Hawk Bullets

tarbe

AH legend
Joined
Jan 26, 2014
Messages
4,998
Reaction score
9,816
Location
Romance, MO
Media
121
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
As I search out all the options for bullets for the 404J, I came across 300, 350 and 400gr bullets by Hawk.

These bullets appear to be made along the same theory as the Barnes original...thick, soft copper jackets and pure lead cores.

Anyone have any personal experience with them, especially on game?

I think I'd like to whack a deer with a 300gr Hawk from the 404J!


Tim
 
I use them in my German .318's (8mm J). They are indeed a traditional SP. Though, I find them to have much more in common with the old Kynoch SPs than anything else.
 
I haven't used them but id assume they are fine for small and medium game. they appear to be standard cup and core bullets which work as long as deep penetration isn't needed.

-matt
 
Reviving an OLD thread.

Anybody else have experience with Hawk bullets, specifically in 404J? I'm in no rush, but heaven only knows when there are going to be A Frames available again. I'd think the 0.065" jackets would be stiff enough for cape buffalo. Field reports seem favorable, but I trust folks in AH more than random field reports.
 
I have not had any Hawk bullet (404J diameter) stay together in my shooting trap. As someone else recommended, small and medium game, yes. I would NOT ever trust them on a buff. Check North Fork SS with Reloading International. Think of them as a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw with a few enhancements.

Remember, they call Cape Buffalo, "Black Death". Do you really want to TRY to kill one??? Better question is would your PH allow it. Their life is on the line too if you wound one.

My bullet trap is a 1/2" dry magazine, 2×4, 5 water jugs, dry catalog of some kind and more water jugs just in case.
 
Fair enough. North Forks it is.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,671
Members
169,816
Latest member
sugarget
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top