Funny 7X57 Story

F. Vaccaro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
True story!
Once in a gun store I saw a Ruger #1 stamped .275 Rigby. The sales clerk was young, & as I handed the rifle back, I asked if they had any .275 Rigby ammo, I would have bought a couple boxes for my 7X57.
the young clerk said sadly, no I can sell someone the rifle, but no ammo. I asked if he had any 7X57 ammo. He said yes we have that. I told him sell the buyer some 7X57 ammo it’ll work fine only difference is the head stamp. He said really, I assured him it’d work fine.
I’m still not sure he believed me.
In a gun shop someone should educate the young/inexperienced.

Good thing you didn't mention 7mm Mauser. His head might have started spinning.

I’d venture a guess that 60-80% of the gun owning public doesn’t know what a .275 Rigby even is

And 7x57R. Talk to the kid about that, too!

True story!
Once in a gun store I saw a Ruger #1 stamped .275 Rigby. The sales clerk was young, & as I handed the rifle back, I asked if they had any .275 Rigby ammo, I would have bought a couple boxes for my 7X57.
the young clerk said sadly, no I can sell someone the rifle, but no ammo. I asked if he had any 7X57 ammo. He said yes we have that. I told him sell the buyer some 7X57 ammo it’ll work fine only difference is the head stamp. He said really, I assured him it’d work fine.
I’m still not sure he believed me.
In a gun shop someone should educate the young/inexperienced.
Now that's a story I can relate to! I worked at a large firearms store in Louisiana for a spell. We received some of those Rugers marked .275 Rigby and the owner went ballistic saying we didn't have the ammo for it. I told him we did. Just it was marked 7X57 and it was the same thing. Made $20 when he bet it wasn't. I'm going to build a rifle soon and have it chambered and marked .275 Rigby. I'll call it my WDM rifle.

Now that's a story I can relate to! I worked at a large firearms store in Louisiana for a spell. We received some of those Rugers marked .275 Rigby and the owner went ballistic saying we didn't have the ammo for it. I told him we did. Just it was marked 7X57 and it was the same thing. Made $20 when he bet it wasn't. I'm going to build a rifle soon and have it chambered and marked .275 Rigby. I'll call it my WDM rifle.

Have you thought about marking it .275 HV or .275 Bore? I'm not sure which exactly would have been on his rifles.

Not including the educated members on this site
Absolutely. I would never had heard of it if I didn’t stumble upon this site years ago. I’d still probably have my one 270, and be living in blissful ignorance!

This one!

C6E9EEF8-B819-454A-A15C-0631542E51A2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about marking it .275 HV or .275 Bore? I'm not sure which exactly would have been on his rifles.
CJW, it's something to think about. But no, it will be a .275 Rigby. Seems not too long ago I read where Rigby built a tribute rifle to WDM Bell in 275 (as engraved on the barrel) Rigby from records they keep based on his order from that fine firm of gun makers true to the specs for the original rifle. Oh how I lusted over the pictures of that rifle. LOL!!

I can't find any pictures of his rifle that actually show any marking's. These are all I could find just now of the tribute rifle.

View attachment 482577

View attachment 482578
Ah yes. That's the tribute rifle. A beauty is she not? I could be wrong but I do remember reading that Bell's rifle was in .275 Rigby. Thanks for the pictures.

Here’s an even funnier story. I went to a local gun store to have my 7x57mm Mauser reblued. The clerk shows me a Remington Model 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum and told me that I should replace my outdated caliber rifle with something new like the 7mm Remington Magnum. I asked him (for kicks) why I should do that. His reply was “Umm, because everything’s better if it’s a Magnum”.

Needless to say, I was not amused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TedWearing

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross