Going to SA to hunt? Be prepared for power blackouts

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Jsst got back from a hunt in SA . Hunted in Limpopo. If you going to hunt there and are not aware, every day there are 2 to 3 rolling power blackouts. More of an irritation than anything. Just make sure you bring a flashlight with extra batteries and you might have trouble charging electronic items fully.

I went to Limpopo last August, same deal then. Definitely more of an irritation than anything else. I think it was out once because of an actual equipment failure too. TIA

Some venues are going solar with battery backup, probably a sign of things to come.

I have hunted in Limpopo with Quagga Safaris four times since 2018 including 2022. Eric Visser is prepared with generators during any power blackouts. No problems.

We hunted with Nick Bowker a year ago. Eastern Cape. Blackouts were common but he had solar and a generator. Never had a problem. You might get kicked off internet but a minute later Nick's system kicked in. Perfect.

I was hunting hippo at night in Mpumalanga province last September. In front of me was the highway to Mozambique, and the town of Matsulu.

It was strange to see as part of the town blacked out, after some some time lit up, and another part blacked out, and so on through the night.

Last April when we were in SA, rolling blackouts were well established. The times are planned out, so no real hardships through the outfitters. We made sure our electronic stuff was plugged to charge, and had spare energy cells. Evenings were always spent on a veranda enjoying the sunsets, breakfast ...sun up.

On my first safari in the Eastern Cape we only experienced blackouts a couple of times. Both times were while the skinners were taking care of the animals and both times were down on the southern coast. They were ready for it since they just donned headlamps and never missed a beat. Out outfitter that was about 50 miles north of Port Elizabeth never had a problem.

My hunt last June we had power all the time, again we were 50-70 miles north of Port Elizabeth, I'm pretty sure that they just depended on the local power supply. I never did hear a generator and I didn't see any solar panels.

Now when we visited Lesotho we were told that lights out was at 9 pm and not to expect them to come back on until 6 am the next morning. They were on a generator.

If you have a CPAP it is HIGHLY recommended to have a battery cell for it. Nothing like your machine shutting off at 0200.
For sure a reminder to take both of my batteries for my travel CPAP. I'm dead meat without. :(

I've never tried using it, but I also have the attachment that charges from a car's cigarette lighter plug.

I guess in a year or two RSA could be back in the Neanderthal era.

From what I have been hearing from my customers and friends who have been recently, many of the bigger, well-established outfitters have back-up generators, solar power or both.. So, the inconvenience is minimal if any at all..

For the others, look at the bright side, the rustic no-frills tent camp might be the more attractive option anyway...!

Yes it is getting bad there, but it is even worse in Zimbabwe. We have had load shedding for decades now. Recently power was out for 18 hrs a day in my suburb. Then a few nights ago thieves drained the oil from the area transformer and it blew up. No guessing when it will be fixed, last time they vandalised it it took the utility crowd 6 months to replace it. So now I am back to generator full time, costs about $1400 per month for fuel, not sustainable. So I am installing a full solar system and will go off grid forever.

By the way they put the oil in plastic packets which they sell in the township for 50 cents each, maybe $20 in revenue from the transformer that costs US$6000 to replace. This is Africa!

Yes it is getting bad there, but it is even worse in Zimbabwe. We have had load shedding for decades now. Recently power was out for 18 hrs a day in my suburb. Then a few nights ago thieves drained the oil from the area transformer and it blew up. No guessing when it will be fixed, last time they vandalised it it took the utility crowd 6 months to replace it. So now I am back to generator full time, costs about $1400 per month for fuel, not sustainable. So I am installing a full solar system and will go off grid forever.

By the way they put the oil in plastic packets which they sell in the township for 50 cents each, maybe $20 in revenue from the transformer that costs US$6000 to replace. This is Africa!
They use the oil for cooking, it is highly carcinogenic.

My first trip to RSA was in 2002 for business. Experienced my first rolling blackout on that trip...in the middle of a meeting at our HQ, in Jo'burg.

I have been there since, without blackouts on a few trips, but they seem to be quite common.

Common and more of a nuisance than anything else. Known as "load shedding." Locals and residents are not happy about it. For me it wasn't a big deal. Camp we were at had a big diesel generator that kicked on if the blackout lasted longer than a certain period of time.

They use the oil for cooking, it is highly carcinogenic.
Hmmm. I guess this problem will resolve itself. When I was there the second time my lodge owner told me the govt had passed a tax on solar panels ... but no one had the courage to try enforcing it.

I was in Limpopo SA in March this year, load shedding 3/4 times a day, but the Outfitter was set up with a good generator system so no major inconvenience. I would advise to ask your particular Outfitter their current situation if you're heading over soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you