Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
If you're in your 50s or older, do yourself a favor and get the pneumovax.

I'm in my second bout of pneumonia in 13 years, you can be sure I'll be getting my vax in the next couple weeks. This shit sucks.

I'm in my second bout of pneumonia in 13 years, you can be sure I'll be getting my vax in the next couple weeks. This shit sucks.
I'll second that. And while the old guy crowd is at it, sign up for the shingles shots as well.

I'll second that. And while the old guy crowd is at it, sign up for the shingles shots as well.
A person only needs to see a loved one go through the agony of having shingles before the get the jab themselves.

I got the single shot about 15 years ago and need to get the new one which is a double shot.

Are there different types of shots for pneumonia prevention? I have had pneumonia 2 times since getting the vaccine about 6 years ago. Perhaps there is a better one than whatever it was I took!

That's awful. IDK, @Just Gina - you're still in the biz, do you know?

That's awful. IDK, @Just Gina - you're still in the biz, do you know?
@sgt_zim
@Andrew62

Yes Sir. Even though I did retire from nursing, I still do all my work to keep my license.

I know the variations of the pneumococcal vax. I did not give many vaccines in the ICU.
The one we give to kids and the one you get as an adult. Neither completely prevents pneumonia. The adult one I am familiar with covers 23 strains if memory serves. It will not prevent pneumonia 100%.
The majority of my patients had the vaccine and a fair amount had pneumonia. I had pneumonia last year at deer season and I’ve had the vaccine.

I am so sorry you have pneumonia! I have had it a few times and it does suck and it HURTS! I’ll not give you the fluids, deep breathing, and moving around nursy lecture as a I am sure you already know that info. Please do take care of yourself so you recover soon!

It is my understanding that the vaccine is very effective in preventing bacterial pneumonia infections but provides little protection against viral forms.

Prayers for your quick recovery @sgt_zim.

Ive had pneumonia twice the last time I came down with it I was 1,100 miles from home goose hunting in Texas. I only hunted 1 of 3 days and drove home the 15 hrs. My wife took me straight to the hospital and I spent a week on oxygen, it was definitely a wake up call when the doctor asked if I had all of my affairs in order! I got a vaccine and other than seasonal allergies I haven’t been sick at all, this was in 2004. Get the vaccine!

completely agree with others assertions to get age appropriate pneumonia and shingles vaccines.

As to the type of pneumonia (discussing pneumococcal or bacterial pneumonia here) vaccine, the determination of when/whether an individual needs a pneumonia vaccine and, if so, which one they need is actually a modestly complex algorithm based on how old you are, what your chronic conditions are, and what pneumococcal vaccines you’ve received previously.

As such, don’t be surprised if your doc has to leave the room for a minute to review your circumstance in depth before providing you you their recommendation based on available medical evidence. Some folk’s situation is simple but others are quite complex.

Regarding the shingles vaccine, as others have said, there is a new one and it supercedes the old one with greater protection. Old is about 50% effective and new is about 90% effective. If you’ve seen shingles before you’ll see the value.

As red leg says, the pneumonia vaccines being discussed above are only for bacterial pneumonia. The only adult vaccines we currently have to prevent or lessen the severity of viral pneumonia are flu and covid.

Sgt zim we will be praying for your recovery

I started all of those "other" shots at early 60s. Am 70 now. There is always some type of add on shot when I get my flu shot. So far so good.

I haven't looked in a while, but as I recall, there are maybe 200K diagnosed cases of pneumonia in the US annually, and I believe the mortality rate is somewhere around 20%. For reference, small pox mortality rate is about 30%. Serious business.

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. Went to my doc yesterday (a masonic brother in the same lodge, a good friend), he listened to my lungs for about 2 seconds and said "Man, your lungs sound like shit!" Anyway, 2 grams of Rocephin (that's 2 injections) and 40 mg of solumedrol (another injection) and I'm feeling much better this morning. My lungs are no longer wet. And he sent me home with another 40 mg of solumedrol to inject myself. I've injected myself any number of times, but man, steroids are on a whole other level of things I do not like doing. It aches, like imagine Mike Tyson punching you in the shoulder, not the punch itself, but how it feels 5 seconds later.

This is what your lungs sound like through a stethoscope when you have pneumonia. Unless your hearing is bad, you can hear this sound coming from within your body without the aid of a stethoscope. More, you can feel the air bubbling through the infection gunch. If you feel/hear this, don't waste time, go to your doc or to the ER.

@sgt_zim
I gave you a funny response because I know how you feel. When I was in my 20s I would get it a couple of times a year. Worst part was I still had to drive a truck interstate and give myself 1,000,000 units of procane penicillin injections every 4 hours.
Had to have others unload as I just physically couldn't do it.

My boss was a right price. It was either do the job or get sacked. A couple of weeks later payback was wonderful when he got the flu and I worked his arse off. He couldn’t handle it snd got the message loud and clear.

Nowdays it's the flu vax, pneumo Vax and what ever other vaxes I need.
Highly recommended you do as you get older. A little jab is better than being laid up for a couple of weeks.
Bob

completely agree with others assertions to get age appropriate pneumonia and shingles vaccines.

As to the type of pneumonia (discussing pneumococcal or bacterial pneumonia here) vaccine, the determination of when/whether an individual needs a pneumonia vaccine and, if so, which one they need is actually a modestly complex algorithm based on how old you are, what your chronic conditions are, and what pneumococcal vaccines you’ve received previously.

As such, don’t be surprised if your doc has to leave the room for a minute to review your circumstance in depth before providing you you their recommendation based on available medical evidence. Some folk’s situation is simple but others are quite complex.

Regarding the shingles vaccine, as others have said, there is a new one and it supercedes the old one with greater protection. Old is about 50% effective and new is about 90% effective. If you’ve seen shingles before you’ll see the value.

As red leg says, the pneumonia vaccines being discussed above are only for bacterial pneumonia. The only adult vaccines we currently have to prevent or lessen the severity of viral pneumonia are flu and covid.

Sgt zim we will be praying for your recovery
I have had shingles and it is no fun. I initially thought I had tendonitis in my elbow and then I started breaking out. Even though I caught it early and started the anti-viral ASAP, I still needed some heavy duty pain killers in order to sleep the first few days.

I have had the original Zostervax and the first of two of Shingrix. I get the 2nd in a few months.

Pneumonia took my brother and nearly my wife too. It is not to be taken lightly. We get the vax regularly.
Add a colonoscopy to the old boy list. On the positive side you get a whole morning off work and lose a kg or two.

Rocephin and Levaquin FTW

1692553167489.png

90-94 yesterday.

Your O2 Sat is looking good esp. if it was down to 90. My wife did her Master’s project on O2 Sat so I learned some from her.
As long as I sat up in my chair, it was 94-95, if I slouched down a bit, it would creep down to 92-93, and if I lay down, it went to 90-91 pretty quickly. If you lie down, the liquid gunch can cover more surface area of lung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
009bar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.