Gun or caliber you’ve never owned but always wanted?

Von Gruff picked one of mine.:D WR in .318, that would be something. :whistle: Actually there are very few guns I want that I have not tried at least once.:rolleyes: When I get the itch, I scratch.:eek: I may only have something for a matter of weeks, but I find out if its something that really tickles me. Most don't:(, but how will you know if you don't try?:rolleyes:
I agree 100%.

My wife, however, does not understand this wisdom!

I agree 100%.

My wife, however, does not understand this wisdom!
No wife for over 20 years, so no problem there. My problem is my bank doesn't understand this wisdom!!!

Any beautiful German made double in 470 nitro.

I once owned a beautiful Westley Richards Mauser in 7x57. I got it for a song from the trunk of a car at a "meet me here" to buy it:eek: deal. Sounds fishyo_O but the seller was an older well dressed, and knowledgeable fellow. Paid $500 bucks for it, mid 1980's. It was gorgeous, classic in every way. I sold it a couple years later for $1000 which by todays standards is stupid:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: low, but at the time it seemed OK, doubled my money. Wish I still had it!:(:(

#1 would have to be a Rigby Big Game PH in 416 Rigby.
Although I would "settle" for a Mauser M98 or Heym Express Magnum Bolt Action in 416 Rigby.

Lastly is what I believe to be the most practical of the bunch (and the least expensive) (and the most likely to end up in my safe).
Dakota 76 Professional Hunter in 416 Rigby with EAW quick lock sight mounts.

Verney-carron double - probably a 470 but a 450/400 would be cool.

It would be a treat to see this wishlist of rifles in the one place at the one time but I would probably suffer a bit of sensory overload and have to keep going back again and again to take it all in.

I guess my holy grail gun would be a Westly Richards droplock in a suitable dangerous game caliber. In reality I like any quality firearm, a friend has a beautiful E.M. Reilly double .500 BPE in makers case that fits me like a glove, he offered it to me at a fair price and I should probably try to come up with the $$.

Almost forgot, I have always kept a lookout at the gun shows for a nice Lee Speed, haven't found one yet but one of these days....

Last edited:
.404 Jeffery
22-250 with 1:8 barrel twist
6mm-.284 in a LA
Henry Long Ranger in .338 Federal with 22” barrel
.264 WinMag with 1:8 barrel twist

I've got a hankering for a couple Winchester 1895's, one in 30-40 Krag, the other in 405.

An old hammer double in 450-400. Still kicking myself for buying some cool Winchester M70's instead of the double at the same show... LOP was a bit short so I passed... And kicking myself for holding out on a 577 double a few months back that I should have bought just for fun;)

And too many others:)
I have a Springfield 1898 30/40 Krag. First rifle I owned that was passed down from my grandfather. Great gun shoots very well but haven’t shot it for years. I would post pictures but I don’t have any at the time

Well I guess I’ll go big I would like a rising bite in 577 nitro express. But probably be a heym in the same caliber since I have to buy it myself

Not that I have any need for another big rifle, but a Heym 89B 500 NE would be nice.
Go figure that you would choose a nice little double in a mild caliber.
Never would have guessed.

A 280 Ackley - just about perfect for the Karoo and all our plains game.
Like this one?
263cy89.jpg

I just built this one with a Pierce Titanium receiver, M16 extractor, Douglas barrel, a custom stock that Marl Brown, Brown Precision, made for me in Kevlar, and a Jewell trigger. At 6lbs with scope it is easy to walk with, but has a sharp recoil.

Attachments

• 263cy89.jpg
    263cy89.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 179
A custom made 338-06.

I had a Rem 700 CDL re-barrelled to 338-06 this last year. It loves the 210 Nosler Partition on top of Ramshot Big Game. It’s going on a Plains Game hunt in June.

I would like:

A 404 Jeffery in a magazine rifle;
A 470 NE in a double rifle; and,
A 45-120 Shiloh Sharps Quigley

318 Westley Richards and a 35 Newton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg