Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.07.53 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.07.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.07.54 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.07.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.07.56 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 48
Can someone explain what’s going on with this one in regards to Halloways involvement? Looks like a lovely rifle at a pretty good price point…
I am not sure what you are asking. Hallowell sells guns. Many of them are older quality double rifles and shotguns. http://hallowellco.com/

With respect to this rifle, it obviously is restored. It’s value is dependent on its actual condition - not appearance. Is the solder still holding the barrels firmly? Is it on face.? Are all the springs functioning as they should? What is the condition of the rifling? etc. etc. Hallowell has a good reputation. I am sure they would attempt to answer any question a prospective buyer might have.

I am not sure what you are asking. Hallowell sells guns. Many of them are older quality double rifles and shotguns. http://hallowellco.com/

With respect to this rifle, it obviously is restored. It’s value is dependent on its actual condition - not appearance. Is the solder still holding the barrels firmly? Is it on face.? Are all the springs functioning as they should? What is the condition of the rifling? etc. etc. Hallowell has a good reputation. I am sure they would attempt to answer any question a prospective buyer might have.
I guess my question is the gun is stated as being made in 1904 by Manton. But the manufacturer is listed as Hallowell. It just seems like an odd way to list it coming from a dealer such as them.

I guess my question is the gun is stated as being made in 1904 by Manton. But the manufacturer is listed as Hallowell. It just seems like an odd way to list it coming from a dealer such as them.
It is apparently a Holloway & Naughton currently being sold by Hallowell & Co. Someone was confused by the online listing form. You can see that on the side of the action. I would assume the rib or perhaps the top of the right barrel is marked with Manton & Co., Calcutta who would have been the retailer.

It is apparently a Holloway & Naughton currently being sold by Hallowell & Co. Someone was confused by the online listing form. You can see that on the side of the action. I would assume the rib or perhaps the top of the right barrel is marked with Manton & Co., Calcutta who would have been the retailer.
Nope this is my bad. I saw Hallowxxx and read them both as Hallowell. Case closed!

How are they regarded as a rifle maker? Seems like all I see from a quick search are shotguns.

An auction in Australia, which includes a Westley Richards 'Explora' (12-bore paradox): lot 237, estimate A$12,000 - 14,000, and a howdah pistol (by Karabegof, whoever he was) in .577: lot 587, estimate A$2,600 - 3,000.

Those two attracted my attention, but amongst the usual dross of such auctions others may find something of interest. Seem to be a lot of pistols, about which I know nothing.

https://www.australianarmsauctions.com/

An auction in Australia, which includes a Westley Richards 'Explora' (12-bore paradox): lot 237, estimate A$12,000 - 14,000, and a howdah pistol (by Karabegof, whoever he was) in .577: lot 587, estimate A$2,600 - 3,000.

Those two attracted my attention, but amongst the usual dross of such auctions others may find something of interest. Seem to be a lot of pistols, about which I know nothing.

That Explora is a cool gun. Sounds like it has a couple of issues so buyer beware and aware;) But it could be a decent buy and really cool to own:)

Only downside on the Paradox gun is 12 Bore wont be much good on buff. Otherwise as a concept its awesome

Only downside on the Paradox gun is 12 Bore wont be much good on buff. Otherwise as a concept its awesome
Haven't some buffalo been taken with a 12 bore Paradox? I thought Tony Mackris did?

I can personally testify that WR's William Evans Paradox cousin is a superb choice for rolling warthog and creating a sizable pile of sand grouse from the same waterhole. :A Way To Go:

It is absolutely correct that the standard relatively soft Paradox loading is not ideal for thick skinned game. However Tony Makris killed a buffalo with one shot from his 20 bore WR Fauneta using a solid brass bullet turned and loaded by Ross Seyfried. Tony also took buffalo with his Explora and Super Explora using lead bullets.

I’m curious to better understand your point of view. I understand Tony Makris took a buffalo with a 20 gauge fauneta. And while lots of people have done lots of things that are not a best practice, would one really be undergunned with a ~730 grain Fosbury slug?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalindaDis

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.