Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
Well, it was a bit of a long process getting this giraffe flat skin tanned and home but 2 1/2 years later it finally made it and it looks awesome. It Measures 15'x12' and should look great in our Africa room!

14358993_10155039218295400_4557474362646877364_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@sheephunterab : Care to share some details regarding cost? I'm strongly contemplating taking a giraffe on an upcoming RSA hunt for the purpose of a flatskin in my den. I'd be interested in the price of tanning, any additional 'special' charges, and the shipping/crating expense.

Thanks!

It looks great sir!

The taxidermist in Namibia had originally told us he would do it for us for around $1100 I believe but then after I shot it, only a week later, he told me that he wouldn't do it. After some searching, we found a tannery in SA, Bullseye Taxidermy, that would do for right around $900. It seems they are one of a very few if not the only one that will tan a full giraffe flat skin. So, to have it shipped there and then back to Namibia and then to Canada was another $900. That process took over 2 years but my only other option was to have the salted hide shipped to a tannery in Michigan I believe it is....again the only place in North America we could find that would touch a full flat skin and they wanted $5,000 just for the tanning. Despite the waiting, it all turned out great and in the end the price was right.

Heck yeah!!!! Looks great

Looks great thanks for sharing. Forrest

How far/much did they thin the hide?

If your going to be in RSA on the East Cape the taxidermist who did my backskin did a great job. I had shoulder mount and backskin. right at 1 yr turn around . His price on a flat skin is $1600. His contact info is Lauriston Taxidermy
gregdickson02@gmail.com .
I went in April of this year and stuff is almost ready to ship he does excellent work. my .02

This skin looks to have been done very well. I would rather have it right than fast. It will look great in the Africa room.

Congrats, thank for the information, I'll keep it in mind for the future!

I had no idea you could get it tanned for that cheap! Dang. Giraffe is now on the list for my hunt next year! Glad I read this. Your flat skin looks awesome!

I just looked at my invoice from the hunt I just took to S. Africa and all my stuff is at Bulls eye! Should have shot a giraffe!!

Good excuse to go back! I really like the flat skin. It's a great reminder of an incredible hunt. I always wanted to take a free-range giraffe in the desert and I couldn't think of a better way to honor it!

AWESOME! Didn't think I was interested in a giraffe, but between yours and a friend who is having leg bones carved and scrimshawed, I think it's going on my list.

I had the skull sent home as well...it's pretty cool.

My friend had the neck made into a gun case.
If you removed the neck, I assume it would be close to 10'x12'? That would pretty much fill any room I have with a little furniture to fill in. Awesome!

OK my jealous button went off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieHowe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.