Have any of you ever been in a self-defence situation....

Not me drawing down but an ex-girlfriend on 2 potential perps. MId 1990's

We had been out at a music venue in NOLA, very famous for great performers. On the way home, we stopped in MId-City New Orleans at a gas station for cigarettes. Bullet-proof glass and all.

I parked right in front, stepped out to get the cigs, and 2 guys, obviously under the influence, approached me from left and right. I could see they were carrying.

The cashier, behind the bulletproof glass just laughed at me because I'm the only white guy around in a bad neighborhood at 2 AM.

The 2 guys surrounded me quickly and asked for money, with ill intent.
Suddenly I realized it was not a good idea to stop at this gas station.

Next thing my ex-girlfriend (who I just taught her to shoot a Colt 1911 45 ACP), rolled the window down, 1911 drawn, and said to the 2 perps, ("You want some of this M####er FU##er). The guys backed off and we left without incident.

Actually last trip to the Limpopo, headed back to Jburg, Ph and I stop at a small town 4 way stop after getting fuel, lots of walkers on foot and forgot to lock the doors after fuel and some dude jumps in the back seat of the Kia SUV. I don’t think he was expecting two big guys as the windows were tinted but he would not leave the car and the Ph pulled his carry pistol, pointed at him and said we don’t want to dig a hole today, guy bailed. Quite exciting and got my BP up and happened so fast. Ph said guy probably thought it was a man and woman with purse in the back seat was why he jumped in. Great story to end the hunt.

In regards to the original post, while employed as a police officer, I drew my weapon several times and was involved in one gunfight but I suspect you are looking for civilian answers. Yes all were deemed justified. I'm now retired.
+1, but no gunfight thankfully.

Love this film! But as to the question, I'm hearing crickets...
Whelp. I’ve never had to draw on another person or fire a weapon in anger (except at doves).

I’d like to attribute it to prudence but if I’m honest I’d say I’ve been lucky.

Had a guy try out his burglary skills at 2:30 in the morning. Met him at the front door with my GP100. Poor guy took off and ran out of a tied high top Nike. Police found it in front of my wife’s car. Lightened the mood considerably.

I was in the air force during the Indo-Pakistan war in 1971. And later, I was the Divisional Forest Officer of the Sundarbans until 1992. So we had to engage in more than a few fire fights with poachers, pirates and drug smugglers ( who used to smuggle heroin into the country through the Indian side of the Sundarbans ) during my posting in Khulna. Let’s just leave it at that.

Anybody who ACTUALLY had to take the lives of fellow human beings is definitely not going to want to share the details on social media for the whole world to see. No matter how justifiable the circumstances are. As a matter of fact, most of us don’t want to talk about it all. 90 % of the time, the people who gloat about things like their kill counts or kill techniques in public or on the internet … Never actually did any of those things. Killing members of your own species is an extremely ugly thing and ( while there are some justifiable scenarios which call for it and even deem it absolutely compulsory ) it is never something to brag about.
I agree. Whether these incidents happened during military or law enforcement careers, the gritty details shouldn't be shared on a public forum. Generalities, yes, but details no. Things have a way of being taken out of context. Share details with those privately who were in your respective career fields if you wish to. If the incident(s) happened in civilian life, by all means share what you are comfortable with. Just my 2 centavos.

Had a guy try out his burglary skills at 2:30 in the morning. Met him at the front door with my GP100. Poor guy took off and ran out of a tied high top Nike. Police found it in front of my wife’s car. Lightened the mood considerably.
Only once for me, while I lived in New Orleans. I had to dissuade four guys from stealing a car out of the parking lot of the building in which I was the assistant manager. No shots fired. Police came after only 20 minutes. (Crime was fairly common in the Big Easy in the late '60s; cops were very busy.) Once also for my daughter-in-law, when a couple of feral youngsters tried to break into her apartment when my son was in medical school. There's nothing like a short, pregnant, red-headed woman screaming obscenities and racking the pump on a Mossberg to make a fledgling bad-ass rethink his career plans.

well,

had a guy break into my truck to steal stuff, wife woke me up (it was about zero degrees out; in winter) so i jumped in truck, found the knuckleheads breaking into my neighbors car. i parked next to his car, so close he couldn't get into it.

i was wearing sleeping shorts and a jacket and was in a bad mood since it was 3 am. this robber comes running up like he wanted to do something, so i stuck my glock 23 in his face and threatened him with violence in a vulgar manner. his eyes bugged out, he whipped around and ran off!!

his cohort was still rifling thru the car, so i started up the driveway. he ran off thru the woods and i took a couple steps that way yelling i was gonna run him down and kill him in the trees. which was bs, too cold out! :)

moved my truck, shut off their car and broke off the key in the ignition. went back to the house, called the cops, told em nobody got shot and went back to bed. the wife says "how can you sleep?!!" i said, i have to work tomorrow morning!

no shots fired thankfully. would have like to have gotten ahold of one of them tho.

My daughter in laws stepfather caught two guys breaking into his truck and confronted them and yelled at them to stop. They ignored him, so he fired his handgun into the ground in the front yard and THAT got their attention and they ran/drove off. But, he got a ticket from the police for discharging his firearm in the city. He said it was worth it.

Only once for me, while I lived in New Orleans. I had to dissuade four guys from stealing a car out of the parking lot of the building in which I was the assistant manager. No shots fired. Police came after only 20 minutes. (Crime was fairly common in the Big Easy in the late '60s; cops were very busy.) Once also for my daughter-in-law, when a couple of feral youngsters tried to break into her apartment when my son was in medical school. There's nothing like a short, pregnant, red-headed woman screaming obscenities and racking the pump on a Mossberg to make a fledgling bad-ass rethink his career plans.
"feral youngsters"? I like that. I work security for a school district and I'll now be using that term to describe some of the "All Stars" I have to deal with. Thanks!

A problem with using a firearm to defend your self & others
is PTSD , my encounter was in 1969 in 1999 i fell apart . Lost
my job in 2003, i had become unemployable, i knew i had a problem much earlier than that . Thank god my wife stayed with me & my kids still talk to me
i have been very lucky. with the help of the DVA.

I live in South Africa, so yes. I’ve been shot once and stabbed in the upper arm, chest and face during two separate occasions.

I did what was necessary to defend my life and property during those encounters and a few others. I am with Hunter Habbib that the details doesn’t need to be shared on social media

If we had more "good guys" telling their stories, all of it, the nitty gritty as well, it may wake up those that have decided to bury their head in the sand.

It's tough, tough to tell, tough to read, tough to contemplate, tough to deal with the responsibility, but it's not easier to bury those that otherwise perish, we don't inspire greatness by hiding it under the rug.

If a person is legally clear in their case, it may benefit society and themselves far more than they know to tell their story.

There's a lot of "it won't happen to me" in this day and age, which leads to a lot of "the Gov't will take care of it," which leads to a lot of "you don't need that freedom anymore."

I believe legal firearm owners and defenders of other types would do well to stop backing down, stop the appeasement, I believe we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

But in that same boat, being a braggart isn't necessarily going to help either, would be of great value to employ some tact.

One shouldn't be ashamed of defending their life or the lives of others, and we shouldn't be asking them to hide in the shadows, and dang sure shouldn't be forcing them to.

I am not sure I would share any personal experiences if I had one on a public forum.
At least until the statute of limitations expires.

One of Putin's jokes: "The son says to his father: father, remember, we had an old dagger lying around. I changed it for a watch- look how good it is! The father looked and said: yes, the watch is just great. Only here's the thing: bandits will come to us, kill me, your mother, rape your sister... and what will you do? Will you tell them the exact time?

@Vashper ... As I read that - and this is of topic for the thread; apologies for that - all I could think is that's Biden dealing with Putin. Biden and his threat of sanctions... he's threatening to tell Putin the exact time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross