Guide gun frustration

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Well after waiting to get my 416 ruger guide gun and ammunition in it looks like i may be sending it back to ruger. When i try to chamber the 1st and 3rd round (rounds coming out of the right side of the magazine), as the round is making its way out of the magazine it kicks to the left and hangs up on the outside of the chamber, if i quickly run the bolt home it will chamber sometimes, others i have to retract the bolt fully then push it again. it is gouging the hell out of the brass and bullets. Ive heard of others having this issue as well so hopefully ruger will be able to fix it. Talk about getting the wind knocked out of my sail.. very disappointing.

Ouch! That is a disappointment for sure. The M77 mechanics built into that gun has been around a long time. I have the same gun as yours with no problems but it was a bit tight the first few rounds. I'm sure Ruger will fix the issue.

yeah, i'm not a happy camper. I've heard that the magazine/rail geometry is off in some of them. A lot of guys have said they sent their rifles in to Ruger and the issue had not been resolved so my hopes aren't too high. But i will give them a chance to make it right.

Last edited:
I got word back from ruger yesterday and they worked on the gun and are shipping it back to me. I sent it out Monday, talk about quick turnaround time! They said they adjusted the barrel, sights, and put in a new magazine box. The gun should be back in my hands Tuesday. Hopefully everything will be squared away, I'll post another update when it's back in my hands and function checked.

Glad to hear Ruger took care of the situation. Hopefully what they did solves the issue. Good luck to you, and happy shooting.

Good to hear!

I had a similar issue with my CZ550 and had to send it back. It was corrected and I love the rifle now, but when they said 6-8 weeks to get it back they meant 6-8 weeks!!!

The last time I sent a Ruger back it was because I literally shot it to pieces. They fixed it and reblued it for no charge , sent it back to me within a few days and enclosed with it was a letter of apology for my inconvenience. I could not believe it.

I love Ruger guns but sometimes customer service is a bit lacking I think. I sent a rifle back recently because I was having an obvious headspace issue on factory unfired brass. Once fired and sized brass goes bang every time. I sent it back and they put in another firing pin spring! Issue remains, despite my calling them and questioning them about the headspace. I suspect what is happening is that my lot of Prvi brass may be on the short side and the chamber may be a tad long while still within spec, and I know from previous experience with Ruger, that if something is "within spec", they don't feel compelled to do anything further. I hope your rifle comes back corrected. Keep us posted.

Voodooracer that is good yo hear. The folks at Ruger take pride in their work and are no doubt sorry this happened to you. I hope everything works out. Shoot straight!

Thanks for the support everyone, with the amount of work they said they did my hopes are high that it will be corrected. I will definitely keep you posted. I'm a big ruger fan and this is the first gun I've ever owned that I've had to send back so all in all I can't complain too much

I just got my guide gun back from ruger and it is functioning 100% like it should. i cycled several rounds through the rifle and it seems to be functioning like it should. hopefully this weekend i will have some time to take it out and shoot it. Ruger was awesome throughout the whole process and am very happy with how they handled things.

Good to hear!

Voodooracer it's good to hear that Ruger did what they said they would do. I took my Guide Gun in 416 to a new range Sunday afternoon and fired 10 rounds through it. I am happy to report that all was well and the VX6 Lupeold was still sighted in perfectly at 100 yards after the trip back from Africa and baggage claim in Atlanta. Fired three groups of three that were 1" groupings and my neighbor fired it one for fun. When you take yours to the range be ready for people to ask you what you have.

Glad to hear Ruger fixed the problem. I still love Ruger. They make a good gun!

If you are a hand-loader, or have several different types of factory ammo on hand, make sure it smoothly feeds different shaped projectiles.

I have a 9.3x62 built on a Mauser 98 that would feed round nose projectiles but was a bit "fiddly" when trying to magazine feed protected points or some of the flatter nosed solids. A little bit of feed ramp, follower and side rails modification was needed. All good now.

My new Win Model 70 SE in 416 Rem feeds everything and anything from mag to chamber like buttering a piece of toast. I hope that Ruger can get this sorted in future. I am seriously looking a one of their all stainless all weather models for wet season meat harvesting.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't like the muzzle brake that they(new M77) come out with. Thank godness they ( Ruger) know that there are still a few of us out there who like to feel the shot and don't wish to deafen innocent bystanders, and can screw the bloody thing off, and replace it with a thread cap.

Thanks everyone! That's great to hear CAustin, after taking my 375 h&h and 458 lott to the range i'm used to the questions and the "are you insane" look people give me when they look at the shells haha. You are very right Enysse, they do make great guns, I love Ruger's. drew416, i'm in the process of getting set up for reloading my big bores so hopefully soon i will be up and running. I am looking forward to trying some different types of 416 bullets in the ruger and see what i can squeeze out of it. I do like that it has the optional brake, for the range i will use the brake but when hunting it will be nowhere near the rifle haha.

So I just ordered a new Guide gun in 375 for my wife, she has one in 30-06 and had tried several guns but could not get comfortable with them. In fact the Savage Lady Hunter was about the worst for her. She was about to give up when the salesman brought out the Guide Gun and took out both stock spacers. Then after trying 2 or 3 scopes,, she was happy! And you know what they say about having Mama happy!

She is pretty deadly with that thing and has not used the brake so we are thinking that with the brake she should be able to handle it well in 375 Ruger.... And with hopes of doing a Lion hunt, she will need it. I think it should work well for her to keep practicing with the 06. If I understand it correctly, the guns should feel close to identical in fit and function and even bolt stroke... Does that sound correct to you guys?

I'm thankful for the info shared on here and it has inspired my confidence that if we get a problem gun, Ruger will sort it out.

I'll post other question re: scopes and ammo on other threads.

Bob

I wouldn't worry about the guide gun in 375 ruger, from what I know and have heard it's the rifles chambered in 416 that had issues. But regardless, if you have a problem, Ruger's customer service is top notch and will get you taken care of. I think with the brake on the rifle, your wife will be able to handle it, if the gun fits her well then that will help make recoil less noticeable in my opinion

I have always had the fewest problems cycling rounds through Ruger guns.

I think for the lion you could use reduced loads. Lions are thin skinned animals. If it was Cape buffalo or elephant then no. A really good aftermarket recoil pad helps.

The bolt distance is the same on both for the mist part. She should be fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg