Going suppressed....or maybe not

I contacted Hurricane Butterfly Research (a US-based company that specializes in firearms importing and exporting) and asked about taking suppressors to RSA. This is the response I got:

I do not recommend taking suppressors out of the country. Temporary export of firearms requires an ACE filing to be fully compliant. There is virtually no way to do this without hiring a freight forwarder. Yes, there is a CBP form can be used, but it's not preferred, as CBP regulations only allow for ACE.

Now... add State Department and/or ATF involvement, and you're asking for trouble.

State will not grant a temporary export license for live suppressors unless for demonstration to LE or Mil end users. That's a nonstarter.

Short answer: don't do it.
Sorry.

I applaud those who have taken suppressors out of the US and not gotten in trouble, but I think thus far they have just been lucky...

Did the agent say that was the law nationwide or just for Atlanta? I am flying through Texas both directions and was considering taking my can instead of my break this time. Wasn't sure what the procedure would be but if it is illegal to take it at all, then I wont even bother.
I was told one cannot take a suppressor out of the USA. Homeland Security told me it would be confiscated. How depressing. I am having one built in South African and leave it there till I return, hopefully. It costs me $200. I love hunting with my suppressor. I forgot how much my .300 WinMag recoil was without it.

I sent my PH the thread count and thread depth and the diameter of my barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottieStok

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.