Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance, Wild Sheep Foundation, NRA
Hunted
US, Namibia, Tanzania, South Africa
For my Namibia trip in August, I was planning to take a suppressor for my primary rifle. I checked with the PH and he confirmed no issues with suppressors in Namibia. Doesn't look like any issue transporting through RSA either. However.......

I'm connecting through JFK on the way out of the US. From what I can tell, suppressors are a no-no in NY. I think that means I am going unsuppressed.

If I am mis-interpreting the legalities of transporting a suppressor through NY, can someone point me to resources/documentation to validate that I can take the can with me?

You are fine to take a suppressor and there should be no problems. I will be taking one to Namibia as well next month. I took one last August to RSA and Namibia and not one person even looked at it! And it was on the gun.

"Should be" is the part I'm concerned about. No worries on the Africa side of it at all. It's just the NY part that has me concerned. Let's say, for example, that I miss my connection from NY to Jo'berg. I'm then stuck in NY with an illegal suppressor.

Or.... presumably on the outbound trip they should not open the case in NY because it already went through TSA. However, I can see them likely requiring me to open it when rechecking the bag after going through customs on the way back into the states. Then all it takes is one TSA agent with a bee in his bonnet to cause a world of trouble.

Is there a specific exception or something for transporting through NY?

There have been too many cases of people getting arrested just driving through NY, NJ, etc with guns that are not legal in that state. Doesn't seem like a risk willing to take. Foamies are cheap. Losing a career, legal bills, potential time in NY state prison....not cheap.

Clearly, the next time I book a trip I will avoid this jurisdiction entirely.

Could there be an issue if something were to arise in NY that caused a delay, missed connection, etc... Yes. There is that chance. Best bet is to reschedule a flight with only connecting in suppressor friendly states, or leave the suppressor at home.

Or you take a chance. I had a TSA agent at O'hare in Chicago talk to me for a minute or two on my rifle because he liked it, and he reasonably knew his stuff. I have no doubt he would have known a suppressor....but not sure if he would have done anything.

I think Id rather try to buy one over there for the hunt and bring a little more ammo to sight in and practice with it. I've heard there not too expensive there and can be easy to obtain.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I also sent a note to a friend in NY State Patrol that i trained with some last year; hoping he can tell me if there is any kind of exception etc. If not, I may investigate the 'buy one while I am there' plan.

I’d check with your PH to see if he has one that can work on your gun.

Just one more reason I avoid the Empire State as the Plague.

Yeah. That will be one of my future booking criteria!

Just as an FYI for folks.... I talked to an officer at NY Port Authority yesterday. She said that as long as you were there short-term and it was essentially in-transit through the airport there would be no issue, people do it all the time. But...she couldn't point me to any actual execution to the NY laws that allows for this. So best I can tell, the situation is going to depend on who is on duty that day and whether someone had an argument with their spouse that morning or got jelly donut on his shirt before work.

If I find any other info, I will post here. However, at this point, too many confirmed stories of people being cuffed and dragged out of the airport on felony charges. I say it's not worth the risk.

Next time I book airfare, I will be sure it's through a more welcoming jurisdiction.

I've been looking for an article but can't seem to find it.
It was about a hunter flying into Toronto but couldn't land due to weather and was diverted to (I believe) Buffalo.
When it landed, he was arrested for having a NY State banned firearm.
I can't remember the details, but it was a big deal at the time and I'll keep looking for the article.

In the meantime, you may want to consider leaving the suppressor at home.

I also found this, but I can not speak to the validity of the information.
https://newyorkcityguns.com/tsa-traveling-with-firearms/

One option is to buy one when you get there and give it to your PH when you leave. It isn't the cheapest option, but it is better than having to go through the whole process of replacing one in the US.

Have you given any consideration to taking a connecting flight through another city?

One option is to buy one when you get there and give it to your PH when you leave. It isn't the cheapest option, but it is better than having to go through the whole process of replacing one in the US.

Second this. Suppressors are substantially cheaper outside the USA.

Have you given any consideration to taking a connecting flight through another city?

Yes, but flight was booked a while back. Kind of thinking that cost of changing it and resulting other changes to travel plans (like likely having to overnight in Jo'berg if I take a different flight) make it not worth it.

Second this. Suppressors are substantially cheaper outside the USA.

I'm looking into this. Trouble with this option is finding one without wasting a day in Windhoek shopping. I'll probably just see if the PH has one that will fit; if not I'll go without. I don't usually hunt with one anyway, just thought it might be nicer for all involved!

I would not risk taking a can through NY, or any other state where NFA items are illegal.

If I were in your situation, I'd see if it's possible to purchase an appropriate suppressor over the internet from a retailer in the country where you will be hunting, and have it shipped to your PH so it is there for you to use when you arrive.

If you buy one overseas and try to bring it back, it could cause problems. Suppressors have to go through BATF paperwork and you have to register them and pay the tax. Usually takes about 6 months before you can get it. Some Customs yahoo might frown on one coming in without the requisite crossed Ts and dotted Is.

Bought one in ZA and left with ph will use it again next trip can’t have one in Canada at all. 14 - 1 thread
Govt supporting hearing aid companies in Canada I guess.

If you buy one overseas and try to bring it back, it could cause problems. Suppressors have to go through BATF paperwork and you have to register them and pay the tax. Usually takes about 6 months before you can get it. Some Customs yahoo might frown on one coming in without the requisite crossed Ts and dotted Is.

Agreed -- I think we are all thinking of busy there and then leave it, not try to bring it back to the US

Yes, absolutely... I should have clarified that point. If you purchase a suppressor overseas, leave it there, don't try to bring it back. I'd give it to my PH as a gift/tip at the end of the hunt, if it were me.

If you do end up buying a suppressor over there, I'd look at it as an opportunity to try out something that you can't get in the US. This, of course, assumes that the suppressor you use at home is direct-thread mounted; if it requires a proprietary muzzle device (YHM, Griffin, Surefire, etc) to mount on the gun, you will either have to go unsuppressed and shoot it with the brake/FH/ whatever the mount is, or remove the muzzle device to use a direct-thread suppressor from overseas.

In any case, make sure you check your zero to account for any point of impact shift and ensure the rifle still likes what you feed it with different muzzle devices. I have a 270 that shoots great with a suppressor, but groups open up if I shoot it with only the muzzle brake mount.

I just went to Dept of Homeland Security U.S. Customs and Border Protection in Atlanta Georgia yesterday. I need to get my Form 4457 signed so I can bring back my rifle to the US. I listed my rifle and my suppressor. Well I found out I cannot take a suppressor out of the country, they said it would have been ceased. I had to fill a new Form 4457 with my rifle only, they would not let me cross out the suppressor.

I just went to Dept of Homeland Security U.S. Customs and Border Protection in Atlanta Georgia yesterday. I need to get my Form 4457 signed so I can bring back my rifle to the US. I listed my rifle and my suppressor. Well I found out I cannot take a suppressor out of the country, they said it would have been ceased. I had to fill a new Form 4457 with my rifle only, they would not let me cross out the suppressor.
Did the agent say that was the law nationwide or just for Atlanta? I am flying through Texas both directions and was considering taking my can instead of my break this time. Wasn't sure what the procedure would be but if it is illegal to take it at all, then I wont even bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg