AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, Canada, West Germany, Namibia, Romania, South Africa
Someone mentioned Hawk Bullets Inc. https://hawkbullets.com/ on another thread. I was unaware that this company existed, but apparently they manufacture jacketed bullets in a number of hard-to-source calibers. Given the recent fire at Woodleigh and the probability of scarcity for the near future, I am looking for an alternative which will allow target practice while shepherding my remaining Woodleighs for actual hunting. But not being familiar with Hawk, I am wondering whether their bullets are suitable for use in a pre-war .450-400 NE British double without damage to the rifling. I would appreciate any input that you might have based on your experience with the Hawks.

The other option would be Hornady, which do regulate in my rifle but at a loss of accuracy (the groups open up by about twice the size as with the Woodleighs).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.36.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.36.06 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.36.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.36.07 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.36.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.36.09 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
Hawkes are very soft--absolutely will not harm an older double, while engraving easily on the lands for better accuracy in most cases

Thank you, very good to know. I noticed that there are options for various jacket thickness (in this specific example, .025", .035", and .050" respectively). Which would be preferable for this application?

The jacket thickness you choose depends on what terminal ballistics you are going for. If you are wanting a bullets for light game, go with a thin jacket. If you are hunting heavier game, use a thicker jacket. The Hawk bullets hold together pretty well but they are not bonded. For heavy African game, I would recommend Woodleighs if you can find some. Their soft points won’t hurt your barrels.

Thanks, Wildcatter. I have a couple boxes of the Woodleigh softs and one box of the solids which I intend to conserve for a potential future safari, but am considering the Hawks as a possible alternative for target practice. Although I could use the Hawks for medium-sized game (deer). Perhaps the .035" jacket would be suitable?

I too hunted with .411 Woodleighs. but used the less expensive and more available .410 Hornady for practice. Which diameter bullet works best in your DR?

I think 0.035” jacket will be great for deer or elk sized game. I would want a bonded bullet for moose or eland. In your case, I would not use the Hornady DGX and DGS as they both have steel jacket that can be hard on older barrels.

Same goes for the Woodleigh solids as they use a steel jacket. I would consider cutting edge bullets for your solids if you need some. They make a 2-band brass solid specifically for older doubles. The ones on their website are all 4-band which is what I have for use with post war steel barrels.

CRS: I have only fired .410" from it, and they worked well (although it definitely preferred the Woodleighs). The previous owner had apparently slugged the barrel at .411" (the slugs conveyed to me with the rifle).

Wildcatter and Tgood1: thank you; that's good to know.

Well I finally got in contact with the good folks at Hawk bullets; it seems that they were closed for a bit due to illness. The owner recommended the .025" jacket for deer-sized soft-skin game, and we also added a box of .035" jacketed in case I decide to go after something a bit tougher. They didn't have any in stock, but I'm on the list for the next run that are made.

I will second the use of CEB Bullets not only as a bullets for older doubles but as a great performer in both their Raptor's and their Solids. I have a Gibbs DR 450NE made 1903 and have shot Hawks Woodleighs and now CEB's B&M rifles did a test using a strain gauge on a double rifle and the CEB bullets tested with the lowest pressures Woodliegh with the highest.

I would not worry about steel jackets too much. Steel can be made very soft an malleable, take baling wire for example. It will be softer than the barrel steel for sure.

I will second the use of CEB Bullets not only as a bullets for older doubles but as a great performer in both their Raptor's and their Solids.
Thank you Zephyr. Another bullet company of which I was unaware. Will have to check them out as another potential source.

FWIW: Hawk apparently had difficulties sourcing some of their raw materials (the dreaded "supply chain" again) but is cranking them out. I ordered some 300gr and 400gr bullets from them in February. It took just over 10 months to arrive, but arrive they did.

Now to develop some loads. The plan is to develop some lower-recoil practice loads with the 300's as well as reduced loads that can be used for deer and perhaps feral hogs.

I used the Hawks in a 577 BPE for giraffe in 2018. The jackets I used were .050 if my memory serves me. 650gr and they expanded to about twice their size and retained 83% of their weight. Would hunt with them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross