Hearing protection

JPbowhunter

AH elite
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
1,625
Media
50
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
6
Can anyone recommend ear plugs that only block out loud/sudden noises but not really interfere with normal level sounds? I know this type of thing exists I'm just not sure what they’re called.

I need to get something for stalking/tracking in the bush but don’t want the inference of standard plugs/muffs that prevent me from hearing sticks snapping, birds calling etc.

Any makes or models worth looking at is appreciated.

Thank you
 
I highly recommend Sound Gear products. My wife and I both use them and they are a very good product. Just returned from using them in Africa including a lot of spot and stalk hunting. Worked great.
 
I have a pair of these and they are 5 ⭐️, but they are ear muff style


I also recently purchased the Axil GS extreme 3.0, they are super comfortable, connect with Bluetooth (for music), I have only owned them for a month now, but would highly recommend them

 
I have a few pairs of the walkers Bluetooth ear plugs (Silencer 2.0 i think) and i have no complaints. Midway has them for $100 every now and then. Bluetooth works great, enhancement and dampening both work as intended. Hard to beat for the price
 
I also recently purchased the Axil GS extreme 3.0, they are super comfortable, connect with Bluetooth (for music), I have only owned them for a month now, but would highly recommend them
I second the axil and took them in June but was after plains game so just ran suppressed and didn’t use them.
 
I’m currently using TETRA Mulit-Pursuit electronic custom molded plugs. They work very well but are not cheap.

Ordered them while at SCI several years ago and the process was smooth. They test your hearing and discuss how you want to use them. Then make recommendations as to what will work best. Took a few weeks to show up but have provided faithful service since then.

Have used them for deer, turkey, waterfowl and hunting Africa.
 
I have been using Axil XCOR Pros for the last 12 mths. After buying some triple flange tips from Aliexpress I am very happy with their function and comfort.
They work exactly as you describe that you can hear normally or even enhansed but they always modulate the damaging sound levels like gun shots. They are quite economic to buy also as a bonus.
 
I’ve also used Sordin Supreme Pro-X electronic muffs for goose hunting in a field. They worked well offering true stereo sound. Meaning I could tell what direction the birds were coming from.

The cheap stuff from Wal-Mart sends the same signals to both ears making it impossible to determine where the noise is coming from.

My only complaint with these is the interference with the stock when mounting the shotgun. After a few attempts, I switched back to custom molded (non-electronic) plugs for the rest of the day. Not ideal, but no stock interference either.

If I were just calling and not shooting, it would have been fine. These would be an excellent option for an outfitter or guide. We also use them for pistol range sessions.
 
At SCI convention I was fitted for ESP Apex hearing protection, https://www.espamerica.com/products/esp-apex
ESP gives military and SCI show discounts.
  • Custom tuned to my hearing frequency loses
  • Block load noises like gunshots
  • Amplify very soft sounds
  • Block out wind noise
On my last hunt elephant in Zimbabwe my PH commented more than once he could hear my boot heals squishing with my every step. Me, until I received my ESPs, I could not hear any such thing. Then by turning up the amplification on the ESPs, it was “Oh my gosh, are my boots squishy!” FYI, the subject boots are from Go Ruck. These boots are outstanding for hiking and field work but perhaps not the best for pursuing game with ears bigger than a meter across!

These ESPs are not Bluetooth capable. I wish they were but I will settle for them doing what they were made for.

1791452869631.png
 
I have used Caldwell electronic muffs for years. Over ear muffs are better for a lot of shooting, the in ear plugs are better for occasional shooting/ lots of stalking. My Caldwell must be more than 10 years old. They have fallen off the truck but keep on working. Pretty cheap too.
 
Good post. I have been considering stepping up my earplug game. This is Africa was pushing Earmor products. I found the Earmor M300T that are over the ear with Bluetooth for 58 bucks. I don't know how good they are as they arrive today.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,409
Messages
1,575,311
Members
170,241
Latest member
tideroomsso1983
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top