Gun Insurance while traveling

rgsiii

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
At I don't insure my guns and rely on safes and security systems. So far I have just blown off insuring my guns on trips, I am reconsidering that. What insurances are available for firearms/accessories for trips both domestic and foreign? Does anyone have any experiences both positive and negative about various companies and their handling of claims?

Good morning. I have always insured our guns. Most homeowners' policies provide very limited coverage unless you are willing to pay high premiums. This is the company we have used for the past 12 years or so. We have been very pleased, and your firearms are covered for travel and shipping. They are at DSC every year.

www.gunandtrophy.com

Safe hunting

Eastern Insurance (Formerly the Hanover, now Gallagher) is the least expensive, most reliable coverage you can buy for fine guns.

Homeowners policies, typically have a premium of 2% of value per year as premium. And they want appraisals. And they argue about claims because they have no qualifications to verify the facts of a loss.

Inland Marine policies, typically 1% to 1.5% of value per year as premium.

Eastern Insurance, 0.33% of value per year as premium. $250 deductible. Policy is speciality for fine firearms. The policy pays for itself on its first shipment of a gun to a gunsmith versus paying shipping insurance UPS/FedEx. Guns need to be scheduled if their value exceeds $10,000, no appraisal required on most high end guns until you're in that $50k-$150k per item range. $160ish for $50k policy, $330 per year for $100k policy.

I've had two claims in 20 years, they paid fairly and promptly.

Exclusions: They won't pay for theft from an unlocked vehicle, that is the only policy exclusion I saw in my policy.

Thank you all! My wife and I were just discussing this. Although we have an alarm system and gun vault, the coverage from our homeowners on firearms is…quite lacking. I will certainly look into the companies mentioned.

Thanks again!

my home owners insurance company insured my last 2 hunts for a 2 week policy on 2 rifles and placed a value of 10,000.00 and the cost was only 18.00 for both. 100.00 deductible, but I had to have an appraisal done on them cost 25.00 for both

I use eastern insurance.

Lockton Affinity Outdoor, in Kansas City, Phone is 844-401-9444.

The thing to beware of is the less-than-total loss.

Your average homeowners and inland marine policy claims department does not understand fine art. They will argue you've suffered no covered loss under typical conditions. Let me give you examples:

1.) You have a fire. Your guns are in a safe. They smell and they are sooty, they want to pay $200 to have them fumigated. Um...no. Total loss. The heat has annealed them. The wood has been dried out due to excessive heat. The originality has been lost.

2.) Your double rifle was violently dropped by UPS, FedEx, or an airline. The rib has come loose. The cost to repair includes 1.) Re-regulation plus cost of ammo. 2.) Reblacking the barrels after braising the ribs. 3.) Sending it to London for reproof, all charges, plus cost of import/export licenses, plus a British gunsmith to process all the work, plus insurance coverage to-and-fro. 4.) Loss of value due to alteration and reproof.

3.) Your original custom or best gun has the stock cracked. 1.) Cost of new wood, $4000-$8000, 2.) plus 2 year wait to have it inletted and fitted for $4000-$12,000, 3.) Plus shipping/insurance/customs to process import/export, 4.) Plus loss of value now having a replacement stock.

Good luck trying to persuade some general purpose claims adjuster from your Allstate/Progressive/State Farm/Farmers agency that after spending $20,000 to repair your $15,000 gun, the gun is now worth $8000. Thus a total loss since the cost to cure and the loss in residual value exceeds the worth of the firearm.

Sold. Does Eastern Insurance cover loss or damage during travel. Or while overseas?

Not completely on topic but I have the following:
Last year I had a signed an insurance policy from 10/10/2022 till 9/10/2023. (Probably due to all the intermediaries) the insurance value was 51KEUR, for a fee of 1300 EUR/y.

I'm sure this can be done cheaper, so I found another intermediary who told me insuring 100KEUR for 300-400EUR/y should be entirely feasible. So I let him do his work, and he now comes back saying Hiscox refused my request... something to do with the policy I have via the other intermediary.
Is there anyone who is knowledgeable about how these insurance companies function who could explain how this works? And why they would refuse my file this time?

I have contacted Gallagher (they actually have an office in Belgium) but if they also work with Hiscox, it could be the same issue? Or am I doing something wrong?

I find this insurance business world very frustrating.

At I don't insure my guns and rely on safes and security systems. So far I have just blown off insuring my guns on trips, I am reconsidering that. What insurances are available for firearms/accessories for trips both domestic and foreign? Does anyone have any experiences both positive and negative about various companies and their handling of claims?
I don't think insurance is really justified most of the time. I routinely travel with $25K worth of guns and optics and have never bought insurance. I would recommend looking into the firearms insurance SCI offers. I have heard good things about it And think it is the most fitting product for our group.
Let us know what you decide to do. It will be interesting to follow.
Regards,
Philip

I don't think insurance is really justified most of the time. I routinely travel with $25K worth of guns and optics and have never bought insurance. I would recommend looking into the firearms insurance SCI offers. I have heard good things about it And think it is the most fitting product for our group.
Let us know what you decide to do. It will be interesting to follow.
Regards,
Philip

I used to use the SCI carrier. I switched to Eastern at roughly half the cost. Both are good products.

I used to use the SCI carrier. I switched to Eastern at roughly half the cost. Both are good products.
Thanks for the info! I need to look into it.

I’ve been thinking about doing this for years and keep putting it off. Appreciate all the info here. Wife and I will be looking at this over the weekend.

I have tried calling Eastern a few times last week and again this week with no reply. Went to SCI site and the cost is value X 0.0125 which I thing is a bit high. I will continue looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmosMacros

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.