GS Custom FN Solids on Elephant?

Frederik Badenhorst

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hi guys!!

Just want to get some advice about the performance of these bullets from people with first hand experience using them on elephants

I could not find a lot of reports on their use on Elephants ,I know they penetrate well in test mediums,but they do have a design feature that makes them deform/expand a bit to achieve stability and deeper penetration

In a article by Pierre van der Walt he does mention that they penetrate less in a dry medium and on Elephant sculls than conventional bullets but sufficiently so if driven above 2200FPS

Apparently they shine with body shots where the tissue density is different than in a elephant scull(Honeycomb)

I've been loading 450gr FN Solids to about 2100fps in my 450NE (Yes they regulate reasonable well)

Will that be reliable enough for a frontal brain shot?

Not familiar with this bullet. Sorry. I can tell you that the Hornady DGS will do the job every well.

So the North Fork Cup Point Solid is a similar design in that it purposely expands in a relatively limited fashion. In talking to the North Fork folks they recommend the Flat Point solid on elephant, not the Cup Point. It comes down to penetration I believe, and especially after hitting a really hard bone like a hip if need be. I ended up using the flat point based on this advice, but the cup would be a great choice for buffalo, and likely "ok" for elephant. On elephant though, most people want more than "ok.'

Here is a great article by Kevin Robertson and he suggests the same for Ele Bull. You might find it of interest.

http://kilimanjarorifles.com/press-kevin-robertson-article.html

If you have interest in the forums general opinion on DG bullet manufacturers should you choose to look at other choices please see the below thread.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/one-and-only-one-bullet-manufacturer-for-dangerous-game.39399/

Attachments

• Screenshot (141).png
    Screenshot (141).png
    521.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot (142).png
    Screenshot (142).png
    577.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot (143).png
    Screenshot (143).png
    719.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot (144).png
    Screenshot (144).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot (145).png
    Screenshot (145).png
    906.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot (146).png
    Screenshot (146).png
    593.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot (147).png
    Screenshot (147).png
    121.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot (148).png
    Screenshot (148).png
    100.8 KB · Views: 124
I have never been to Africa and probably never will but I use GS Customs bullets in two rifles soon to be 3.
But when I called them and talked to the owner he is very familiar with his products to the point that he described what bullets would do in my caliber size and game taken.
I would give him a call and ask him about your concerns for starters.
I know that some people will tell you anything to make the sale but he was dead on with his descriptions of bullet performance in the two rifles I load for.
Get a base line from him on what to expect then compare that to real world experience of others. He may be able to put you in contact with people who have used his products.
Shawn

I have never been to Africa and probably never will but I use GS Customs bullets in two rifles soon to be 3.
But when I called them and talked to the owner he is very familiar with his products to the point that he described what bullets would do in my caliber size and game taken.
I would give him a call and ask him about your concerns for starters.
I know that some people will tell you anything to make the sale but he was dead on with his descriptions of bullet performance in the two rifles I load for.
Get a base line from him on what to expect then compare that to real world experience of others. He may be able to put you in contact with people who have used his products.
Shawn

Yes, good idea. They have been most helpful and willing to share information every time I've talked to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!