Has Anyone Here Hunted With One Of The Famous Professional Hunters?

I’ve hunted w Dirk. He is a gentleman and a true hunter. I am supposed to hunt with him again next year, but not sure if we will be able to meet in Zimbabwe due to the virus. I’m not old enough to have even crossed paths w Hemingway, but a friend did a million years ago when he was a young USMC officer. His ship docked at Gitmo, and my friend, who grew up to become a war correspondent, left his men and wandered through Havana to get to Hemingway’s house. He rang the bell at the gate and an old man came out to greet him. Papa no here, is all the man could say in English, and my friend, in his uniform, and a bit dejected, made his way back to to the ship. The next morning, he had breakfast with his guys. One of them said ”What was the name of that writer guy you wanted to meet?” Hemingway. ”he’s a helluva guy. He spent all night drinking with us.“ The Marines were at some nasty dockside bar where Hemingway had gone to forget himself for a while.

Hunted with Dirk a couple of times (maybe 3?). Agree he is a true gentlemen and outstanding PH. Quiet and unassuming personality, but listen when he speaks. His experience and knowledge of animals, hunting, and conservation is remarkable - as well as knowledge of other topics. Impeccable attention to detail and a great host for side trips.

Add Barry Duckworth and Roger Whittall to the list in Zim.
The Blackbeards in Botswana.
Paul Phelen in KZN South Africa.

“Famous”… hmmm? I’d call individuals like Bell, Selous and TR famous. Most others … eh. I’ve hunted with a few who I guess could be called famous :) But famous is a concept similar to defining the unconfined form of mercury or a bottle of fog. I also know or have known some truly famous, important people in this world. Some are still living. Some, no matter their profession or real importance are or were merely famous in their own mind. :)

Within the hunting community, the famous individuals in my mind are not PHs or guides/outfitters at all. Specifically three from Africa- two trackers and one game scout.

Last edited:
Add Barry Duckworth and Roger Whittall to the list in Zim.
The Blackbeards in Botswana.
Paul Phelen in KZN South Africa.

My son is dating their granddaughter
Does that make me a famous PH

The blackbeards granddaughter

Wasn't hunting but touring Mana Pools and got to ride around with Stretch Ferreira

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg