Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
My oldest son (Art Lambart II) his son Trip (13) and I are headed to the East Cape for the first 10 days of July. Trip and I will be hunting Planes Game, Art II is going after his first Dangerous Game animal, i.e. a Cape Buffalo. The East Cape's shooting distances has me worried / concerned to say the least. I've been hunting Whitetails in the Michigan woods for 66 years, where a long shot is a hundred yards. Most times, it isn't even that. I had to "root" through the safes to find something that had a little "legs" on it. I settled on a 308 Norma Magnum that I purchased a few years back for just such an occasion. For my second rifle, I chose the oldest 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser that I own. It is from the first "tranche" of Swedes that were actually built at the Mauser factory in Obendorf, Germany in 1896. I went to the range yesterday for what I thought was going to be the last time prior to getting my CBP 4457 Form signed. Do any of you of you remember Murphy's Law? "If something can go wrong it will." My first 2 shots with the 308 Norma Mag. were on call, after that, I was lucky if they were on paper. So, I grabbed my Swede to make sure it was still up for the hunt. See the results below. When I got home, I pulled the Leupold off the Norma Mag and tried to install a new Nikon 3-9 ProStaff that I had sitting on the shelf. Wouldn't you know it, two of the eight "ring" screws were jacked up, so I had to replace the rings as well. So earlier today it was back to the range. Results were much better.
Six shots from my 128 year old Swede:
IMG_2195 (002).jpg

Four shots from my 308 Norma Magnum:

IMG_2194 (002).jpg

Good old Murphey, what would we do without him.

On the shot distance, just talk to your PH about what you are comfortable with.

Most of my shots a couple years ago were under 150 yards, and the ones that were stretching out there didn't have to of been taken. But I hunt here in the west where a 400 yard shot is quite common and I'm comfortable taking them.

My oldest son (Art Lambart II) his son Trip (13) and I are headed to the East Cape for the first 10 days of July. Trip and I will be hunting Planes Game, Art II is going after his first Dangerous Game animal, i.e. a Cape Buffalo. The East Cape's shooting distances has me worried / concerned to say the least. I've been hunting Whitetails in the Michigan woods for 66 years, where a long shot is a hundred yards. Most times, it isn't even that. I had to "root" through the safes to find something that had a little "legs" on it. I settled on a 308 Norma Magnum that I purchased a few years back for just such an occasion. For my second rifle, I chose the oldest 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser that I own. It is from the first "tranche" of Swedes that were actually built at the Mauser factory in Obendorf, Germany in 1896. I went to the range yesterday for what I thought was going to be the last time prior to getting my CBP 4457 Form signed. Do any of you of you remember Murphy's Law? "If something can go wrong it will." My first 2 shots with the 308 Norma Mag. were on call, after that, I was lucky if they were on paper. So, I grabbed my Swede to make sure it was still up for the hunt. See the results below. When I got home, I pulled the Leupold off the Norma Mag and tried to install a new Nikon 3-9 ProStaff that I had sitting on the shelf. Wouldn't you know it, two of the eight "ring" screws were jacked up, so I had to replace the rings as well. So earlier today it was back to the range. Results were much better.
Six shots from my 128 year old Swede:
View attachment 605053

Four shots from my 308 Norma Magnum:

View attachment 605054
@Shootist43
Art
And what's wrong with your Whelen mate. It worked last time at any distance so it will work again. Why play around with the others when you have a perfectly good Whelen.
Just get around to loading up some 250s for yourself with the load data I gave you .
Load some of those nice hydro's I sent you for the young fella and his buffalo and go have fun.
Easy as, stick with what you know.
Bob

@Shootist43

All the best to you & the boys. I know that you'll be extremely successful. I myself will be headed to Zambia in 2025 for lion & plains game with my granddaughter. As you probably remember, last year I'd taken my grandson to Tanzania on Safari (where we secured hippopotamus & plains game).

What cartridges will you be running out of the .308 Norma Magnum and the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser ?

What plains game's on your menu this time ?

Bob, there isn't anything wrong with my Whelen and I gave some very serious thought to taking it. The deciding factor was the possible distances involved. Four hundred yards is mentioned quite often and five hundred yards on occasion. I thought I'd be better off with a 30 caliber magnum of some sort. Besides that, I don't want to be accused of hoarding too many "safe queens." LOL

Hunter Habib, my oldest son is after a Cape Buffalo, I'm looking for a Bushbuck, a Red Lechwe and a Tsessebe, my grandson has a ten day - ten animal package booked. I'll be using 180 Gr. Norma Oryx in the 308 Norma Mag and 156 Gr. Norma Oryx in the 6.5 X 55. As you probably suspected, being able to say that I hunted Africa with my youngest grandson is the primary reason for going.

Good old Murphey, what would we do without him.

On the shot distance, just talk to your PH about what you are comfortable with.

Most of my shots a couple years ago were under 150 yards, and the ones that were stretching out there didn't have to of been taken. But I hunt here in the west where a 400 yard shot is quite common and I'm comfortable taking them.
I hunted the East Cape with Game 4 Africa. I did the following with their 7MM. Kudu 300 yards up hill. Zebra 75 yards. Impala 125 yards. Black Wildebeest 75 yards Springbok 280 yards. hope this helps

Good luck on the trip, the Eastern Cape is a great place to spend a Safari. Cant wait to read a report.
Best now to get Murphy out of the way than on the trip.
safe travels.

Art... Zero the .308 Norma at 200, the 6.5x55 at 100 and sally forth.
Both are outstanding cartridges for plains game.
99% of your shots for Cape Bushbuck will be under 100 and the 156gr Norma is the perfect medicine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mama24

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!