Glorious Twelfth

RockSlinger404

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Morning AH Members,

Did anyone here have the opportunity to spend the Glorious Twelfth in a grouse butt?

I have only hunted red grouse once (during 2019) and it was a walked up shoot. I have to say that it was one of the best experiences in my life, just thinking of it still puts a smile on my face.

I have not yet had the good fortune to hunt grouse. But I've hunted deer many times in the Scottish highlands, so I can imagine a bit how a grouse hunt must be. If you have any pictures to share, I'd love to see them.

I got invited to one in Scotland when I was studying "Environmental Science" in the University of London in 1965. It was good fun. I was provided a very beautiful 12 gauge (2.5") James Purdey & Sons sidelock ejector (left barrel=modified choke, right barrel=improved cylinder choke) by my gracious host (one of a matched pair; with him taking the other). It (loaded with paper cased Purdey 32Grm #5) accounted for over 3 dozen driven grouse.

I have been to 4 more driven grouse shoots, over the years. Will share photos of those shoots too, as soon as I can locate the appropriate albums in my study. I also have a very nice photo of father & I at the James Purdey & Sons gun shop in London in 1976.
FB_IMG_1692000705547_01.jpg

Walked up grouse over pointers in Scotland is a great experience. I have been lucky enough to hunt with some friends who have the sporting rights to a few thousand acres near Killen. Nowadays it’s an eye watering £100 plus tax a brace.
My host always provided me with a shotgun. I don’t remember what they were,how they were choked or what cartridges I used.

DSCF5042.jpeg
DSCF5041.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abferrell60

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.