Gun Case - Have I outsmarted myself?

Very neat and tidy.
@Ed Lally Is there enough cushion between the items in each layer?

Each Layer of 1.7# foam in the Pelican Air case is covered with a 6# "TopGuard" layer and is a bit more than 4 inches thick. The deepest cut in my design is 2.6 inches, leaving a minimum of 1.4 inches of foam between layers. The deepest cut in the upper layer for a stock or scope is 2 inches, leaving 2 inches of foam and a thick (3mm or 1/8") piece of PVC (the upper tray bottom) between the scope or stock in the upper tray and the lower scope and barrels. The lid is filled with 1.875 (1-7/8) inches of foam. If I were to order again, I would have ordered the lid foam to be the same density (1.7#) as the other foam instead of the lighter convoluted foam supplied standard. I have a properly sized piece of 1.7# foam which I will trim to fit the lid this weekend. Hope this helps.

As a guy who used to wander through dodgy bits of inner city Manchester and use public transport with a shotgun to go to the university clay shoots, it's my experience that people don't expect to see a firearm and therefore invariably don't see one.

If I saw that on a baggage cart as a casual observer, I'd think musical instrument, camera equipment, survey stuff etc etc.

The tag might give it away a bit, but people who can recognise what that tag means know what they're looking for anyway, so nothing you can do will fool them, and the average holiday maker wont think twice about it either way.

I wouldn't bother.

Al.
You have a good point. Hide in plain sight.

A couple of labels saying “Frozen Sperm Samples” should, I imagine, deter most thieves.
That would be a lot of juice.

As for wearing your hunting clothin, why not?

If all you plan to do is to hunt and you want to take the minimum amount of clothing over it makes sense. With laundry being done every day two or three sets of clothing is fine.
I have one set in my carryon backpack.

You have a good point. Hide in plain sight.

Indeed.

As an aside, and I appreciate that this is a niche case, if you do find yourself in a situation where you have a gun case in an area where you don't really wanna be and someone gives you hassle, I find a Bassoon is a good explanation.

There are a couple reasons for this.

1.) If they happen to know what an bassoon is, it's the correct size to be a valid explanation
2.) They're not likely to know what it is. People don't wanna look stupid, so if you say this and they don't know, they're more likely to drop the subject
3.) A bassoon, unlike say a guitar doesn't sound expensive and even if it is, it'd be hard to sell on, so again, it decreases peoples interest
4.) If they persist in questioning about it, you have an easy, if weak joke about it being the wind instrument for people trying to overcompensate for something. This'll move the conversation on, and if you can be in some way engaging to them, you're less likely to end up getting mugged for it.

I got asked a couple times over a 3 year period and this explanation never let me down.

Al.

So, after reading multiple threads regarding taking gun cases through hotel lobbies, anti-hunting employees at airports, etc.....I started thinking, which is normally counterproductive .

I recently acquired an Americase 2 Gun Case (special thanks to @CAustin for guidance). It is similar to the Tuff Pak from the standpoint that it doesn’t overtly appear to be a gun case. Not as discreet as the Tuff Pak, but doesn’t “scream” firearm.

One could further “disguise” this case with simple labels. I haven’t put them on, but the photo shows my concept. I have mixed feelings on this, as “pricey equipment” could perhaps be more of a theft target than a firearm (easier to sell?).

Therefore, asking the opinion of the Learned Experts here on the forum. Good or bad idea?

View attachment 312315
Something that might work better. Stencil on the sides of the case. "Caution - Coroners Tissue Samples." Maybe add a bio-hazard sticker. The bad guys might not want to mess with it. Even the baggage handlers might be careful.

My last day of hunting I ended up at a pretty ritzy hotel in East London. I walked into the lobby and to my room with my rifle in the soft case. No questions asked of me. Not sure I could do that in downtown Calgary.

Don't know about Calgary, buy you'd be fine in Whitehorse(y)

The foam inserts (2 layers + bottom filler and top of case filler) for my Pelican Air 1615 case came today. This case is at the exact limit of the dimensions allowed by the airline and is exactly the same as the case I pack my clothes in. Here are some pictures. The photos are not sharp as I lessened quality to fit through servers.

Unfortunately, as shown with Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, 3 Blaser barrels and three scopes, plus Krieghoff Classic Five & RMR (over 12#), plus tools and accessories, total weight = 55.5#.

My Safari Package is the Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, .458 Lott barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope and the Krieghoff, plus tools and accessories. Just under 50#.

If I was going for PG, I would take my regular Blaser stock (lighter than Safari Model), .300 WBY barrel and scope, .22-250 barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope, plus tools and accessories (less than 50#)!!!!

If you want more info, PM me.

That foam work is magnificent!

Don't know about Calgary, buy you'd be fine in Whitehorse(y)
last time I went to the big Calgary Easter gun show my wife and I were leaving the convention centre walking on a downtown sidewalk towards our parking lot while carrying three cased/boxed rifles under our arms. A guy rode up behind us on a bicycle and exclaimed "good for you guys! and to think I was a little nervous about going to work carrying my pocketknife!" ;-)

Yes, good idea to use the same, high density foam in the lids of cases like the standard Pelican. Normal airline, toss and slam handling can dislodge guns or parts from original locations in the case if not securely held down by straps and/or pinned down by lid pressure. Additionally, when inspector "Givaflip" does his/her thing with your case, hard to tell how the firearm it will be reset in the case. The cut-outs in the bottom part need to be well defined but NOT TOO DEEP so the lid foam will press firmly on the gun/parts to hold them securely in place when the lid is closed. And any heavy parts like bolts and separate barrels or barreled actions can also be strapped separately to the bottom.

IMO, it's best to be up front and
make it easy for them to ID all the contents and easy to inspect serial numbers. The idea is to minimize their handling, fumbling and frustration thereby reducing the potential for a mishap.

I seriously doubt any "behind the curtains" handler or inspector can't recognize what cases hold guns and what cases hold violins, trombones, medical supplies, golf clubs or hockey sticks... :) Matter of fact, the lame attempts at "camoflaging" the contents may just present a challenge to them. I think they have the advantage of experience of seeing thousands of examples, plus firearms MUST be declared upon check in anyway.

Last edited:
The foam inserts (2 layers + bottom filler and top of case filler) for my Pelican Air 1615 case came today. This case is at the exact limit of the dimensions allowed by the airline and is exactly the same as the case I pack my clothes in. Here are some pictures. The photos are not sharp as I lessened quality to fit through servers.

Unfortunately, as shown with Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, 3 Blaser barrels and three scopes, plus Krieghoff Classic Five & RMR (over 12#), plus tools and accessories, total weight = 55.5#.

My Safari Package is the Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, .458 Lott barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope and the Krieghoff, plus tools and accessories. Just under 50#.

If I was going for PG, I would take my regular Blaser stock (lighter than Safari Model), .300 WBY barrel and scope, .22-250 barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope, plus tools and accessories (less than 50#)!!!!

If you want more info, PM me.
botom-layer-foam-002-jpg.339496

bottom-layer-filled-002-jpg.339497
top-layer-foam-002-jpg.339498
top-layer-filled-002-jpg.339499
Ed
How did you get this foam custom cut for your guns?
Philip

Yes, good idea to use the same, high density foam in the lids of cases like the standard Pelican. Normal airline, toss and slam handling can dislodge guns or parts from original locations in the case if not securely held down by straps and/or pinned down by lid pressure. Additionally, when inspector "Givaflip" does his/her thing with your case, hard to tell how the firearm it will be reset in the case. The cut-outs in the bottom part need to be well defined but NOT TOO DEEP so the lid foam will press firmly on the gun/parts to hold them securely in place when the lid is closed. And any heavy parts like bolts and separate barrels or barreled actions can also be strapped separately to the bottom.

IMO, it's best to be up front and
make it easy for them to ID all the contents and easy to inspect serial numbers. The idea is to minimize their handling, fumbling and frustration thereby reducing the potential for a mishap.

I seriously doubt any "behind the curtains" handler or inspector can't recognize what cases hold guns and what cases hold violins, trombones, medical supplies, golf clubs or hockey sticks... :) Matter of fact, the lame attempts at "camoflaging" the contents may just present a challenge to them. I think they have the advantage of experience of seeing thousands of examples, plus firearms MUST be declared upon check in anyway.
That's all certainly true. Inspectors are going to inspect. But just maybe the "camouflage" will serve to discourage thieves.

Maybe?? And it may fool some less experienced or less sophisticated thieves outside the airport setting.

The thing I think of is how it would happen. Chances are, in airports where this discussion mostly focuses, the thieves within the system and inspectors alike all will know what is in these "disguised" cases. A thief is not likely to break open a case and haul off with an exposed firearm- too many "eyes". If in fact a theft happens from within an airport, seems like they would just grab the case and hide it temporarily in a dark corner or nondescript container, cardboard box or old bag somewhere in the system. Then maybe pass it off to an associate for later transport out- like in a food or cleaning services vehicle. Once away from the focus of the airport, pop the locks, open it up and discard the case. Just thinking out loud here :)

Old thread, and I appreciate everyone’s input. Decided to leave it as is...nice case, secure....you’ll never stop a dedicated thief anyways. Of course, I could use a “Wuhan Laboratories” label....

I would put a sticker of a storm trooper next to the laser sticker and call it good. That said I like stickers, I buy a flag sticker of the countries/states I fly through, sports teams and music groups, plus ones that are funny or important for other reasons-“911 never forget” for example. I’ve had some good conversations started because of the stickers and even in the NY airport, no one raised eyebrows about the gun case

Ed
How did you get this foam custom cut for your guns?
Philip
I deal with MyCaseBuilder.com. I make a careful pattern on 1" grid paper and have a surveyor friend enter the coordinates of each point into a AutoCAD file and send it to mycasebuilder. They sell foam and cases or just the foam. For one price, you get as many cuts as you want. Shipping is $8.99. The 2 layer foam for my Pelican Air 1615 case was $254 shipped. PM me for more info. Ed

I just picked up a used Tuffpak in an auction in anticipation of going to Africa in the next couple of years. I do like the idea of disguising the contents with stickers (even if the airlines screw that up with their own firearm stickers).

I was thinking about putting some golfing stickers such as USGA or the like on it. Alternatively, is there a cover that can go over the Tuffpak 1050 like you see for some golf bags? Or would the Tuffpak fit in the old US Army duffle bag?

It's been said on this forum and I agree - someone would much rather steal musical equipment, golf clubs, and other techy stuff than a gun bc its a quicker and easier flip for them. Disguising your gun works well at a hotel when you are traveling domestically by vehicle but imo not the way to go with an airport

It's been said on this forum and I agree - someone would much rather steal musical equipment, golf clubs, and other techy stuff than a gun bc its a quicker and easier flip for them. Disguising your gun works well at a hotel when you are traveling domestically by vehicle but imo not the way to go with an airport
I'm not sure of that with regard to thieves. I say that as someone who has had firearms stolen in a break-in.

From my discussions with law enforcement, firearms are like cash. A sheriff's deputy in charge of returning stolen goods told me when I had some of my guns returned that he knew of firearms that had switched hands a dozen times within 24 hours.

Of course, thieving airline or airport employees may be a different sort of thief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg