Gaiters or blousing garters?

I have all days worn pants while hunting. Shorts have never been my thing, unless I'm in high heat and humidity (Yucatan Mexico and Be!ize). I spent most of my life in Northern California where day time temps during deer season usually ran somewhere between 85 and 100 degrees. I once packed a buck up out of a canyon at 109! Africa has not seemed that hot or bug infested to me. I used to get bitten up by chiggers in NCal, but then I started rubbing DEET on my lower legs before getting dressed. I've continued this while hunting in Africa. I've never had a tick or chigger attack me while doing that., Anyway I figure I can stop any tick or chiggers with my .458, but the little monsters can be hard to hit when they're in a full frontal.charge.

Okay, that last bit was a joke, but the only time I've felt a need for gators was when I was hunting in snow. That will.not be a problem in Africa.
Chiggers, chiggers call for amputation of the limb!

I found these online. I may buy them and have them shipped to my outfitter.

An unfortunate name choice . I hope the wearers of these boots fare better than Burke and Wills .

I am heading to Mozambique on my first African safari this coming September. Curious as to whether Sitka / KUIU grade and type of gaiters would work in terms of all things ankle and calf bitters? I'm typically not a "shorts" wearing type person, so they would go over a typical hunting grade pant and boot per leg.

Another question, new guy stuff - can you bring DEET and the like in country with you to SA? I can't help but presume so.

Thanks all!

Matt

I've got a pair of Outdoor Vision gaiters. Love them but they definitely add a little heat to my legs. I mainly wear them in colder weather but they make a shorter version that comes a little above the ankle that would probably work good for higher temps.

Come on Gina, you know it's better to look good than feel good!! lol
I do not disagree! More often than not I sacrifice comfort for fashion :ROFLMAO:
I can tell you from personal painful experience that 4 and 5 inch heels for 12+ hours is not a fun time! :E Cry:

I wore full length gaiters from cabelas and treated them heavily with Sawyers, I’ve had lyme’s disease and do not want tick bite fever. They do make it easier to stomp through low mountain brush as well

I do not disagree! More often than not I sacrifice comfort for fashion :ROFLMAO:
I can tell you from personal painful experience that 4 and 5 inch heels for 12+ hours is not a fun time! :E Cry:

But, I'm sure @ActionBob doesn't complain at all. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I am heading to Mozambique on my first African safari this coming September. Curious as to whether Sitka / KUIU grade and type of gaiters would work in terms of all things ankle and calf bitters? I'm typically not a "shorts" wearing type person, so they would go over a typical hunting grade pant and boot per leg.

Another question, new guy stuff - can you bring DEET and the like in country with you to SA? I can't help but presume so.

Thanks all!

Matt
No if you are talking about the almost knee high ones, leave them home if tight on weight or take them as "just in case" things. They are going to be hot and miserably heavy on long stalks.

What you want are the Courtney type that go just above the ankle. I prefer leather but canvas works also.

Yes take deet! Take the high powered stuff and leave any extra for your PH. Deet is not available in Africa. Do not expect it to work on tsetse flies. For that you need elephant dung and a rubber snake. Your PH should have a gunny sack to gather and store elephant dung. You put the rubber snake in there to keep people from stealing your elephant shit. It is the most valuable commodity you will have in a tsetse fly area!

The Deet will keep mosquitoes off. But to the flies it is like hot BBQ sauce to a native Texan!

Screenshot_20240415-145409_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240415-145642_Chrome.jpg

I prefer hunting in shorts but on my last hunt in Namibia, it was cool to cold and wore pants more often. I applied DEET to my legs no matter which I was wearing. I had saturated both my pants and shorts as well as canvas gaiters with Permetherin before heading over. I wore the gaiters with both pants and shorts.

Not a recommendation exactly but I have Kenetrek gaiters that are occasionally useful. They do a good job of keeping briars from grabbing bootlaces, and with Permethrin treatment are an additional tick defense. They do make my lower legs hot, and they are the first thing I strip off given the chance. If I saw them on sale I'd pick up a 2nd pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.