nice to see there's another crake hunter on AH. We don't call them crakes - these are "sora" laid up on my favorite "bird" gun - a 20 gauge Browning BSS Sporter with IC/M barrels. Even this is a too much gun for these birds. I'm looking to set up a "rail" gun - either .410 or 28 gauge with some really open chokes. Look me up if you're ever in SC/US in October.

23729536768_1fbef578eb_c.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Swakop River at Swakopmund
View attachment 453293
That is a beautiful sight to see. When we get rain like that here in the states, the majority of people just bitch and moan about all the damage it causes and we can't wait for the water to recede. For the people of Africa, that is life itself flowing under that bridge. Something to be celebrated and cause rejoicing throughout the land.
 
What a blessing!
 
Is it no Colorado where it's illegal to collect rain water.those crakes are they about dove size and how do they taste .my wife's 28 Breda OU would be perfect.
 
Hail In Namibia 16 October 2022

That's what I'm talkin about! Just in time for Halloween! Ha! Ha! Ha!
 
That's crazy, but at least it will melt and the water will help replenish the land.
Where about was this film in Nimibia?
 
I forgot, didn't someone set up a solar-powered stereo of the coastal desert, playing Toto's "I've seen the rain in Africa" non-stop forever? IT WORKED, LOL
 
The hurricane presently dumping rain on Mexico is to lose some force crossing the mountains into Texas, but much needed rain is still forecast for Monday in Texas.
About time as I just finished seeding rye grass for winter graze for the horses.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,686
Members
169,825
Latest member
tyaumiu
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top