Gun Case - Have I outsmarted myself?

I didn't wear camo the whole time I was in Africa, but to each his own. LOL I've never felt the need to tell some "joker"
how he should dress.

I didn't wear camo the whole time I was in Africa, but to each his own. LOL I've never felt the need to tell some "joker"
how he should dress.
Well it’s not like putting on your hunting clothing and then taking a short drive out to the local woods or fields. It can take days to get to the hunting areas in Alaska or Africa so there isn’t a purpose for wearing hunting clothes yet. But yes, to each his own.

You could almost make your Gun Case disappear by wearing a Red Trump 2020 hat while you walk thru the airport

As for wearing your hunting clothin, why not?

If all you plan to do is to hunt and you want to take the minimum amount of clothing over it makes sense. With laundry being done every day two or three sets of clothing is fine.

In fairness those in camo at the airport, they are the guys who still have hunting clothes and boots after the airline loses their baggage.
If only you could wear your ammo!

IMO: I use a Tuffpak. It’s been on two safaris and other than some major scuffing is in good shape. I’m of the thought that you shouldn’t have any indicators about what’s in the case. I have added some yellow duct tape for quick identification.
I do like the golf bag case idea.

Does anyone honestly think the serious, experienced thieves don't know exactly what's in those cases? If they really don't, which I doubt, and are really interested, they can either pop it open and look or just grab the handle and haul off with the whole thing. :)

Is that a guitar in your case ?

That was the only question I was asked while traveling with my rifle.
guitar.jpg

Traveling around the world, I prefer to be discreet, so no camo whatsoever.

I do travel in tan/brown clothes and hiking shoes, so I can be hunting even if my suitcase does not show up in time.

Thanks BeeMaa, I agree. I am overly attentive to the packing details. I think you and @BRICKBURN have answered my question on “disguising”. I don’t know, maybe a magnetic sticker just for hotel lobbies might be a good idea...but I’ve never been questioned, even in “higher end” hotels...

My last day of hunting I ended up at a pretty ritzy hotel in East London. I walked into the lobby and to my room with my rifle in the soft case. No questions asked of me. Not sure I could do that in downtown Calgary.

When I was living in Germany, I was asked if I had a saxophone...nope, small electronic piano/keyboard. My loden wool clothes weren't a give away.
The TSA guys in Atlanta torqued my SKB double case closed with the foam divider insert sticking out the end about two inches. By the time, I saw what was happening, and yelled, they had cracked the end of the case. As for wearing the camo clothes, I don't normally do it, but have done it to save space in luggage and to make sure my boots got there with me.

I carry an old Pelican two gun case that’s been all over the world with me. I don’t worry about things I can’t control (for the most part)
I see all kinds of cases as I travel (and I study and take note of others choices and opinions) but I don’t see anything that would work better for me at this point. I may be using the smaller takedown sized Pelican case in the future with my Blaser and I suppose that would look less like a gun case.
Don’t over think it!
Philip

Thanks BeeMaa, I agree. I am overly attentive to the packing details. I think you and @BRICKBURN have answered my question on “disguising”. I don’t know, maybe a magnetic sticker just for hotel lobbies might be a good idea...but I’ve never been questioned, even in “higher end” hotels...
You won’t be.

My 2¢, It's a gun case and thieves will know it and know what's in it. Aside that, be prepared to pay oversize baggage charges in the amount of what it would cost you to buy a Pelican or SKB case. My observations are those aluminum cases get the hell beat out of them.
Agreed, but I’ve never paid overage for my two gun Pelican and been in quite a few trips.

Agreed, but I’ve never paid overage for my two gun Pelican and been in quite a few trips.
I've never been dinged for my SKB two gun but a friend who went with me and had one of the Americase aluminum jobs paid over $200 oversize charges on Air France to Joburg via Europe. The baggage goons also used the locking rod for a handle and bent it all to hell.

I suggest caution for those who think putting fake labels on a gun case is a good idea. In Canada, that is illegal. Such a firearm / case combination would be deemed carrying a "concealed weapon" and you would be at risk of arrest and criminal charges. This has been established not by specific Federal regulations but by the courts. I have no idea what police in other countries would do with a falsely labeled firearm case, but Canadian law requires a firearm to be transported in a suitable container, it does not have to be labeled as a firearm, but may not be intentionally falsely labelled. I took a suitcase - type SKB case on my recent trip to Namibia. It looks like a standard suitcase, holds two take down rifles, and the only thing identifying it as a rifle case was the security tag attached by the airline when it was declared and checked. It attracts no attention but tells no lies.

IMG_0623.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The foam inserts (2 layers + bottom filler and top of case filler) for my Pelican Air 1615 case came today. This case is at the exact limit of the dimensions allowed by the airline and is exactly the same as the case I pack my clothes in. Here are some pictures. The photos are not sharp as I lessened quality to fit through servers.

Unfortunately, as shown with Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, 3 Blaser barrels and three scopes, plus Krieghoff Classic Five & RMR (over 12#), plus tools and accessories, total weight = 55.5#.

My Safari Package is the Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, .458 Lott barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope and the Krieghoff, plus tools and accessories. Just under 50#.

If I was going for PG, I would take my regular Blaser stock (lighter than Safari Model), .300 WBY barrel and scope, .22-250 barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope, plus tools and accessories (less than 50#)!!!!

If you want more info, PM me.
botom-layer-foam-002-jpg.339496

bottom-layer-filled-002-jpg.339497
top-layer-foam-002-jpg.339498
top-layer-filled-002-jpg.339499

Attachments

• Botom Layer Foam (002).jpg
    Botom Layer Foam (002).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Bottom Layer Filled (002).jpg
    Bottom Layer Filled (002).jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Top Layer Foam (002).jpg
    Top Layer Foam (002).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Top Layer Filled (002).jpg
    Top Layer Filled (002).jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg