Has anyone had ammunition checked for weight?

Have you ever had ammunition weighed before boarding a commercial aircraft?

• Yes

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 59.0%

• Total voters
It was either departing JNB for the flight to JFK, or upon arrival at JFK. "They" somehow popped the gasket out of its grove on the Pelican case and could not close it back, so the case showed up with 2 of the 4 latches unlocked on one side and only the TSA lock keeping the case closed on that side. Good think I pack my rifles in soft cases inside the Pelican...
Sounds like you were very fortunate! You had the case locked with TSA locks?

Not that I am aware of....but I will say that it have arrived via Delta and Atlanta to Johannesburg to find that the ammo box had been removed from my checked bag and inspected. If it was weighed I didn’t know but I made sure I was under the 11 pounds!

Very rarely does anyone weigh ammo on the routes I’ve traveled. I always verbalize that I have an unloaded hunting rifle (we are not in the military it is NOT A WEAPON!) and less than 11 pounds of ammo in a locked container....
Now they even let you self certify your gun in unloaded and don’t even bother looking at it!
Philip

Not on either of my trips, Emirates and SAA....at least not when I checked in.

Not in 7 trips to Africa, 3 trips to Texas, 1 trip to New Mexico and 1 trip to Victoria Island.

Very rarely does anyone weigh ammo on the routes I’ve traveled. I always verbalize that I have an unloaded hunting rifle (we are not in the military it is NOT A WEAPON!) and less than 11 pounds of ammo in a locked container....
Now they even let you self certify your gun in unloaded and don’t even bother looking at it!
Philip
I agree with you, but you must remember, most airport employees would not know how to check a rifle to see if it were loaded.......Texas and Alaska may be exceptions!

I agree with you, but you must remember, most airport employees would not know how to check a rifle to see if it were loaded.......Texas and Alaska may be exceptions!
True

I absolutely make sure I'm well under the. 11 lbs... usually about half that. I have never had it weighed that I know of but occasionally have had it counted.

It was either departing JNB for the flight to JFK, or upon arrival at JFK. "They" somehow popped the gasket out of its grove on the Pelican case and could not close it back, so the case showed up with 2 of the 4 latches unlocked on one side and only the TSA lock keeping the case closed on that side. Good think I pack my rifles in soft cases inside the Pelican...
Aggravating!

I wonder if anyone has had the issue of the ammo being under the 11 pounds but not ammo and case? I usually try to keep ammo and case under the limit. As we all know the airport staff rarely have a clue about these things. I have learned the hard way that you must not forget to declare you have ammo in the bag. On a hunting trip to Austria my rifle never arrived but some days later the bags did. On a domestic flight in Austria on the way home, the ammo slipped my mind after not having my gun the whole time. The police came and took me in the back but deferred to the ticket agent that said all was fine. Wow a tense moment!

I wonder if anyone has had the issue of the ammo being under the 11 pounds but not ammo and case? I usually try to keep ammo and case under the limit.

On my way home from SA in 2017 I flew Air France from JNB to CDG to ATL. AirFrance weighed my ammo *and* case and said it had to be below the limit. I had to call my outfitter (who luckily hadn't left the parking garage) and give them a couple boxes of 375s to keep to get ammo and case under the limit.

I had my ammo weighed in the case on a KLM flight out of Kilimanjaro airport. I made sure I was under the 5kg. limit going over, I used a Pelican 1200 case and took 60 rounds of .375 loaded with 300 grain bullets.

I too had the concern of not knowing whether or not the ammo would be weighed in or out of the locked container or if at all. So I erred on the side of caution and bought a few sets of these aluminum boxes. They are sturdy, lockable and most importantly extremely light. 11 lbs of ammo in these boxes is a LOT of ammo even with the weight of the boxes included in the 11 lbs.

Trademark Tools 75-3789 3-Pc Aluminum Storage Box with Lockable Clasp and Handle
https://www.amazon.com/Trademark-To...id=1549557333&sr=8-4&keywords=trademark+tools

boxes-small.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.23.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.23.00 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
I too had the concern of not knowing whether or not the ammo would be weighed in or out of the locked container or if at all. So I erred on the side of caution and bought a few sets of these aluminum boxes. They are sturdy, lockable and most importantly extremely light. 11 lbs of ammo in these boxes is a LOT of ammo even with the weight of the boxes included in the 11 lbs.

Trademark Tools 75-3789 3-Pc Aluminum Storage Box with Lockable Clasp and Handle
https://www.amazon.com/Trademark-To...id=1549557333&sr=8-4&keywords=trademark+tools

View attachment 267405
These look interesting! Have you used them to Africa or interstate yet? If so, how'd they work?

Yes, both here in the States upon leaving, and in Port Elizabeth.

These look interesting! Have you used them to Africa or interstate yet? If so, how'd they work?
I have used the aluminum boxes for air travel to/from Africa and for air travel within the USA with no problems. I have not had my ammo weighed as far as I know. The hasps on the aluminum boxes take TSA luggage locks. Put something soft like socks in the can so the box of ammo won't rattle around. I have 2 sets of 3 boxes.

What tripped me up with ammo during travel to Africa was SAA suddenly deciding at check-in that I needed my ammo in its OWN piece of luggage all by itself. Solving that problem took some scrambling.

I also use a military style ammo can with a locking mechanism for travel by car in the USA (FOPA compliance) where weight is obviously not an issue. I guess you could also use the large ammo can for air travel but that box is heavy. The military lock kit was obtained here:

gunandsurplus Ammo Box Can Lock Hardware Kit .50 Cal, Fat 50,l 30 Cal, 20 mm, 40 mm
https://www.amazon.com/gunandsurplu...=8-3&keywords=gunandsurplus+Ammo+Box+Can+Lock

The boxes:
1 L-R .375 H&H 300 gr Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer, .375 H&H 270 gr SP, 300 Win Mag 180 gr CoreLokt PSP.
2-3 Nesting for storage, return trip empty
4-5 Military can with lock kit

IMG_3401s.jpg

IMG_3402s.jpg
IMG_3403s.jpg

IMG_3404s.jpg
IMG_3405s.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.32.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.32.17 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
In October by Emirates departing Chicago and on SAA connecting in J'burg and returning from PE.

What tripped me up with ammo during travel to Africa was SAA suddenly deciding at check-in that I needed my ammo in its OWN piece of luggage all by itself. Solving that problem took some scrambling

This is their standing policy. In my experience they apply it SYSTEMATICALLY on domestic flights within South Africa, and OCCASIONALLY on international flights.

As noted in another post, my recommendation is the MTM Survivor Dry Box (size large) (https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Survivor-Ring-Seal-Large/dp/B002KENWZY?th=1). Very sturdy; a steal at $15; and barely over 1 lb empty, including address tag and TSA lock:
MTM ammo box.jpg

For this application, I prefer the MTM to the Pelican 1200 (a probably better case) because the 1200 is more than twice as heavy: 2.65 lbs...

Yet it is big enough for up to about 100 rounds depending on calibers. Here with 58 rounds of .340 Wby and 34 rounds of .470 NE (10 lbs 15 oz INCLUDING box AND lock)

ammo.JPG

PS1: I absolutely love your little aluminum boxes. Than you for sharing. I will buy a set right now. I am not sure what I will use them for, but I am sure they will come handy...

PS2: the steel GI ammo can is definitely too heavy for air travel: around 3 lbs empty if memory serves... This could "rob" you of too much ammo on a longer safari with an extensive plains game list, and /or two rifles.

Last edited:
On our safari in May 2018, Qatar weighed both coming and going, and also required a separate lockable ammo box. Just FYI. KLM checked on my previous 3 or before that. Just weight.
Yes, KLM checked mine on the way to Tanzania in 2017.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross