Going deaf...opinions, experiences

My son has been watching, like any seven year old does. He won't come to me at the mower most times without finding muffs first.

I once let a chiropractor attempt a couple different therapies that work on other nerve problems. He targeted the hearing bits from the acupuncture world. Several weeks later, still not better so we stopped.

I'd say we're stuck with it. I'm with those above in not hearing voices amongst crowds, yet sometimes I can hear emergency sirens miles away, it seems. Annoying sounds others tune out usually chute right thru me. I guess we all get variations...

If you're in the States, you can by meclazine over the counter. It's label use is motion sickness. However, it affects the tiny arteries around the auditory nerve by dilation. Riding my motorcycle would cause a harsh vibration, like pebbles on an old come speaker in the dash of a 70s truck, but that med turned it off. My mind couldn't figure out why the sound was different! First try I was confused for half an hour driving to work because the noise and discomfort were just gone
 
Go to doctor.
Electric earmuffs are probably in your future for all future hunting.
 
This all sounds familiar... or well it reads familiar!

Responding to the original post, once the tinnitus is present, I dont think it will ever subside. Occasional shooting or loud noise may make it temporarily worse and then return to "normal" but it will never get better.

My wife was complaining about the ceiling fan in the room at the lake, I couldn't hear it until i turned over!
I then explained to her that the tinnitus is louder in my left ear than the squeaks of the fan...
Needless to say, as a doctor, she shouted at me... which was good, as I could then hear what she was saying!
I believe that. My tinnitus has never gotten better and now it is worse. Also none of the natural remedies touted seemed to help any...I have not tried many there at least couple.
 
Go to doctor.
Electric earmuffs are probably in your future for all future hunting.
Have been to two. One at least tried some basic tests with a tuning fork type device. There is indeed some trauma to the right ear. My hearing test is coming up next week. Then we will see. I already do use electronic ear-muffs. I stopped using them at the range as I thought maybe they were not reacting fast enough and my ear seemed to hurt unlike with regular muffs. But for Hunting I think they should be OK.

Thanks for all the info. Especially remedies tried. Maybe something will work though I'm not very hopeful at this stage. Acupuncture did not work for me last time either.
 
OK. So far I have been diagnosed with mild hearing loss in low frequencies and moderate to severe in high frequencies. Some trauma of the inner ear. My ear still feels plugged even after being on pills for 10 days now, there was some relief initially but then it came back next day. Now I feel like my head is in an empty trash can all the time. I definitely cannot hear soft rustling sounds (which sucks for hunting). Also music or speech does not come to me in stereo anymore. Not to mention the now much stronger tinnitus. Arghh! Wait for the specialist is many weeks...I feel like our medicare is no better than medieval times, when it comes to "caring" for patients. The machines and science may be better but the way patients are treated...

Oh well, hunting season is still on, so I do get distracted a bit but the hunts now suck a bit a due to the ear issues. Still, "bad day hunting ..."
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,337
Messages
1,573,254
Members
169,728
Latest member
AundreaDia
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top