Giraffe with Low Ceilings

migrabill

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Joined
Mar 14, 2023
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
3,328
Location
Abingdon, MD USA
Media
35
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Mex/S.Amer
1
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. Argentina. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
Considering a giraffe on my next safari but the ceilings in my trophy room are only 9'6". Is there a way to make a giraffe mount look decent in that short of a room? I know one solution would just be to shoot a smaller giraffe, but would the giraffe be too small to shoot if he had to fit within that room?
 
9’6” is plenty for any standard giraffe mount. I have a floor shoulder mount. A floor neck mount is a little shorter. I will say giraffe is an animal a really regret mounting. I’d have really rather put the money towards more hunting. A tanned flat skin and carved leg bones is plenty.
 
I know one member who had his 16-person dining room chair seats and seat backs done with his giraffe and had enough leftover for a full room rug.

Obviously not a standing mount, but it’s an option.
 
A good taxidermist can take height out of the giraffe by curving/twisting the neck or changing the angle of it, even on a standard floor mount or floor pedestal mount.
 
When I first read this, I was thinking about giraffe hunting with their heads in the clouds. Can't shake that pilot mindset.
 
images (44).jpeg

Lol easy solution...

I would say see if theres other things you want to make it into or alternative mounting options.
 
Not really answering your question but I saw this today. I shot a really large giraffe a few years ago and left it for the lodge. It looks great there and I have a very large backskin and really good photos. Image.jpeg
 
Giraffe are one of those animals that really seem to polarize the viewer. It's either stunning or a regret. One of the classiest mounts is a simple Euro that can be put into a coffee table or something like that. A giraffe euro is huge and you will get a lot of questions/comments on it. Non-hunters won't know what it is most of the time.
 
Not really answering your question but I saw this today. I shot a really large giraffe a few years ago and left it for the lodge. It looks great there and I have a very large backskin and really good photos. View attachment 762651
I saw that as well. And I love that style mount for other types of animals. Not so much on a giraffe…
 
Considering a giraffe on my next safari but the ceilings in my trophy room are only 9'6". Is there a way to make a giraffe mount look decent in that short of a room? I know one solution would just be to shoot a smaller giraffe, but would the giraffe be too small to shoot if he had to fit within that room?
I’m wanting your problems.
 
I had my giraffe mounted with just 4’ of the neck, it looked good in my room that was also 9’6” tall. If I can find a pic of it I’ll send it to you. I sold about 1/3 of my mounts last year and that was one of them.
 
I saw a mount where the neck came out of a fake rock, it looked fantastic. I think it would have fit a 9 foot ceiling.
 
LOL.....I'm not sure if it was posted on AH or if I found while looking for giraffe mounts on Google.

The giraffe was a wall shoulder mount. Its neck seemly gave a natural bend and curvature as if it was rubbing its leg or raising up from feeding on tall grass. The head was turned right inward toward the couch/ davenport as if looking at anyone or everyone sitting on the couch.

It looked like the shoulders on the wall were about a 18 to 24 inches above the head.
 
In order for that to help me, I would need to know how high your ceilings are!
I can tell you that the top of a floor mount is exactly like 9’6”
So the lower rim in this shot is like 9’6” and goes higher
My old house trophy room had “10’ “ ceilings…well with flooring and drywall etc the true height was either 9’6 or maybe 9’7” max I believe.
You can do it, but tell the taxidermist…they would need to shave the form down just slightly.
The top of head will go right to the very ceiling.
 
I have the same ceiling heights. Just floor mount to fit the room. Wall mounting a giraffe in a 9' ceiling room requires a low wall mount..... One lodge I was at had a low wall mount with floor mounted greenery that made the giraffe appear like it cleared its head and some of the neck from the bushes. It actually looked nice but don't know the cost.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,162
Members
169,501
Latest member
AnjaAguiar
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top