Getting Our Children Involved In Africa

Time afield with my family is always cherished, especially now that they are all adults and it is diffucult to get all the schedules to mesh. But Africa, well there's something special about the time we have been Blessed to spend there together. After my children had their first experience there, they knew why I had spoken to them about it with such passion.

A favorite photo from a family hunt to RSA back in '16
Family Warthog.JPG

I LOVE that! Especially "hurbavers". My husband and I were babysitting our grandkids today (4 and 9) and one of their favorite things to do is to go into our game room and see all the animals. We quiz them on which animals are which and make a game out of it. I pray that we can take them to Africa someday. I hope your little guys get to hunt lions, leopards, and cheetah's someday (although the last is probably out of bounds)!
Just thinking; imagine introducing Sue Tidwell's book into schools as required reading; oh, the outrage that would follow ...

took my 14 year old son this past year and he is hooked. He definitely wants to go back. He also learned alot about the stuff they say and try and tell you in the states about hunting African game and such is far from the truth he says it was an eye opener and now tells people all the time dont believe what you hear go see it for yourself.

Just curious, I have been fortunate and blessed to hunt Africa several times with several booked for future. I just got my 33 year old son going to Africa for his first safari with me. The excitement for both of us is unlike anything we have ever done! I am like a kid in a candy store getting him ready. My new wife thinks it’s great
What has been your experience on your child’s first safari with you?
I took James, my oldest (17 at the time), in 2011 to Namibia. We hunted and then went and visited my friends sheep farms and hunted some more with them.
I took Jasper, my youngest(13 & 16)to Namibia in 2019 and then to South Africa in 2022.
Ive also had the pleasure to take many others on their first safari. It is special and part of what drives me these days. There is nothing like a first safari!
Merry Christmas,
Philip

I lived and worked in Lagos, Nigeria for six years. During this period, my four daughters were in college in the US. My company would pay for two flights a years for kids in college, to come visit. We took full advantage of that and had some memorable photo safaris in several other African countries (RSA, Zam, Bots, Nam). It was a life changing event for my kids. My youngest daughter is the only one that hunts, and we've done two RSA and one Nam hunt together. Have a hunt to Zam booked for 2023. Fantastic memories!
I have four daughters too RF and we have done many bird shoots together with air rifles. Next year two of them are joining our group to hunt stags in the Scottish Highlands, they can't wait.

Just thinking; imagine introducing Sue Tidwell's book into schools as required reading; oh, the outrage that would follow ...
Gosh! Wouldn't that be something! Yes, I would really get the hate mail and death threats then. LOL. I would love to at least get it into schools for people who are getting into wildlife management. There are many now joining those ranks who have never hunted and also don't understand it. My other big dream is to get someone like Jenna Bush to choose it as one of her book club books. I figure being from Texas, she might be open to it. I just don't know how to get it to her. That would get the message to SOO many readers who otherwise will be so hard for me to reach.

I take school groups to a reserve in Moz to teach them about the wildlife, conservation, track and sign

they also spend a couple of days embedded in an anti poaching team and also a day with a local school
That is so wonderful! We just got back from Mozambique in May...and I fell in love with the kids there. Most had never seen a white person and and had never seem themselves on a phone. I would take pictures and vidoes of them and then show them. They would laugh and giggle and get so excited. My heart was so full.
Sue Tidwell-African safari adventure-big game hunting-wildlife conservation-kids3.png

Sue Tidwell-African safari adventure-big game hunting-wildlife conservation-kids1.jpeg

Sue Tidwell-African safari adventure-big game hunting-wildlife conservation-kids4.png

Time afield with my family is always cherished, especially now that they are all adults and it is diffucult to get all the schedules to mesh. But Africa, well there's something special about the time we have been Blessed to spend there together. After my children had their first experience there, they knew why I had spoken to them about it with such passion.

A favorite photo from a family hunt to RSA back in '16View attachment 506789
How wonderful that you all got to experience Africa together. I hope to be able to take our grandkids someday. AND, wow, it looks like you had a very successful hunt. It took Rick three safaris to get a warthog!

took my 14 year old son this past year and he is hooked. He definitely wants to go back. He also learned alot about the stuff they say and try and tell you in the states about hunting African game and such is far from the truth he says it was an eye opener and now tells people all the time dont believe what you hear go see it for yourself.
That is WONDERFUL to hear. Africa was an eye-opener for me too. I understood hunting in America (I grew up in a hunting family) but I was really skeptical of hunting in Africa (how could hunting such amazing animals be a good thing?)....until I went there with my husband and experienced it first hand. Now I am a passionate advocate. That is so cool that at only 14 years of age he is standing up to people and trying to help them understand. That takes courage in todays world. It gives me hope!

I took James, my oldest (17 at the time), in 2011 to Namibia. We hunted and then went and visited my friends sheep farms and hunted some more with them.
I took Jasper, my youngest(13 & 16)to Namibia in 2019 and then to South Africa in 2022.
Ive also had the pleasure to take many others on their first safari. It is special and part of what drives me these days. There is nothing like a first safari!
Merry Christmas,
Philip
I agree! Our Tanzanian safari changed my life....and although I keep wanting to go back again and again and see other countries, I don't think any will replicate those first magical moments in Africa.

There is nobody I’d rather go to Africa with than my two children. I first took them in 2009, when my son was 21 and daughter 19. It was a family vacation in South Africa with a little hunting included.

In 2019, I took my son again, this time on his first Buffalo hunt, to Tanzania. It was a very tough hunt due to record rains for December, but ended with a wonderful last minute buffalo for him.

Im taking my daughter and her boyfriend in February to Kenya for two weeks (photo trip as they don’t hunt) and they’ll climb Kilimanjaro during the 3rd week, after I return home. In August, I’m taking my now 35 year old son on his 2nd buffalo hunt, to the Selous with Alan Vincent.

I don’t have any specific plans to take them beyond this year, but I know I’ll take each of them again someday in the future. Sharing Africa with my kids has created some of my life’s greatest memories. I highly recommend everyone take their kids when old enough to accompany you.

View attachment 506546
Wow! What special times with your family. It is wonderful that you can share this special land with the people you love. Also, I LOVE this picture showing the entire group who made it possible! Congratulations on a great hunt.

Thank you very much. Words can not describe. BTW I ordered your book for my wife to get her ready.
Wonderful! Thank you so much for ordering the book. I hope your wife loves it. I'd love to hear what she thinks after she gets a chance to read it. I hope you all have a wonderful safari when you go!

I agree! Our Tanzanian safari changed my life....and although I keep wanting to go back again and again and see other countries, I don't think any will replicate those first magical moments in Africa.
Nothing like a first safari!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg