Going suppressed....or maybe not

I contacted Hurricane Butterfly Research (a US-based company that specializes in firearms importing and exporting) and asked about taking suppressors to RSA. This is the response I got:

I do not recommend taking suppressors out of the country. Temporary export of firearms requires an ACE filing to be fully compliant. There is virtually no way to do this without hiring a freight forwarder. Yes, there is a CBP form can be used, but it's not preferred, as CBP regulations only allow for ACE.

Now... add State Department and/or ATF involvement, and you're asking for trouble.

State will not grant a temporary export license for live suppressors unless for demonstration to LE or Mil end users. That's a nonstarter.

Short answer: don't do it.
Sorry.

I applaud those who have taken suppressors out of the US and not gotten in trouble, but I think thus far they have just been lucky...

Did the agent say that was the law nationwide or just for Atlanta? I am flying through Texas both directions and was considering taking my can instead of my break this time. Wasn't sure what the procedure would be but if it is illegal to take it at all, then I wont even bother.
I was told one cannot take a suppressor out of the USA. Homeland Security told me it would be confiscated. How depressing. I am having one built in South African and leave it there till I return, hopefully. It costs me $200. I love hunting with my suppressor. I forgot how much my .300 WinMag recoil was without it.

I sent my PH the thread count and thread depth and the diameter of my barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!