Has anyone had ammunition checked for weight?

Have you ever had ammunition weighed before boarding a commercial aircraft?

• Yes

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 59.0%

• Total voters

Hogpatrol

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Has anyone had ammo checked for weight?

Out of 4 trips, once by Emirates on the way to S. Africa. On the way out I convinced the check in lady that it was weighed on inbound flight and assured it would now be lighter. She thought about it and smiled and decided against weighing.

No one else has ever bothered.

On our safari in May 2018, Qatar weighed both coming and going, and also required a separate lockable ammo box. Just FYI. KLM checked on my previous 3 or before that. Just weight.

three trips out through atl on Delta (twice starting in Columbia SC and once in Raleigh NC) and we have had nothing weighed.

Yes Emerites had me put mine on the scale

Not in three trips with Delta through Atlanta. It was opened and left unlocked from Atlanta to Denver on my last return trip.

On only one occasion did I have a discussion with counter staff.

Last edited:
Alaskan airlines have a weight limit for ammo if 50 lbs ....... could not believe it when I read it

Reactions: WAB
Alaskan airlines have a weight limit for ammo if 50 lbs ....... could not believe it when I read it

Yes that’s true for Domestic travel but International is still 11lbs on Alaska Air.

Yes, both times I have flown Emirates out of Seattle they have weighed my ammo.

Did they include your locked case in the weight?
No, they asked me to take the ammo boxes out of the Pelican case (locked with TSA locks) and place them on the scale.
Both times I’ve flown Emirates the same gentleman has helped me at the counter in Seattle. I wish I could remember his name! He has been great to deal with. Knows what he’s doing and extremely courteous. He has walked down to TSA with me both times, wanted to hear about my hunting plans, and made sure things went smoothly with TSA. Really good dude and excellent service. Makes me want to fly Emirates :)

No, they asked me to take the ammo boxes out of the Pelican case (locked with TSA locks) and place them on the scale.
Both times I’ve flown Emirates the same gentleman has helped me at the counter in Seattle. I wish I could remember his name! He has been great to deal with. Knows what he’s doing and extremely courteous. He has walked down to TSA with me both times, wanted to hear about my hunting plans, and made sure things went smoothly with TSA. Really good dude and excellent service. Makes me want to fly Emirates :)

I think I had the same gent two years ago there. Definitely a great first impression for Emirates.

Flew South African Airways via Jet Blue in the US (PHX - JFK - JNB - ELS). Not weighed to my knowledge but both ammo case and rifle case opened outside of my presence.

Flew South African Airways via Jet Blue in the US (PHX - JFK - JNB - ELS). Not weighed to my knowledge but both ammo case and rifle case opened outside of my presence.
Wow, that’s not very appealing. Any idea where the rifle case was opened?

It was either departing JNB for the flight to JFK, or upon arrival at JFK. "They" somehow popped the gasket out of its grove on the Pelican case and could not close it back, so the case showed up with 2 of the 4 latches unlocked on one side and only the TSA lock keeping the case closed on that side. Good think I pack my rifles in soft cases inside the Pelican...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg